< 1 2

NOW This is What I call Science!

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7958
Joined  20-02-2006

24 February 2013 17:49

Hannah2 - 24 February 2013 03:59 PM

My two sons were very into video games when they were younger.  They’d tell me, “Mom, you should see this new game!  The resolution is so awesome and realisitic!”  I’d look and think, hey this has nowhere near the richness of just looking outside.  Not that the games weren’t fun.

Two days ago I came across this one inch red mushroom, the only one of its kind I’ve seen here.  It was too low to the ground to see the underside.  I used a pocket mirror so as not to disturb it.  Besides showing the gills, the mirror revealed that someone had moved in.  I can imagine him inspecting the apartment - great light!  Great rafters!  I’ll take it!  A one week lease?

Image Attachments

IMG_1046.jpg

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6872
Joined  15-05-2009

24 February 2013 20:43

unsmoked - 24 February 2013 04:49 PM
Hannah2 - 24 February 2013 03:59 PM

My two sons were very into video games when they were younger.  They’d tell me, “Mom, you should see this new game!  The resolution is so awesome and realisitic!”  I’d look and think, hey this has nowhere near the richness of just looking outside.  Not that the games weren’t fun.

Two days ago I came across this one inch red mushroom, the only one of its kind I’ve seen here.  It was too low to the ground to see the underside.  I used a pocket mirror so as not to disturb it.  Besides showing the gills, the mirror revealed that someone had moved in.  I can imagine him inspecting the apartment - great light!  Great rafters!  I’ll take it!  A one week lease?

Wow, that’s a cool shot!

I used to live in the wet northwest, with lots of ‘shrooms.  Now I live in the dry west.  I miss all the molderly surprises.  Though sometimes we get some nice puffballs here as well as earth stars.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

25 February 2013 18:21

Hannah2 - 24 February 2013 07:43 PM

I used to live in the wet northwest, with lots of ‘shrooms.  Now I live in the dry west.  I miss all the molderly surprises.  Though sometimes we get some nice puffballs here as well as earth stars.

Last fall I saw this one growing at the base of an old-growth stump - a Douglas fir giant that was probably logged about a hundred years ago.  Like the red mushroom above, this is the only one of its kind I’ve seen in these woods.  I looked it up and found that it belongs to a group called cauliflower mushrooms.  This one was the size of a large cauliflower and it remained in good shape for over a month despite rain and frost.  The critters didn’t touch it.
Every day I could see it glowing among the dark leaves as though illuminated from within.

Image Attachments

IMG_0426.jpg

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6872
Joined  15-05-2009

25 February 2013 23:18

unsmoked - 25 February 2013 05:21 PM
Hannah2 - 24 February 2013 07:43 PM

Last fall I saw this one growing at the base of an old-growth stump - a Douglas fir giant that was probably logged about a hundred years ago.  Like the red mushroom above, this is the only one of its kind I’ve seen in these woods.  I looked it up and found that it belongs to a group called cauliflower mushrooms.  This one was the size of a large cauliflower and it remained in good shape for over a month despite rain and frost.  The critters didn’t touch it.
Every day I could see it glowing among the dark leaves as though illuminated from within.

Cool again!
You are inspiring me to start taking more nature photos.
I didn’t know these mushrooms were truly bioluminescent!

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

28 February 2013 15:22

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

28 February 2013 17:55

Dennis Campbell - 28 February 2013 02:22 PM

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/28/17123686-two-rats-thousands-of-miles-apart-cooperate-telepathically-via-brain-implant?lite

Wow!  Maybe some day I can tell my computer what I really think of her!

I’ve heard that when some trees get attacked by caterpillars they produce tannin to defend themselves, and other trees ‘smell’ the tannin and start producing it themselves.  Researchers are finding that plants do communicate with each other.  http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormonal_sentience

Not the same as the two rats, but there must be all kinds of signalling going on besides the visible and obvious.  (Like the owner of a mean dog telling you, “Relax!  He can smell your fear.”)

< 1 2