‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

The Black Hole

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  20-11-2013

30 September 2014 00:40

jb8989 - 29 September 2014 09:40 PM

That helps; thanks. But I can assure you that I don’t want to punch you.

I didn’t mean literal punches.

So you’re logical, polite, uncomplicated and humble. You’re not without emotions, except the emotions pride and jealousy because you perceive them as irrational or unreasonable. You’re also absent insecurity, immaturity, and any persona and therefore cannot be insulted, offended or ridiculed. You’re akin to “a pebble rolling down a hill,” interested in how stuff works by observation but often find others’ interpretation of your observations convoluted. Yet you won’t describe yourself as an astute observer.

Is that a generally accurate description?

I prefer this one:

bbearren - 10 December 2013 09:53 PM

That I am only dust and ashes is, for me, the most obvious and easily accessible foundation for the logical explanation for humility.  I had no input in my arrival on this planet in time, place, or circumstance.  I am simply here, experiencing this existence.

I am not without emotions, but I have no reason to entertain pride or jealousy.  I cannot be insulted, offended, or ridiculed, which makes for an uncomplicated life.

While I can agree that hate and anger can be easily connected to pride and jealousy, I still have no reason to entertain pride or jealousy.  If every choice we make is a culmination of our experiences up to the point of exercising that choice, then we have no actual input into the choice; we’re already pre-loaded to make the choice we make.

In effect, each choice is founded upon previous choices, and we could backtrack all the way back to infancy, prior to our awareness of self, where the choices are, realistically, genetic.  I’m just a small stone rolling downhill, being bounced and turned by the topography of the hillside.  I’ve not been in control.  Wherein lies any reason for pride?  Wherein lies any reason for jealousy?  There’s simply no basis for either.

My logic may not match up with your logic, or that of another, but it works for me.  And no, I wouldn’t describe myself as “an astute observer”.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

30 September 2014 01:19

bbearren - 29 September 2014 10:40 PM

That helps; thanks. But I can assure you that I don’t want to punch you.

I didn’t mean literal punches.

So you’re logical, polite, uncomplicated and humble. You’re not without emotions, except the emotions pride and jealousy because you perceive them as irrational or unreasonable. You’re also absent insecurity, immaturity, and any persona and therefore cannot be insulted, offended or ridiculed. You’re akin to “a pebble rolling down a hill,” interested in how stuff works by observation but often find others’ interpretation of your observations convoluted. Yet you won’t describe yourself as an astute observer.

Is that a generally accurate description?

I prefer this one:

bbearren - 10 December 2013 09:53 PM

That I am only dust and ashes is, for me, the most obvious and easily accessible foundation for the logical explanation for humility.  I had no input in my arrival on this planet in time, place, or circumstance.  I am simply here, experiencing this existence.

I am not without emotions, but I have no reason to entertain pride or jealousy.  I cannot be insulted, offended, or ridiculed, which makes for an uncomplicated life.

While I can agree that hate and anger can be easily connected to pride and jealousy, I still have no reason to entertain pride or jealousy.  If every choice we make is a culmination of our experiences up to the point of exercising that choice, then we have no actual input into the choice; we’re already pre-loaded to make the choice we make.

In effect, each choice is founded upon previous choices, and we could backtrack all the way back to infancy, prior to our awareness of self, where the choices are, realistically, genetic.  I’m just a small stone rolling downhill, being bounced and turned by the topography of the hillside.  I’ve not been in control.  Wherein lies any reason for pride?  Wherein lies any reason for jealousy?  There’s simply no basis for either.

My logic may not match up with your logic, or that of another, but it works for me.  And no, I wouldn’t describe myself as “an astute observer”.

Do you mind telling me what you didn’t prefer about mine?

You don’t believe that your observations are consistently accurate? Or you for some other reason don’t want to categorize yourself in that manner?

[ Edited: 30 September 2014 01:23 by Jb8989]

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

30 September 2014 09:58

jb8989 - 29 September 2014 11:19 PM

Why is it that you prefer yours over mine?  Why are you so insistent that I agree with your terminology?

Mike78

Mike78
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  05-06-2012

30 September 2014 10:29

Without some drying paint to compete with, this thread would be a nail-biter.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

30 September 2014 11:09

bbearren - 30 September 2014 07:58 AM

Why is it that you prefer yours over mine?  Why are you so insistent that I agree with your terminology?

