< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

Poll: Should Nhoj Get His Hair Cut?... and provide pictures..

Yes

No

FUN with NHOJ: A Prog Rock Chronicle

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  22-02-2005

11 March 2013 17:07

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 11 March 2013 10:51 AM

Should that have been ‘triune’ rather than ‘trioone? I’m never sure.

The official franchise spelling is “trioon”. (any number of o’s more than two is okay)

Thanks, (Rob).
I am all about Beethoven. And Brahms, Rimsky-Korsakov, Grieg: Hovanis, Prokofiev, Bach:

I always say that I do rock music but don’t listen to much of it. I like stuff with symphonic ambitions or stuff that is too much FUN to ignore. Like Primus. Tool. Others I can’t think of right now.

I like music that doesn’t require forty limber athletes and a choreographer to make sense.

[ Edited: 04 April 2013 13:08 by Nhoj Morley]

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4916
Joined  19-08-2010

11 March 2013 18:52

Nhoj Morley - 11 March 2013 12:48 AM

My thanks to everyone, especially Martin, for all the encouragement. You have no idea how hard it was to push the activate button.

But it was well worth it, like Rob I enjoyed those subtle little touches you added, that are only visible to the experienced ear, I too have spent hours of studio time, searching for just the right sound to match the pooka I’ve chased in my head.
It can be long and often laborious… so hats off to you Nhoj Morley.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

26 March 2013 17:10

My best pal Tom was the loudest, brashest and most energized kid in all of sixth grade. He would run up to girls and look them right in the face and shout, “Kumquats!” He was the band’s soundman since we were twelve. We rode bikes in all the places we shouldn’t. I steal his best lines.

“America must be protected from those who have yet to be blinded by the pure white light illuminating our reason.”

Tom took his own life just about ten years ago now and no one has filled the gap he left. Twenty-six years ago, we co-wrote a radio comedy called Zug Island: An American Dream. He was fascinated with industrial wastelands and loved to take photographs of the Rouge River area. He fell through some old flooring in an abandon building and had to get pins in his bones. He was lucky to have been found at all in pre-cellphone days.

We would get together for script sessions at his dining table. He liked to write on the old splined computer paper and leave it all connected so it would zig-zag across the table. The first night, we watched Ed Meese on TV begin the Iran Contra Affair and we were done before Ollie North hit the telly. Writing was a contest to see who could make who choke from giggling first. He would often win by describing highly detailed absurd scenes like a frustrated Army Corp of Engineers trying to recreate a traffic accident by dropping larger and larger plaster statues onto larger and larger snack-cake delivery trucks without ever producing the desired effect.

All four half-hour episodes of Zug Island are now available on my page thingie. There’s an info page and four pages of tracks. If you’re clip-curious, try track one of Episode Two. The narrator is my late pal Andy. I’m obvious and Tom, or Sir Bubbles Varoom as I promised to credit him, is the voice that had to be found by saying “kumquats” just before every take.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

26 March 2013 18:50

Nhoj Morley - 26 March 2013 04:10 PM

My best pal Tom was the loudest, brashest and most energized kid in all of sixth grade. He would run up to girls and look them right in the face and shout, “Kumquats!” He was the band’s soundman since we were twelve. We rode bikes in all the places we shouldn’t. I steal his best lines.

“America must be protected from those who have yet to be blinded by the pure white light illuminating our reason.”

Tom took his own life just about ten years ago now and no one has filled the gap he left. Twenty-six years ago, we co-wrote a radio comedy called Zug Island: An American Dream. He was fascinated with industrial wastelands and loved to take photographs of the Rouge River area. He fell through some old flooring in an abandon building and had to get pins in his bones. He was lucky to have been found at all in pre-cellphone days.

We would get together for script sessions at his dining table. He liked to write on the old splined computer paper and leave it all connected so it would zig-zag across the table. The first night, we watched Ed Meese on TV begin the Iran Contra Affair and we were done before Ollie North hit the telly. Writing was a contest to see who could make who choke from giggling first. He would often win by describing highly detailed absurd scenes like a frustrated Army Corp of Engineers trying to recreate a traffic accident by dropping larger and larger plaster statues onto larger and larger snack-cake delivery trucks without ever producing the desired effect.

All four half-hour episodes of Zug Island are now available on my page thingie. There’s an info page and four pages of tracks. If you’re clip-curious, try track one of Episode Two. The narrator is my late pal Andy. I’m obvious and Tom, or Sir Bubbles Varoom as I promised to credit him, is the voice that had to be found by saying “kumquats” just before every take.

Tom sounds like an interesting guy.. and for many of us, just to leave any lasting impression, whether it be via music art or just the ass mark you leave on the sofa after you’ve gone, that everyone knows was yours, is all we can really hope for.
Was it hard to write your stuff without his input? It’s often good to have someone who is honest, not frightened to speak up enough to say what is good when composing and what they think you need to “re-vamp”.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  10-03-2013

26 March 2013 19:54

Nhoj Morley - 26 March 2013 04:10 PM

It sounds like the script was a back and forth between two writers, I tried that once but I don’t think the other person liked where I took the story, tell me what you think. 

http://www.thecouchforum.com/comments.php?id=1868

I tried to end it on the second page at Finis, I don’t think Henry liked what I was doing.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

27 March 2013 04:30

Nhoj, you need to put a link to your site that’s easier to find I reckon, why not embed it in your “Delude Responsibly” signature..?

