‹ First  < 18 19 20

Poll: Should Nhoj Get His Hair Cut?... and provide pictures..

Yes

No

FUN with NHOJ: A Prog Rock Chronicle

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4877
Joined  19-08-2010

30 October 2017 08:59

Jb8989 - 30 October 2017 05:45 AM
Nhoj Morley - 29 October 2017 10:46 AM

Vaguely Halloween-like.

Incident #7: Smoke

Is that a flute in the background?

Only flutes were on Nhoj’s fancy fluted sleeved shirt, noticeable as he twirled and swayed merrily across the stage… thank you Wembley!!

[ Edited: 30 October 2017 10:31 by MARTIN_UK]
Image Attachments

sleeves.jpg

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6177
Joined  22-02-2005

31 December 2017 20:16

I did have a shirt like that once.

With the imminent arrival of the new year, this year’s Progressive Rock Concept Album (PRCA) hits its deadline with only half the items finished. There may be time left to finish the rest but I better hurry.

I apologize for any lax moderation in recent weeks and I will get back on the stick. This stuff gets more FUN when an imaginary deadline pressurizes the pace into a sleepless and surreal safari.

Snuggle up in some man-pants and surrender to some proggish rockification with supporting roles provided by C-SPAN. Any resulting discomfort or unpleasant reactions will not reflect on posting status. As always, this is not a disciplinary measure.

In the War Zone: Book One

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

01 April 2018 08:41

Thread Finale-

Nearly six years ago now, I was wondering if I needed a haircut.

I didn’t know what I was seeing in the mirror anymore. To sort out the answer, I built a little studio out of craigslist bits. I had a head full of unfinished and unrealized projects that I had been toting around for decades like caged dragons. Other people learned useful skills in their lives. I learned how to make progressive rock concept albums. It was time to put up or shut up and trim.

The first year was horrible. I was put off by how hard I had to push myself to get something passable. Posting items in progress was a strong motivation to keep working on tracks and parts beyond my usual point of “that’ll do”. Practice, practice. Do a second hundred takes if necessary. Recording studios are shiny mirrors that reflect your limitations, delusions and foolhardiness. As a strictly personal pursuit, it is self-wrestling that is best unseen.

Now I find myself in a strange position. My website turned five years old this last month with seventy-plus music tracks on it. All the dragons have been freed. The last of them has reached completion. The bats have left the belfry. Perseverance, even when pointless, pays off eventually. I can hardly believe I got here.

The final PRCA in the fleet is a musical-comedy called In the War Zone. There was an accompanying political adventure-comedy story set in the mid-80’s that has been updated with current events. The parallels between the two times are air-striking. There are lots of gags and no trioon. It is just a synopsis but it might of made a very silly movie. It can found on its own page here.

So that’s it. The tale told by this thread is over. I’m caught up with a clean slate and no idea what is next. Maybe I’ll get a haircut. It won’t change what I see in the mirror now.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

01 April 2018 17:13

Hey… that’ll do Morley, that will do.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

25 August 2018 11:23

As of today, I am on holiday until the 4th. That means it’s time for another prog rock safari in the Pooka Blind. The mission is to kick off two noisy bits, The King’s Dream and Breakfast of Champions, that were left undone two years ago.

By the end of the year, the psycho-russo-pseudo-symphony The Boy-King at the Battle of Dickland will be a complete PRCA with a story told as Epic Doggerel.

Then, another project will start next year that brings the Harris Forum, nyeep pools, podcasts and prog rock together into one big adventure in audibility. This concept album will feature The Boss, Joni Mitchell, Free Will and as many patrons as I can coax into participating.

While Mart is on his bike, I’ll be on tympanis. No worries, though. LJ will be staring at fish and waiting to tackle all your forum concerns.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

25 August 2018 12:51

Nhoj Morley - 25 August 2018 11:23 AM

...While Mart is on his bike, I’ll be on tympanis. No worries, though. LJ will be staring at fish and waiting to tackle all your forum concerns.

Hoorah!!!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

04 September 2018 16:20

Update from the Pooka Blind…

Secular shit! Guess who came along on the safari? All this week, I’ve had the ghost of Robert Shaw looking over my shoulder. He won’t shut up and shifts through all his memorable characters. One minute, he’s a green army guy barking about sucking it up and don’t be a pussy. The next minute, he’s Mike Pence and pulling the headphone chord tight around my neck. Didn’t he do any nice guys?

All this rain has submerged the Blind in water and the current item submerge in my subconscious. Quint says more air guitars will bring it to the surface. “It can’t stay under with three. Not with three!”

I sent him off to manly the bilge pump so I can get something wrapped up and mounted on a stick before werk resumes its torture. “Aarrgh! Pookin’ for livin’. Aarrgh!”

