Just one true reality

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8627
Joined  20-02-2006

16 June 2014 17:56

About a thousand years ago Zen Master Yuanwu wrote to a correspondent:

If you want to pass through easily and directly right now, just let your body and mind become thoroughly empty, so it is vacant and silent yet aware and luminous.  Inwardly forget all your conceptions of self, and outwardly, cut off all sensory defilements.  When inside and outside are clear all the way through, there is just one true reality.  Then eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body, and conceptional mind, form, sound, smell, flavor, touch, and conceptualized phenomena - all of these are established based on that one reality.  This one reality stands free of and transcends all the myriad entangling phenomena.  The myriad phenomena have never had any fixed characteristics - they are all transformations based on this light.”

(Yuanwu quoted from the book, ‘ZEN LETTERS - Teachings of Yuanwu’ - Translated by J.C. Cleary and Thomas Cleary)

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15839
Joined  17-12-2006

17 June 2014 05:09

2500 Years ago Parmenides wrote words that he had been told by a goddess: ”...and how could it be that being could be at some later time? How could it come into being? For if it came to be, it is not; and if at some point it intends to be, then again it is not. So it is that creation has been extinguished, and of destruction there is not a word heard.”

And commenting on this Peter Kingsley writes (Reality, pp.163-164) “In a few brief words, almost before you can blink an eye, she has got rid of the past and the future. And now is the only thing left: all that exists is now. [Philosophers today assume that this identifies “now” as a point separating past from future, but] those who talk this way betray… that they have never consciously experienced what it means to exist now. The goddess’ words are a hundred-per-cent correct. There is only now, always the same as itself in its present and timeless fullness; and whatever seems to happen, happens now. Pondering the future, pondering the past, even pondering the nature of future and past and now, occurs now. Everything is now, all together, without the slightest gap or absence. Nothing at all is missing that could create any separation. Even the thought of something missing is only a sign of wholeness. Even the feeling of separation is simply a proof of oneness. But to realize this our minds have to be very, very still.”

Then (p.169) “Through being drawn into the legal process that determines what is and is not to be, Parmenides is being invited to participate actively and consciously in the origins of the universe. The place he has come to, in this strange court of law at the heart of reality and the roots of all existence, is where everything has already been decided—but still is being decided, because the origin of the universe is now.”

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

17 June 2014 16:33

These posts make me feel inclined to kill myself so I can permanently get rid of my hemorrhoids and live now in the now. Requires much less effort, no?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8627
Joined  20-02-2006

17 June 2014 19:08

saralynn - 17 June 2014 02:33 PM

These posts make me feel inclined to kill myself so I can permanently get rid of my hemorrhoids and live now in the now. Requires much less effort, no?

I once read somewhere that Buddha said, “Take care of the body as though it was a wound.”