What’s the point of all this?

CyberCynic

CyberCynic
Total Posts:  6
Joined  23-03-2014

27 March 2014 15:55

How many years has Sam Harris’ forums been going, and what has been the out come?

How about all of the other atheist forums we all check out - what is the out come?

Nothing!

It has to be embarrassing for the sponsors, like Sam Harris.

Has he done anything to make you feel appreciated for contributing ideas???

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7106
Joined  15-02-2007

27 March 2014 16:45

“forum” is a module that comes with the web-site software (I suspect).

The point of any internet forum is socialization and connecting with other people.

We do that here. 

If you’re looking for lofty results and social change, I suspect individual internet forums are the wrong vehicle to ride in. 

You’ll get more mileage by participating in or contributing to gatherings, philanthropic initiatives, education programs, and such. 

This, of course, is my opinion, and you know how valuable those are…

Mike78

Mike78
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  05-06-2012

27 March 2014 17:39

If you came here to be appreciated by Sam Harris, you’re woefully misguided.  If you want this forum to have a point, why don’t you propose something meaningful for it to do and try to enlist support?  Nobody else’s effort can make meaning for your life.  It all depends on you.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

27 March 2014 18:53

CyberCynic - 27 March 2014 02:55 PM

How many years has Sam Harris’ forums been going, and what has been the out come?

How about all of the other atheist forums we all check out - what is the out come?

Nothing!

CC,

You’re correct! No one is trying to accomplish anything here.  That happens in the real world.

This is an online forum.
Its a place where people of similar interests interact without leaving home.
If you’re looking for a “reason for existence” of these forums, it might be that it reveals how many people there are that don’t believe in supernatural beings. 

Jeff

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

27 March 2014 19:48

CyberCynic - 27 March 2014 02:55 PM

Nothing!

It has to be embarrassing for the sponsors, like Sam Harris.

Has he done anything to make you feel appreciated for contributing ideas???

Yes he has, as a matter of fact.  But then that’s because I’ve contributed some ideas…..  Your turn.

CyberCynic

CyberCynic
Joined  23-03-2014

28 March 2014 11:00

Jefe - 27 March 2014 03:45 PM

If you’re looking for lofty results and social change, I suspect individual internet forums are the wrong vehicle to ride in…

The introduction and designation of “Reason Project,” seems to indicate the gathering of ideas to be considered for the actual organization of such - but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

[ Edited: 28 March 2014 11:07 by CyberCynic]

CyberCynic

CyberCynic
Joined  23-03-2014

28 March 2014 11:06

Mike78 - 27 March 2014 04:39 PM

If you came here to be appreciated by Sam Harris, you’re woefully misguided.  If you want this forum to have a point, why don’t you propose something meaningful for it to do and try to enlist support?  Nobody else’s effort can make meaning for your life.  It all depends on you.

I am contributing ideas to the Project Reason, and just like all the other ideas, none are being improved upon to achieve the assumed goal of contributing to the betterment of society.

I propose that atheists need to deliver to society an ontology (social contract) as the counter to the religious ontology that specifies that a supernatural created all that Man knows. Which is what Harris needs to define a morality based on science.

Secondly, I propose that (atheists) need to deliver a constitutional system that deploys the efficient techniques that have been developed since the last best system. Which is what Harris will need to implement a morality based on science.

[ Edited: 28 March 2014 11:10 by CyberCynic]

CyberCynic

CyberCynic
Joined  23-03-2014

28 March 2014 11:11

Dennis Campbell - 27 March 2014 06:48 PM

[Yes he has, as a matter of fact.  But then that’s because I’ve contributed some ideas…..  Your turn.

Harris probably feels sorry for you.

CyberCynic

CyberCynic
Joined  23-03-2014

28 March 2014 11:55

While Project Reason is devoted to fostering critical thinking generally, we believe that religious ideas require a special focus. Both science and the arts are built upon cultures of vigorous self-criticism; religious discourse is not. As a result, religious dogmatism still reigns unchallenged in almost every society on earth—dividing humanity from itself, inflaming conflict, preventing wise public policy, and diverting scarce resources. One of the primary goals of Project Reason is to change this increasingly unhealthy status quo. - See more at: http://www.project-reason.org/about/#sthash.CVsMmC9U.dpuf

The mistake Sam Harris is making here is that science and art are not devoted to organizing society, where as, religion is. I agree, that religion is faulty in that regard, but it was the only thing possible considering the lack of scientific data necessary for better organization and instruction of the less intelligent minds. The ultimate objective of human existence is what do we do??? What do we do with all these people? How do we get them to cooperate so as to sustain life so science can be organized to understand existence???

Harris has to notice the ineptitude of most atheists to recognize the better opportunities for atheists for the organization of ideas - that would be the ultimate point of describing the theory that science can define a morality. Furthermore, Harris has correctly suggested that “atheist” is an improper designation, but atheists refuse to let go of it.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6354
Joined  22-02-2005

28 March 2014 11:59

One thread on this “topic” will do.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7106
Joined  15-02-2007

28 March 2014 12:12

CyberCynic - 28 March 2014 10:00 AM
Jefe - 27 March 2014 03:45 PM

If you’re looking for lofty results and social change, I suspect individual internet forums are the wrong vehicle to ride in…

The introduction and designation of “Reason Project,” seems to indicate the gathering of ideas to be considered for the actual organization of such - but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

Pro-tip:  The forums are not the totality of PR.  Nor should they be considered such.

There are tons or resources, ideas and programs outlined in the various other portions of the website.

There’s even means of contacting Sam Harris directly - something the forums are not designed for, nor used for.

Further, participation in the forums and their relatively low numbers of regular users should not be taken as an indication of the commitment or contribution by said membership either.  There’s a whole world out there, outside of these forums.

That being said, nothing is stopping anyone from utilizing the forums in the way you describe, so go nuts.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

28 March 2014 13:05

Fundamentalists have done a much better job of undermining religious belief than atheists even dreamed of accomplishing

Maybe we should send letters of appreciation to the Phelps family.  Politically, I’m all for supporting Creationist candidates, but voting against them.  The debates would be wonderful.

Shyraz

Shyraz
Total Posts:  15
Joined  07-07-2014

07 July 2014 21:18

The point of all this for me is discussion.
Forums provide people with a space and opportunity for discussion. Ideas evolve through discussion. Popular opinion and culture evolves through discussion. Atheism is on the rise, in large part thanks to discussion forums like this.