I don’t and I’m not. I was simply wondering where I went wrong in reframing what you said to me? Sometimes I’m good at reframing. Is there something you don’t like about me calling you logical, polite, uncomplicated and humble; without emotions, except the emotions pride and jealousy because you perceive them as irrational or unreasonable? Or maybe it’s the second part you’re uncomfortable with, where you claim to be absent insecurity, immaturity, and any persona and therefore cannot be insulted, offended or ridiculed? Or third; akin to “a pebble rolling down a hill,” interested in how stuff works by observation but often find others’ interpretation of your observations convoluted, yet you won’t describe yourself as an astute observer? After all I’m trying my best to use your language.

[ Edited: 30 September 2014 11:11 by Jb8989]

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

30 September 2014 11:10

Mike78 - 30 September 2014 08:29 AM

If it’s a nail bitter you’re looking for ask your pops how you survived the abortion. ;)

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

30 September 2014 12:02

jb8989 - 30 September 2014 09:10 AM

If it’s a nail bitter you’re looking for ask your pops how you survived the abortion. wink

No need.  I’ve seen it before when your mother and I failed to terminate you properly.  Don’t ask your father about it, though.  Cuckoldry is a real sore spot for him.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

30 September 2014 12:24

Mike78 - 30 September 2014 10:02 AM

If it’s a nail bitter you’re looking for ask your pops how you survived the abortion. ;)

No need.  I’ve seen it before when your mother and I failed to terminate you properly.  Don’t ask your father about it, though.  Cuckoldry is a real sore spot for him.

God damn Mexican abortions. They can’t do anything right down there.

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

30 September 2014 14:00

jb8989 - 30 September 2014 10:24 AM

If it’s a nail bitter you’re looking for ask your pops how you survived the abortion. wink

That’s what your mom said about your dad. cheese

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

30 September 2014 14:38

Mike78 - 30 September 2014 12:00 PM

That’s what your mom said about your dad. :cheese:

That’s not funny. I was already the butt of the joke. You ruined a perfectly good abortion joke with your desire for the last word. God damn lawyers!

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

30 September 2014 15:10

Well, i find myself agreeing with bbearren in regards to jealousy and insults.

I have been in sales 45 years and commonly was, but not always number one in sales. I never felt jealous or envious of someone else having better sales results than me (than i?). I never attached someone having better results as them being better than me - the results were better, that’s all - hey congratulations! When I heard of successes or good things happening for others, i was always - “way to go!” rather than - fuck that lucky bastard, it shoulda woulda coulda been me. There are people who dont have jealousy in their lives.

In regards to Insults, i am reminded of the narrator in “Notes From the Underground” (Dostoevsky) when his antagonist said (paraphrased in different words), how can I a human, be insulted by you, an ant? You cannot insult me. Another example is if someone were to offer an insult to me as they say i am a whore’s bastard - it is neither insulting to me or my Mom - the person offering this obviously doesn’t know my Mother, (A Polish Catholic “saint”.) I never heard anyone in my life say anything negative about my Mom, 7 kids in 8 years, the old time submissive to her dominating drunk of a husband.Anyone who offers such an insult is at the least ignorant, perhaps retarded, but the offered insult says more about the person doing the insulting, and nothing relevant about the intended insultee. And unlike my oldest sister who was conceived out of wedlock i was not a bastard - The person may in addition to being ignorant or retarded could just be suffering from delusions. I am not taking any of my time to engage in one such as this. (i dont do well with paranoid and non paranoid schizophrenics either)
gregory

[ Edited: 30 September 2014 15:18 by Gregoryhhh]

Mike78

Mike78
Joined  05-06-2012

30 September 2014 15:21

jb8989 - 30 September 2014 12:38 PM
Mike78 - 30 September 2014 12:00 PM

That’s what your mom said about your dad. cheese

That’s not funny. I was already the butt of the joke. You ruined a perfectly good abortion joke with your desire for the last word. God damn lawyers!

Since you mentioned butts, it reminds me of another thing I meant to say about….  Never mind.  You’ll just say it isn’t funny.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

30 September 2014 15:37

Gregoryhhh - 30 September 2014 01:10 PM

I have been in sales 45 years and commonly was, but not always number one in sales. I never felt jealous or envious of someone else having better sales results than me (than i?). I never attached someone having better results as them being better than me - the results were better, that’s all - hey congratulations! When I heard of successes or good things happening for others, i was always - “way to go!” rather than - fuck that lucky bastard, it shoulda woulda coulda been me. There are people who dont have jealousy in their lives.

