Teaching how to get acquainted with the practice of “abandon”.

waraboushi

waraboushi
Total Posts:  13
Joined  24-08-2014

11 September 2014 23:51

Abandoning is a habit very common among many scholars, scientists and pursuers of virtuosity or mastery in any area. To abandon a bad theory or idea and give some credit to other proposals is fundamental on the process of unveiling information. To abandon a practice that may harm your body or mind is also an important decision that affects the future of many carreers or even lives.

However, the practice of abandoning is a hard accomplishment regarding other subjects and attachments and the simple idea of abandoning an opinion or a theory or faith, may drive people to profound emotions and unwavering denial.

I believe that in order to achieve faster results on raising awareness to old and new matters is to teach people how to understand “abandon” internally, and what abandoning ideas, ideals, beliefs and most importantly, human biases, does represent. Think not that I want to rip one’s persona with this idea, but to actually make that persona malleable, and to approach it almost scientifically.

Of course it is not an easy state of mind to achieve, and the human mind is already charmed by comfort, but generally speaking, boosting the learning of this habit, might open the way to tolerance and acceptance of new ideas. If one is more comfortable with the idea of abandoning, the effectivness of discussions and embracing of new ideas would work more swiftly than in the highly offended and emotional society of today. Utopically, there would be less concern and time spent with what is the color of your skin, who do you sleep with and which invisible man rules all.

I have some ideas, but as of now I am still far away from a solid proposal on how to achieve something like this. I would love to hear some opinions on the matter, though.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7872
Joined  22-02-2014

12 September 2014 19:45

Seems like a valid skill…

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ”
― Alvin Toffler

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5291
Joined  28-05-2009

12 September 2014 21:29

A capacity that is often overlooked. Many people define themselves in terms of their livelihood and their skills. So that the things they ‘know’ become integral to who they are. We have great affection for our ideas and hate to see them go. I see this in professional circles all the time. Someone is very successful in their twenties and thirties largely because they have a certain curiosity and humility about replacing old ideas with new ones. But they sabotage themselves at a certain point because they self identify as an expert and evaluate other ideas, not on their essential utility but on how well they affirm an existing set of opinions.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

12 September 2014 22:59

I think your idea is stupid and I’m not going to change my mind.

waraboushi

waraboushi
Joined  24-08-2014

13 September 2014 09:08

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ”
― Alvin Toffler

Thank you icehorse, for again, your inspiration! This quote is very precious, and it was a first read for me.

A capacity that is often overlooked. Many people define themselves in terms of their livelihood and their skills. So that the things they ‘know’ become integral to who they are. We have great affection for our ideas and hate to see them go. I see this in professional circles all the time. Someone is very successful in their twenties and thirties largely because they have a certain curiosity and humility about replacing old ideas with new ones. But they sabotage themselves at a certain point because they self identify as an expert and evaluate other ideas, not on their essential utility but on how well they affirm an existing set of opinions.

Indeed, mr. Bungalow, if I may call you so smile
I witness the same behavior between my colleagues and friends and what I think is expertise is one of the dangerous “ports of security” a human mind and heart can reach. The sense of satisfaction and security that can bring further education to a halt, and this masquerade of stallment in expertise can be way stronger, than for example, in voluntary ignorance or indifference. I guess the key to prevent the inertia of critical thinking is for someone to feel somewhat secure “inside” insecurity. What do you think?

I think your idea is stupid and I’m not going to change my mind.

That is precious feedback, dear saralynn. Would you deliberate your reasons for me?

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

13 September 2014 10:57

Wareaboush: I think your idea is stupid and I’m not going to change my mind. That is precious feedback, dear saralynn. Would you deliberate your reasons for me? - See more at: http://www.project-reason.org/forum/viewthread/29175/#361118

The reason is it was a joke and I was trying to make you laugh.

waraboushi

waraboushi
Joined  24-08-2014

13 September 2014 13:13

Thank you! It was quite successful!
I was looking forward to know your point of view regardless, hence my somewhat stiff question for you.

Do you have any other thoughts about what I proposed?

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

13 September 2014 13:35

waraboushi - 13 September 2014 11:13 AM

Thank you! It was quite successful!
I was looking forward to know your point of view regardless, hence my somewhat stiff question for you.

Do you have any other thoughts about what I proposed?

The only thing that might interest you is that I am absolutely the least dogmatic person on PR and am capable of entertaining two or more contradictory and sometimes mutually exclusive ideas at once. 

Some here claim I am indecisive I claim I am enlightened..  I also insist that I am an ignoramus. . 

See what I mean?

BTW, I wanted to find a picture of mashed potatoes with a lightning bolt inside of it for my avatar, but I couldn’t find one

[ Edited: 13 September 2014 13:40 by saralynn]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9832
Joined  20-10-2006

14 September 2014 14:49

icehorse said it for me.  Critical Thinking skills are the new literacy.

waraboushi

waraboushi
Joined  24-08-2014

16 September 2014 18:34

The only thing that might interest you is that I am absolutely the least dogmatic person on PR and am capable of entertaining two or more contradictory and sometimes mutually exclusive ideas at once.

Some here claim I am indecisive I claim I am enlightened..  I also insist that I am an ignoramus. .

See what I mean?

BTW, I wanted to find a picture of mashed potatoes with a lightning bolt inside of it for my avatar, but I couldn’t find one

From a skeptical point of view, you seem to be a lovely individual. One that already grasps the concept I talked about, even if it’s instinctive.
And, indecisive and enlightened are much closer than the lexicon suggests.

May I ask you a question?
If a lightning bolt struck a plate of mashed potatoes in front of you, what would your reaction be?

waraboushi

waraboushi
Joined  24-08-2014

16 September 2014 18:37

icehorse said it for me.  Critical Thinking skills are the new literacy

Yes, I very much agree!
Would you agree that if we possess one key skill, we could unlock easier the set of skills needed to go through the silver lining of the “new” concept of literacy? And if so, which skill would that be?