1 2 3 >  Last ›

Poll: Should Nhoj Get His Hair Cut?... and provide pictures..

Yes

No

FUN with NHOJ: A Prog Rock Chronicle

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4903
Joined  19-08-2010

01 February 2013 18:32

“Hats Off To Us All.”
An Album by Nhoj Morley.

Pre-Production Review.

I was sat in my rocking chair, waiting expectantly for the postman, when he finally appears and ambles haplessly around the fence and across my lawn towards my front door, a small bead of sweat rolled down my temple onto my cheek, making me shiver in anticipation as the familiar click and rattle of my letter box prompted me to rise and rush to the door in excitement…  “Will it be today?”, I hoped it would be, I have been waiting eagerly for a week now for my very own copy of that Morley epic “Hats Off To Us All”... and I wasn’t going to be disappointed.

The package was much larger than I had expected…and oddly shaped too, looked like it had been twice around the world, with stickers from various countries plastered all over it and a multitude of rubber stamp marks and hand written scribbles in a variety of languages. This package had been on a journey… probably to.. and back from another dimension….

I tore it open..then unwrapped and unrolled the old piece of parchment, tied with a ribbon and secured with a wax seal, which had added to this package’s queer shape and size, then I read these words, clearly written in black ink and by it’s style, obviously penned with an old quill… “Keep this to yourself…  only listen to this in a darkened room.. by candle light…” ...I continued to read this obscure list of instructions, too strange and perverse to share here with all… but… after removing the gilded goat horn from my bottom and applying the stated amount of patchouli to my brow…I was ready to go!!!!

I intend to give this Album, “Hats Off To Us All”,  my full attention, so far I am only listening to a few tracks at a time… I will report back on their style, progression, and any changes they make to my physical or mental state… so far I feel a swelling, but it is early and I may need to go to the loo….

Track 1:- Going North
Track 2:- Hats Off
Track 3:- Basket Case

I’m already amazed at the quality of the recording and musicianship, you can tell someone has taken time to get these first few tracks just right, they remind me of a movie soundtrack a journey into an unknown land, or an eery folk rock type ballad you would hear from someone like Jethro Tull or ELP, I could imagine a flute player spinning on his heels… I really like this… wish you guys could hear this too… “Basket Case” is more complex in its chord progression.. it is very well structured, it creates a real atmosphere, a true feeling of someones confusion and angst.

...One worrying development I did notice in the attached post script was a message from Nhoj which said..“If this does not go well for me, then I will consider cutting my hair and moving to Chokpori in the hills of Tibet to live out my days…”

Well…should Nhoj cut his hair or not… it could sap his powers??

[ Edited: 19 April 2016 23:07 by MARTIN_UK]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6336
Joined  22-02-2005

02 February 2013 02:19

Good Lord. You were meant to be my reviewer not my publicist.

He meant LEGUME:.  Leguuume:.

In America, basketcase is one word.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

02 February 2013 02:43

I’m highly pissed and offended that I don’t have a copy of this. What and whom do I need to pay? Six years here - I deserve a listen. And no hair cut, not one hair.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

02 February 2013 04:31

Nhoj Morley - 02 February 2013 01:19 AM

Good Lord. You were meant to be my reviewer not my publicist.

One tells it as one sees it. You should be proud… and send me half the money.

He meant LEGUME:.  Leguuume:.

No need to go all peas, beans and pulses…

In America, basketcase is one word.

Forget the misdirection… nevermind the spelling, it’s ‘bout de music man….  and what about that hair..  wink

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

02 February 2013 04:50

Ecurb Noselrub - 02 February 2013 01:43 AM

I’m highly pissed and offended that I don’t have a copy of this. What and whom do I need to pay? Six years here - I deserve a listen.

It is really good Bruce, but it is just a pre-production copy I have been privileged to listen to, I know what it’s like recording your own music…you’re never satisfied and can keep on tinkering forever.

And no hair cut, not one hair.

No… some folk never look back you know.

Look at Michael Bolton, he didn’t wait until he looked like Terry Nutkins before shaving his locks… he got in there early.

Image Attachments

bolton.jpeg
bolton2.jpeg
nutkins.jpeg

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

02 February 2013 14:28

Yes you do deserve one, Bruce.

There are three copies: a gave one to my daughter a week ago it’s still sitting right I where I left it: Mart has one: and there’s one in the car.
The problem is, four of those tracks are already out of date and now it is a total embarassment to know they are out there.

I will start a web page somewhere eventually. I have old stuff that I want to update a bit and I started an atheist campfire song that got bogged down in technical issues and lost its mo.

It was more FUN to talk about it when no one knew what it was. Not sure why. Today, it’s more finish coat bass tracks with the giant Michael Kelly Dragonfly five-string. It is like playing a bathtub. The bronze-wound strings turn your fingertips green. I can’t keep my hands warm. It’s chilly down here. Must turn on power amps for heat.

Mart, you have to make that say legume. Thank you. That’s a thoughtful compromise.

Most of the tracks are made with these guys…

[ Edited: 02 February 2013 15:07 by Nhoj Morley]
Image Attachments

guitars 017a.jpg

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

02 February 2013 15:10

Nhoj Morley - 02 February 2013 01:28 PM

...The problem is, four of those tracks are already out of date and now it is a total embarassment to know they are out there.

