Stealing J Edgar Hoover’s Secrets

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6784
Joined  08-12-2006

07 January 2014 17:33

On retroreport.org

Check out the 13 minute video titled, “Stealing J Edgar Hoover’s Secrets.” The identities of the people who broke into an FBI office back in 1971 are finally revealed. They stole files that showed the FBI was engaged in illegal activities against antiwar activists, then gave them to a reporter at the Washington Post to publish. The information eventually led to the FISA act, which limits the government’s surveillance activities.

It’s pretty amazing!

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  26-03-2013

07 January 2014 18:34

That’s a great story, sir.  They made a movie about The Weathermen Underground in 2012 called “The Company You Keep.”  I guess some things never change.  If Snowden had surrendered to authorities we would never have heard of him.  Likely he’d have been silenced or disappeared.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21694
Joined  11-03-2007

07 January 2014 18:38

Antisocialdarwinist - 07 January 2014 04:33 PM

the FISA act, which limits the government’s surveillance activities.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t.

KathleenBrugger

KathleenBrugger
Total Posts:  1511
Joined  01-07-2013

07 January 2014 20:50

I watched that film this morning on the NY Times website—what an amazing story. I was moved by the courage of the young couple with children, knowing the consequences if they had been caught; the woman’s face still showed emotion all these years later as she talked about it. Great timing on this book and the upcoming documentary to perhaps put Snowden’s actions in perspective. The people who pulled off the 1970 job somehow managed to evade discovery and live normal lives. Maybe their story will help bring about some new possibilities for Snowden’s future.

It’s also great that these people who lived in fear for years can now be celebrated as heroes who contributed a lot to this country.

[ Edited: 07 January 2014 20:53 by KathleenBrugger]

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

08 January 2014 16:03

LadyJane - 07 January 2014 05:34 PM

That’s a great story, sir.  They made a movie about The Weathermen Underground in 2012 called “The Company You Keep.”  I guess some things never change.  If Snowden had surrendered to authorities we would never have heard of him.  Likely he’d have been silenced or disappeared.

Yeah, I think I’m starting to change my mind about Snowden. I thought it was wrong of him to flee, but it’s unlikely he would have gotten a fair shake if he hadn’t.

If only he hadn’t gone to Russia.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

08 January 2014 23:01

Antisocialdarwinist - 08 January 2014 03:03 PM

Yeah, I think I’m starting to change my mind about Snowden. I thought it was wrong of him to flee, but it’s unlikely he would have gotten a fair shake if he hadn’t.

Why not Russia?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

09 January 2014 13:26

LadyJane - 08 January 2014 10:01 PM

Why not Russia?

Because I think his going to Russia represents more of a national security risk than if he’d gone to a country whose interests aren’t quite so opposed to ours. On the other hand, friendlier countries probably would have handed him over. So maybe he didn’t really have much of a choice.

The link was blocked in “my country” due to copyright issues.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

09 January 2014 15:00

Antisocialdarwinist - 09 January 2014 12:26 PM
LadyJane - 08 January 2014 10:01 PM

Why not Russia?

Because I think his going to Russia represents more of a national security risk than if he’d gone to a country whose interests aren’t quite so opposed to ours. On the other hand, friendlier countries probably would have handed him over. So maybe he didn’t really have much of a choice.

The link was blocked in “my country” due to copyright issues.

Snowden definitely found himself trapped there and left with no other choice.

In July, after applying to several countries for asylum, under the suspicion he was on President Evo Morales’ plane - it was diverted to, and detained in, Austria.  President Morales was totally harassed by officials to the point that he threatened to shutdown the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia.  (Bravo Mr. Morales.)  Nicaragua and Venezuela offered asylum, although, what do you think the chances would have been that the U.S. would not have simply illegally invaded there as they’ve always done in the past?

It’s like Trotsky…in reverse.

[ Edited: 09 January 2014 16:16 by LadyJane]

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

09 January 2014 21:24

So maybe what Obama should do, besides limiting the NSA’s surveillance activities, is to provide some kind of mechanism by which whistleblowers can receive some sort of protection from the government while remaining in the US. Even if Obama doesn’t want people blowing whistles at all, it would be better to keep whistleblowers out of our enemies’ hands when they do. Given that Snowden was going to blow the whistle anyway, would it be worse to have him here in the US with limited immunity, or to have him in Russia?

I don’t think it was Snowden’s intent to undermine our national security by helping the Russians. But by essentially forcing him out of our country we may have brought about that exact result.

The downside of such a policy is that it might encourage whistleblowing even when it’s not warranted.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

09 January 2014 23:00

This could be just the catalyst for change everywhere.  Russia is not exactly an ally but it is also far from being an enemy…at this point.  Loyalty has been the cornerstone of the employment relationship dating from prior to the Industrial Revolution.  Whistleblowers are screwed the moment they blow the whistle and indeed there must be legislation to protect people. 

“Just following orders” is not a sufficient defense, as the Nuremberg Trials established, for crimes against humanity.

Nuremberg Principle IV states:  “The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him.”