Is Fuel From Carbon Dioxide Too Good to Be True?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16330
Joined  15-02-2008

27 March 2013 22:26

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8989
Joined  20-10-2006

27 March 2013 22:45

When the oil companies can make more money using something besides oil then I’ll believe stories like this.  Otherwise, the cynic in my says nothing will change until it’s too late.

I recently met a couple oil guys who said there is a butt-load of oil still in the ground and the high price for oil incentivizes technology to find ways to get it out.  Unfortunately what this means is that as long as money can be made selling oil it will be pumped out and never mind the environmental effects.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16330
Joined  15-02-2008

27 March 2013 23:00

Skipshot - 27 March 2013 09:45 PM

When the oil companies can make more money using something besides oil then I’ll believe stories like this.  Otherwise, the cynic in my says nothing will change until it’s too late.

I recently met a couple oil guys who said there is a butt-load of oil still in the ground and the high price for oil incentivizes technology to find ways to get it out.  Unfortunately what this means is that as long as money can be made selling oil it will be pumped out and never mind the environmental effects.

The science is there so it’s not a matter of belief it’s a matter of being able to scale at a cost competitive with oil. Oil is more or less a closed industry and any new tech that can compete with it will have a huge growth potential and therefore profit and be a new gold rush for the next new industry Titans.

bardoXV

bardoXV
Total Posts:  1058
Joined  10-03-2013

28 March 2013 01:28

It all comes down to how much it costs to produce, compaired to how much you can sell it for.