1 2 > 

After Hitchens and Dawkins

Jorn_Norway

Jorn_Norway
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-03-2013

13 March 2013 20:27

I see the need for more charismatic leaders like Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris,
but who will these be, and responding to this topic dont say; you (me),  i get the argument.

My suggestion would be adding leaders and charismatic people, prefferably women and men,
from each field of science and philosopy, instead of some that argue or side on several.

To bridge the gap between expertice and non-espertice on common topics.

We need this in the years to come, to get ordinary people to understand that their
believes have been indoctrinated over hundreds of years.

And that we understand their reason for being in this position feeling disloyality
if they go against, not only with their own family and friends, but also the fear
of opposing organisations, and other forums of faith.

[ Edited: 13 March 2013 21:27 by Jorn_Norway]

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

14 March 2013 12:16

Jerry Coyne, Lawrence Krauss, PZ Myers. There are some to pass the torch to.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Total Posts:  6576
Joined  23-05-2008

14 March 2013 12:27

Epaminondas - 14 March 2013 11:16 AM

Jerry Coyne, Lawrence Krauss, PZ Myers. There are some to pass the torch to.

Yes, all of those, Epam. And us. Many of us here are children of the Four Horsemen and we are as necessary as they are if a secular humanist view of the world is to take hold. Let us go forth and spread the good news.

Mike78

Mike78
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  05-06-2012

14 March 2013 14:51

Okay, okay…I’ll do it.  Burn the stuff that makes the white smoke.

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

14 March 2013 19:03

Richard Carrier, Dan Barker, John Loftus.

Jorn_Norway

Jorn_Norway
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-03-2013

15 March 2013 01:47

Thanks for the info.

Great that they actually are themselves when they give these talks.

Cioran

Cioran
Total Posts:  258
Joined  06-03-2013

16 March 2013 01:35

*Can’t stop shuddering*

Er, I’m an atheist, none of these people speak for me.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  22-02-2005

16 March 2013 02:08

Me either.

At least we have Stewart and Colbert.

Cioran

Cioran
Total Posts:  258
Joined  06-03-2013

16 March 2013 02:38

P. Z. Myers. That’s a good one.

*shudders uncontrollably*

Maybe P.Z. will bring along his infantile co-blogger, who recently demonstrated that he can’t tell the difference between reporting on rape culture, and supporting it.

Outside of biology, Dawkins is a dolt. His books are pathetic.

The others ... oh, forget it.

Hitchens? Please.

I don’t think atheism needs any poster boys or girls. Certainly not this bunch. If these people keep it up, I’ll convert to Catholicism and swear fealty to the new pope.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9751
Joined  20-10-2006

16 March 2013 03:38

Finding a leader for the atheists is much more difficult than finding one for religion because there is so little money to be made and it is much more difficult convincing folks to give up a belief they hold with fear.  It is also a more dangerous job than being a preacher.

cunjevoi

cunjevoi
Total Posts:  720
Joined  31-08-2011

16 March 2013 06:18

Cioran - 16 March 2013 01:38 AM

Hitchens? Please.

Dawkins’ books are primarily about biology. How many of them have you read - and why? And who the fuck are you? What good are you doing? Do something other than spew cynicism.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

16 March 2013 07:08

Cioran:  Outside of biology, Dawkins is a dolt. His books are pathetic.

I’ve read all of Dawkins’ books and heard him speak in the flesh and on TV in countless interviews and debates.  He’s a damned fine biological scientist and evolutionary theorist and a very talented speaker and writer. If a book is poorly written I put it down pretty quickly and don’t pick it up again. I’ve read and re-read Dawkins. He’s no dolt. He may at times come across as lacking humour (although not in his books) but that is understandable given the dolts he has to deal with.

What contribution have you made to science and/or literature?

And what precisely do you find objectionable about his books?

Without reasons for calling his justifiably celebrated books pathetic, I think you are pathetic.

As for PZ Myers and Hitch, both of them would make mincemeat of you.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

16 March 2013 12:43

Cioran: P. Z. Myers. That’s a good one.

*shudders uncontrollably*

Maybe P.Z. will bring along his infantile co-blogger, who recently demonstrated that he can’t tell the difference between reporting on rape culture, and supporting it.

Hitchens? Please.

I don’t think atheism needs any poster boys or girls. Certainly not this bunch. If these people keep it up, I’ll convert to Catholicism and swear fealty to the new pope.

As I’ve warned you before, any criticism of Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett, Harris .are fightin’ words on PR.  I dislike them all for various reasons including personality quirks, political errors in judgment, a tendency to stereotype religious people, and dogmatic assumptions based on lack of knowledge of religious philosophers. They approach the Bible with the childish literalism of a young-earth creationist.

On the other hand, I appreciate that they have inspired people to question their own inherited belief systems and think about the tenets of their faith.  For this, they should be applauded. 

I also have a bit of a crush on Sam Harris.  He is so friggin’ sincere, as opposed to pompous and condescending….like Dawkins.  Hitchens made me laugh and he did have a “roaming intellect” that I admired.  Dennett I barely know anything about. 

Actually, I am writing all this to get Rob all riled up so he will post more.  I’ve missed you, Sweetie!  I hope you are all settled in.  Next summer, I expect you to be singing the praises of escarole, tomatoes, or green beans.  Please install a little statue of St. Francis in your garden because I’m told he brings good luck to farmers.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

17 March 2013 09:14

Hi, Saralynn. You stirer you. But I couldn’t be riled. Not by you, my sweet.

And I’m good, thanks. Apart from my old gentleman’s problem. But we’re learning to live with that. As for vegetables, in the four months I’ve been here I’ve managed to produce a bumper crop of tomatoes, lettuce, rocket, celery, zuchini… We have a glut right now.

But can’t chat now. I’ll be back later re Dawkins et al. I have to go outside again. There was a large coronal ejection the other day and we’re having an aurora here. The first I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing! If anyone’s interested in following this event there’s news about it here: http://www.ips.gov.au/Geophysical/2/4

Cheers

Rob

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21905
Joined  11-03-2007

17 March 2013 11:54

Skipshot - 16 March 2013 02:38 AM

Finding a leader for the atheists is much more difficult than finding one for religion because there is so little money to be made and it is much more difficult convincing folks to give up a belief they hold with fear.  It is also a more dangerous job than being a preacher.

This would be a good project for project reason: learning to capitalize monetarily on it.  That should get your economic juices flowing.  Madalyn Murry O’Hair figured it out - when she was murdered she had absconded with over $600,000 from her American Atheists organization in Austin, and that’s one of the reasons she got knocked off.  She knew how to bring in the dough.

robbrownsyd

robbrownsyd
Joined  23-05-2008

17 March 2013 14:12

Ecurb Noselrub - 17 March 2013 10:54 AM
Skipshot - 16 March 2013 02:38 AM

This would be a good project for project reason: learning to capitalize monetarily on it.  That should get your economic juices flowing.  Madalyn Murry O’Hair figured it out - when she was murdered she had absconded with over $600,000 from her American Atheists organization in Austin, and that’s one of the reasons she got knocked off.  She knew how to bring in the dough.

My reading of the events indicates that the O’Hairs were kidnapped and the money extorted from them, after which they were murdered. I’ll do some more research on this. An interesting case.

1 2 >