Number one son has been busy too… I like his take on Bon Jovi’s “Wanted…”

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

27 March 2013 05:23

Zug was no jousting match. Tom and I bubbled up from the same cauldron at near the same time. We had cooked up the story nine years earlier in ‘77. Our only quarrel was length. He would’ve written twenty episodes. Four was hard enough. 

I don’t want to be ostentatious or look like a spammer. I figured a few folks would satisfy their curiosity and then the cobwebs would grow on it all. I’ve only mentioned it in this thread. I have not told anyone else that it is there because I’m just getting the hang of it. I discovered that I have an activity page that says I’ve had over 3000 hits. I find that very difficult to believe if not entirely impossible.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

27 March 2013 06:16

Nhoj Morley - 27 March 2013 04:23 AM

Zug was no jousting match. Tom and I bubbled up from the same cauldron at near the same time. We had cooked up the story nine years earlier in ‘77. Our only quarrel was length. He would’ve written twenty episodes. Four was hard enough. 

I don’t want to be ostentatious or look like a spammer. I figured a few folks would satisfy their curiosity and then the cobwebs would grow on it all. I’ve only mentioned it in this thread. I have not told anyone else that it is there because I’m just getting the hang of it. I discovered that I have an activity page that says I’ve had over 3000 hits. I find that very difficult to believe if not entirely impossible.

I don’t think it would be pretentious in any way buddy, you’re an enigmatic guy and people here like to look behind the curtain, especially the shower curtain.. and I understand that can be something that could leave one feeling a bit exposed… but it’s all good, interesting stuff… personally I would have it all lobbed out and be proudly standing, hands on hips!!..  grin

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

04 April 2013 13:09

News from the pooka blind:

Every progressive rock concept album should have one dreadful, overlong and over-ambitious song. Mine is track 16. It has eaten the last three weekends and still sounds like rummaging through a kitchen cabinet. I’ll post it if and when it ever achieves musicality. Then, the little silly thing and the jig will complete the roster. Hopefully, they will all evolve quickly after that.

The deprevation of the concept album lifestyle is taking its toll. The sheer weight of this much pretention is too much to bear some days. Mr. Townsend knows. I watched the documentary about The Who’s Quadrophenia explore a fine example of indulgent concept album madness. Sanity is suspended as an impediment to the troubled, misunderstood artist who must destroy the studio to save it.

More interestingly, and some weeks ago now, I died of malaria.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3425
Joined  26-03-2013

04 April 2013 16:48

You are indeed a very strange breed of cat sir.  I like Efin Faeries and Don’t Wanna Be A…

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

04 April 2013 17:05

Nhoj Morley - 04 April 2013 11:09 AM

More interestingly, and some weeks ago now, I died of malaria.

Please offer my condolences to those who have lost you… I am personally still in the numbness that precedes denial…  I weep for you, I deeply sympathize.

Now that said, reminded me of this:-

‘I weep for you,’ the Walrus said:
‘I deeply sympathize.’
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

‘O Oysters,’ said the Carpenter,
‘You’ve had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?’
But answer came there none—
And this was scarcely odd, because
They’d eaten every one!

How many hits has the site had now buddy?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

04 April 2013 17:32

I am absolutely not looking. Haven’t been there since the 200 hours it took to load Zug. This weekend I’ll post Dave’s Harper thing: if I can remember what it was. Fek Harpers.

Thank you, Ms. Jane.

“No ma’am, I said elves and faeries.”

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

04 April 2013 19:00

Nhoj Morley - 04 April 2013 03:32 PM

I am absolutely not looking. Haven’t been there since the 200 hours it took to load Zug. This weekend I’ll post Dave’s Harper thing: if I can remember what it was. Fek Harpers.

The GLF here? Excellent. That’s a thread I’ll look forward to. Once it’s here, all Harper’s will be able to do is take excerpts from it. Unfortunately, they probably won’t see it. But we’ll have fun.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21915
Joined  11-03-2007

05 April 2013 01:43

I’m thinking about buying the rights to your music for the soundtrack of my next zombie movie. It’s about a herd of the walking dead moving north through Texas from Mexico. They are mistaken for faeries by a local Irish community. They splash around in rivers and stop by lakes on their way through the Texas Hill Country. Finally, they find the area inhospitable and return south. They don’t like the taste of Texan flesh.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

05 April 2013 02:05

Ecurb Noselrub - 04 April 2013 11:43 PM

I’m thinking about buying the rights to your music for the soundtrack of my next zombie movie. It’s about a herd of the walking dead moving north through Texas from Mexico. They are mistaken for faeries by a local Irish community. They splash around in rivers and stop by lakes on their way through the Texas Hill Country. Finally, they find the area inhospitable and return south. They don’t like the taste of Texan flesh.

Texas zombie music? I am off-track. Hats Off: is spoken for.

However, you are welcome to use Walk of the Dead. It’s in the next upload batch.

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›