In regards to Insults, i am reminded of the narrator in “Notes From the Underground” (Dostoevsky) when his antagonist said (paraphrased in different words), how can I a human, be insulted by you, an ant? You cannot insult me. Another example is if someone were to offer an insult to me as they say i am a whore’s bastard - it is neither insulting to me or my Mom - the person offering this obviously doesn’t know my Mother, (A Polish Catholic “saint”.) I never heard anyone in my life say anything negative about my Mom, 7 kids in 8 years, the old time submissive to her dominating drunk of a husband.Anyone who offers such an insult is at the least ignorant, perhaps retarded, but the offered insult says more about the person doing the insulting, and nothing relevant about the intended insultee. And unlike my oldest sister who was conceived out of wedlock i was not a bastard - The person may in addition to being ignorant or retarded could just be suffering from delusions. I am not taking any of my time to engage in one such as this. (i dont do well with paranoid and non paranoid schizophrenics either)
gregory

Insults and jealousy should probably be perceived as irrational. But there’s a ton of grey area between (1) perceiving insults as irrational, and (2) perceiving insults as irrational AND simultaneously the insulator as retarded, delusional, or schizophrenic. That’s extreme, possibly a projection. Regardless, being able to cope with or having a certain level of imperviousness to negative emotions - whether triggered through insult or otherwise - is a good thing IMO so long as in doing so you don’t delude yourself into the idea that you are somehow above others or impervious to often important feelings of sadness, grief and struggle. There’s growth in certain “negative” emotions, as well as empathizing with the distressed, if you take the time to learn how to cope and self-sooth emotional adversity. Otherwise you numb it out and it surfaces in some other form, maybe sleeplessness, irritability, hair loss, or just good ole fashioned stupidity and dickishness.

[ Edited: 30 September 2014 15:44 by Jb8989]

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

30 September 2014 16:03

jb8989 - 30 September 2014 09:09 AM
bbearren - 30 September 2014 07:58 AM

I don’t and I’m not. I was simply wondering where I went wrong in reframing what you said to me? Sometimes I’m good at reframing.

But you do and your are.  Although I’m not an attorney, my wife retired as an investigator for the office of the public defender in the capital crimes division, known internally as “D Team”.  One of her duties was to prep witnesses for trial.  I’m acquainted with a number of lawyers, and one of my best friends is a criminal defense attorney.  The technique you’re attempting to employ is ancient, and it is not unknown to me.

It is my preference not to be reframed.

jb8989 - 30 September 2014 09:09 AM

Is there something you don’t like about me calling you logical, polite, uncomplicated and humble; without emotions, except the emotions pride and jealousy because you perceive them as irrational or unreasonable? Or maybe it’s the second part you’re uncomfortable with, where you claim to be absent insecurity, immaturity, and any persona and therefore cannot be insulted, offended or ridiculed? Or third; akin to “a pebble rolling down a hill,” interested in how stuff works by observation but often find others’ interpretation of your observations convoluted, yet you won’t describe yourself as an astute observer? After all I’m trying my best to use your language.

You left out “to my advantage” at the end of your last sentence, but the implication is a bright blinking neon sign.

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

30 September 2014 16:47

jb8989 - 30 September 2014 01:37 PM
Gregoryhhh - 30 September 2014 01:10 PM

gregory

Insults and jealousy should probably be perceived as irrational. But there’s a ton of grey area between (1) perceiving insults as irrational, and (2) perceiving insults as irrational AND simultaneously the insulator as retarded, delusional, or schizophrenic. That’s extreme, possibly a projection. Regardless, being able to cope with or having a certain level of imperviousness to negative emotions - whether triggered through insult or otherwise - is a good thing IMO so long as in doing so you don’t delude yourself into the idea that you are somehow above others or impervious to often important feelings of sadness, grief and struggle. There’s growth in certain “negative” emotions, as well as empathizing with the distressed, if you take the time to learn how to cope and self-sooth emotional adversity. Otherwise you numb it out and it surfaces in some other form, maybe sleeplessness, irritability, hair loss, or just good ole fashioned stupidity and dickishness.

Ok, jb8989, allow me to clarify - first of all, i do not, and have been told by others that i do not, and as results of psychological testings show, i do not live my life with the delusion that i am in any way “above others” nor am i “impervious to negative emotions”. ( I have cried for dead birds who have expired after flying into windows.)The fact does though remain that many people who insult others are clearly ignorant, and to define them as ignorant is neither a projection nor an insult, it oft times is a clear and present fact that what was said was ignorant - this does not mean i am saying they are permanently and irrevocably ignorant, but they are certainly ignorant about my Mother being a whore and me being a bastard. That’s just plain ignorant. And In regards to “retarded” well, the thinking that comes up with that kind of insult is not what i would call “advanced” thinking -  In the old days of automotive tune-ups it’s before top dead center, it’s retarded, not advanced. ( my “schizophrenic” reference was just me sharing that in addition to ignorant, or retarded, or delusional people, i also try to avoid debating with schizophrenics)

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›