[ Edited: 04 September 2018 23:54 by Nhoj Morley]

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17337
Joined  15-02-2008

04 September 2018 20:02

Nhoj Morley - 04 September 2018 04:20 PM

Update from the Pooka Blind…

Secular shit! Guess who came along on the safari? All this week, I’ve had the ghost of Robert Shaw looking over my shoulder. He won’t shut up and shifts through all his memorable characters. One minute, he’s a green army guy barking about sucking it up and don’t be a pussy. The next minute, he’s Mike Pence and pulling the headphone chord tight around my neck. Didn’t he do any nice guys?

All this rain has submerged the Blind in water and the current item submerge in my subconscious. Quint says more air guitars will bring it to the surface. “It can’t stay under with three. Not with three!”

I sent him off to manly the bilge pump so I can get something wrapped up and mounted on a stick before werk resumes it torture. “Aarrgh! Pookin’ for livin’. Aarrgh!”

Holy secular shit! It took me 10m to decrypt that post, Shaw has been dead for 40 years.

Image Attachments

DLphAdxV4AEmZcu.jpg

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

04 September 2018 20:47

Aarrgh!

Image Attachments

aarrgh_a.jpg

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17337
Joined  15-02-2008

04 September 2018 21:43

Nhoj Morley - 04 September 2018 08:47 PM

Aarrgh!

Indeed!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

25 December 2018 09:00

At last, my own source of Xmas cheer,
At last, my new mp3’s are here.

As many have pointed out, I need to address my resampling problem. Resampling is a fuss-free way to digitally mix instruments together but it can do a poor job of preserving the info that needs to be exactly the same in the right and left channel. That is how stereo makes a phantom middle. However, it makes assembling bulking orchestrations manageable. And it makes mp3’s play like a bad smell.

The New Way involves eliminating all resampled submixes, setting it up so every original source plays at once, and hoping it runs all the way through without asking if I want to send an error report. I have commandeered the company computer with its vast hard drive to handle a high-end and fuss-filled audio recording of the same analog signal that goes to my stereo. The only resampling involved is the crush-down to the mp3 format. It has long nagged at me how far short the site comes compared to my stereo. I can live with these.

All the items from In the War Zone and Beefcake Madness now uphold the new standards. I still do not uphold Brother Mario’s musical standards or follow his advice. Too busy. Progs gotta prog. Folks who don’t go it for now have one less reason.

I don’t have any Xmas music but I can offer something upbeat, ornamental and wordless. A sampling of no resampling…
Sonar
Travel Prayer

Tis likely far too late to care
though its truly all I have to share
...other than that trioon stuff
but I’ll sleep better knowing these are up.

[ Edited: 30 December 2018 16:10 by Nhoj Morley]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

19 March 2019 02:42

My site has turned six years old and it is time to remember my paypal password.

The pooka blind was started up after spending a couple grand or so on some really old gear. Seven years later, I’ve squeezed fifty-plus items out of it. If it all stopped today, I would be content that I seized the opportunity when I could. I’m at a crossroad between the old and new. Things are different now. My cat owes me money. But never mind that.

I’ve always wanted to make a shameless pseudo-symphony but no more. I have one parked in a jewel case on the little shelf behind me. Getting it there is the FUN part. The little shelf is always the end of ride.

When I started on it and its story in the spring/summer of 2015, the world was still normal and Trump was just a snicker. Then he became the Boy-King who won the Battle (TV debates) of Dickland (the Republican Party). Anyone who dabbles in political satire is finding it hard to keep up. The reality of trump eventually infested this project. Plans for the final scene mutated into a search for a certain buzzing sound to represent the background or ambient sound of the trumpish White House. Something like a Tawas Hum of the Oval Office… a half-heard sum-total of all energy emissions.

Breakfast in Dickland is the last item to roll out of the blind before the power was shut off for a refit and some vacuuming. Yes, those are real ducks. Mostly geese but ducks, too. The door to the pooka blind is always open to marginalized and sexually-abused poultry. This flatulent release serves as the very silly bonus track (with its own bonus bonus track) to The Boy-King at the Battle of Dickland, which now has all its bits included.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

19 March 2019 10:18

Nhoj Morley - 19 March 2019 02:42 AM

Breakfast in Dickland is the last item to roll out of the blind before the power was shut off for a refit and some vacuuming. Yes, those are real ducks. Mostly geese but ducks, too. The door to the pooka blind is always open to marginalized and sexually-abused poultry. This flatulent release serves as the very silly bonus track (with its own bonus bonus track) to The Boy-King at the Battle of Dickland, which now has all its bits included.

This post is foul I mean fowl… sorry…  got my coat on already and one foot out the door. cheese

‹ First  < 18 19 20