EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

17 March 2013 15:22

Die fröhliche Wissenschaft (Rob) - 17 March 2013 01:12 PM
Ecurb Noselrub - 17 March 2013 10:54 AM
Skipshot - 16 March 2013 02:38 AM

Finding a leader for the atheists is much more difficult than finding one for religion because there is so little money to be made and it is much more difficult convincing folks to give up a belief they hold with fear.  It is also a more dangerous job than being a preacher.

This would be a good project for project reason: learning to capitalize monetarily on it.  That should get your economic juices flowing.  Madalyn Murry O’Hair figured it out - when she was murdered she had absconded with over $600,000 from her American Atheists organization in Austin, and that’s one of the reasons she got knocked off.  She knew how to bring in the dough.

My reading of the events indicates that the O’Hairs were kidnapped and the money extorted from them, after which they were murdered. I’ll do some more research on this. An interesting case.

That’s right.  My point is that she had $600,000.  Atheism can be turned into big money. I’m sure that the Four Horsemen have all turned it into big bucks for them.  Like religion, you have to be in the upper echelons to profit, I suppose.

Wintermute

Wintermute
Total Posts:  67
Joined  28-03-2013

31 March 2013 01:06

Atheism can be turned into big money. I’m sure that the Four Horsemen have all turned it into big bucks for them.  Like religion, you have to be in the upper echelons to profit, I suppose.

I personally think anything can be turned into big bucks if you’re a great public speaker. All 4 of the horsemen are excellent speakers, and able to communicate in a way that translates meaning efficiently, that’s why they earned, IMO.

As for who is to follow, I’ll follow with Daniel Dennett and say nobody. Atheism doesn’t need the voice tbh, I believe faith will endure, there are always people on the fringe…However, I also believe that it is distinctly possible we will see the end of the dominance of faith in my lifetime. The promulgation of global communication technology, the cheap and easy ability to travel, etc. Faith worked when people had no other picture presented to them. The faithful are leaving religion in droves because religion simply can’t combat reason, 4 horsemen or not.

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-01-2014

03 January 2014 17:52

Neil deGrasse Tyson all the way. Open-minded, patient, and non-hostile. A similar approach to Carl Sagan, who could never and will never be replaced.

Six7Kevin

Six7Kevin
Joined  13-01-2014

16 January 2014 03:06

I think that comedians are one group of people who have a long history of exposing the irrationality of religion. A few contemporary examples that immediately come to mind are Louis CK, Ricky Gervais, Patton Oswalt.

Many people are intimidated by intellectual elites like Harris or Hitchens. And for some of these people, comedy can be an effective (and popular, and commercially viable) delivery system for rational ideas because the messages are being delivered in a much more palatable form, which is to say ‘entertainment’.

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist
Joined  03-01-2014

21 January 2014 18:45

Six7Kevin - 16 January 2014 02:06 AM

I think that comedians are one group of people who have a long history of exposing the irrationality of religion. A few contemporary examples that immediately come to mind are Louis CK, Ricky Gervais, Patton Oswalt.

Many people are intimidated by intellectual elites like Harris or Hitchens. And for some of these people, comedy can be an effective (and popular, and commercially viable) delivery system for rational ideas because the messages are being delivered in a much more palatable form, which is to say ‘entertainment’.

Agreed!

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

21 January 2014 22:22

Patton Oswalt is responsible for my favorite Christmas story.

I got to catch him at the 40 Watt here in Athens a few years back. The dudes’ just brilliant.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9554
Joined  20-10-2006

21 January 2014 22:57

SkepticX - 21 January 2014 09:22 PM

Patton Oswalt is responsible for my favorite Christmas story.

I got to catch him at the 40 Watt here in Athens a few years back. The dudes’ just brilliant.

Thanks for turning me on to Patton Oswalt.

SteveMcKerracher

SteveMcKerracher
Total Posts:  91
Joined  16-08-2014

16 August 2014 22:07

Hiro Protagonist - 03 January 2014 04:52 PM

Neil deGrasse Tyson all the way. Open-minded, patient, and non-hostile. A similar approach to Carl Sagan, who could never and will never be replaced.

Seconded.  Perhaps the best known AND liked of all the voices of reason in our world.

I also like AronRa (though in a different catagory than Neil for sure) who no one else has mentioned, and I think his debate tactics are the only way to succeed.  He seems gruff, and rude, but he simply does not allow his opponent to misconstrue his position or state demonstrable falsehood, and will continue talking over them until they let him correct it.

This is really the only way in a live debate to counter the Gish gallop and general dishonesty of Apologists. 

His “Foundational Falsehoods of creationism” amount to a definitive work on the issue as well.  IMO it is no longer worth talking about.  You can link the one of the 14 10 minute videos most applicable to the discussion and be done.

< 1 2