Ok…I will spare you any more blushes..can’t tell which tracks you find embarrassing though, usually I would write material and it would immediately become the bands song, hardly resembling my original idea when it was eventually performed, yours too could carry on evolving for ever.

I will start a web page somewhere eventually. I have old stuff that I want to update a bit and I started an atheist campfire song that got bogged down in technical issues and lost its mo.

There are ways you could share the odd track with all.. only when they are ready of course, SOUNDCLOUD is an easy way.

It was more FUN to talk about it when no one knew what it was. Not sure why. Today, it’s more finish coat bass tracks with the giant Michael Kelly Dragonfly five-string. It is like playing a bathtub. The bronze-wound strings turn your fingertips green.

Nice looking axes, very nice tone they have too…

Mart, you have to make that say legume. Please.

Alright…OK…. Is that any better…  grin

My pleasure…  wink

[ Edited: 02 February 2013 15:21 by MARTIN_UK]

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

04 February 2013 06:03

Don’t be scared to vote… or post a picture even.. here is my suggestion.

Image Attachments

hair style.jpeg

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

04 February 2013 14:22

MARTIN UK - 04 February 2013 05:03 AM

I vote for that!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

04 February 2013 14:58

Here’s another folksy note from the pooka blind:

All these acoustic guitars don’t need a microphone and only work with 9 volt batteries in them. The only one that doesn’t need a battery is the so-called “electric” guitar.

Was that poor Anson Mount again?

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

04 February 2013 17:19

Dennis Campbell - 04 February 2013 01:22 PM
MARTIN UK - 04 February 2013 05:03 AM

I vote for that!

Thanks Dennis… I was sure there would be more takers… I guess the fate of ones locks, especially Nhoj’s, is not a decision to be taken lightly

Nhoj Morley - 04 February 2013 01:58 PM

All these acoustic guitars don’t need a microphone and only work with 9 volt batteries in them. The only one that doesn’t need a battery is the so-called “electric” guitar.

It is ironic… I had a Jackson with a Floyd Rose locking trem and active pickups about 20yrs ago, could make it sound like just about any other “CockRock” guitar on the market at the time… just got my SG now… it does the trick.

Was that poor Anson Mount again?

HA!!... more like his banjo playing nephew, born to his brother and sister by the looks of it.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

04 February 2013 17:24

Thanks Dennis: I was sure there would be more takers: I guess the fate of ones locks, especially Nhoj’s, is not a decision to be taken lightly

I’m still mourning the loss of mine!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

09 February 2013 10:12

Martin is still waiting for the drum solo to end.

cunjevoi

cunjevoi
Total Posts:  720
Joined  31-08-2011

09 February 2013 11:16

Nhoj Morley - 09 February 2013 09:12 AM

Moby Dick! Or… so many people thought.

I want IN on the psychedelic soundscape bliss man.

My band performs:

Some original material (vocal harmony laden, folksie and djangly)
Neil Young covers
Oz-Rock classics (acoustic takes)
Yacht-Rock
A bit of Brit-Pop

We could easily slot in a lilting, Leguminous piece(?) Share the love man!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

09 February 2013 12:10

cunjevoi - 09 February 2013 10:16 AM

I want IN on the psychedelic soundscape bliss man.

My band performs:

Yacht-Rock

Share the love man!

I have scored another one week vacation and will go full pooka again. After that, we’ll see:

I am crazy enough to snail mail a CD to anyone who asks. I am looking at hosting options. I should at least satisfy anyone’s curiousity. I’m not looking for a fan club or a future: it’s just FUN to talk about.

What the heck is Yacht-Rock? Is that like Segar and Skynard only played in tune and in suits?

This is no psycho-project. It is 1973-like. Woody. I want to hear the sheer weight of the old gear. I remember lugging it around. Deep Purple meets Monty Python. Tull meets Top Gear. Fairport goes Firesign. It’s like that.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

09 February 2013 14:27

Nhoj Morley - 09 February 2013 09:12 AM

Sorry man… I am still here, listened to the whole CD several times now properly and it’s on a rolling repeat I’m in the car, I am noticing the finer points (top hats and funny noises), that must go hand in hand with your own brand of Pooka, that comes over very well indeed.

It really has got that 1973 feel to it, but hard to nail down by simply saying it compares with any particular artist, that wouldn’t do it justice I don’t think.

Did you say you were going to put extra layers of guitar on some tracks.. and toms maybe??
For me the vocals were always a sticking point, I could never satisfy myself, especially if I was double tracking them. 
At the moment even as it is, you could easily compare it to a movie soundtrack, there is enough variety of light and shade, enough changes in pace and emotion.

What I really want to hear is what you consider to be the “finished article”... now… must I wait once again for the postman??

You could even upload a single track once you are satisfied it’s finished.

When are your Jolly Holidays, are you considering a trim, ever considered a topknot??

Getting a lot of NO! votes for the hair cut idea Nhoj… seems we are all a bit more superstitious here than we thought we were…  wink

[ Edited: 09 February 2013 14:32 by MARTIN_UK]
Image Attachments

top knot.jpeg

1 2 3 >  Last ›