Why IT IS important to convince people that there is no God?”

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

28 September 2014 22:57

This January I started a thread called “frustration vs intolerance”. 

I wrote that   :”I worry that if a person:, can continue to believe in an imaginary supernatural friend ( A non-existent entity), and no amount of logic can convince that person otherwise; What prevents this individual from promoting or acting on some other idea or thought that has nothing to do with reality. Acting as if something exists, just because you want it to exist (despite the fact that it doesn’t) is not just ludicrous, it’s dangerous:”

I also wrote, as it pertains to believers, that “:no manner of logic, no number of questions that expose logical fallacies, no gentle repartee, results in any change in thinking.”

Later on in the thread I restated the problem:
:”If people can believe there is an imaginary supernatural entity that expects them to avoid pork, reject Gays, believe a human zygote is a person, take folk tales as truth, convert people to the same belief system, have people speak repetitive nonsense words, and believe in an alternative universe; why can’t they kill or torture the infidels (people) for the reward they might expect in their imaginary paradise.”

En, the moderate that he is, immediately attacked me as “intolerant”. 
He Said “What I see here is the foundation for future intolerance and violence.  In the future :you’ll be pretty much like the religious oppressors that you despise.  :And you will have no objective truth or authority to stop you.”

Admittedly I did complain how frustrated I am with the type of discussion outlined above. And I did say “How can I be tolerant of it?”

And then along comes ISIS.

Also, I recently had a series of interactions with PR’s resident religious extremist.  I was surprised that the person had no tolerance what so ever for any difference of opinion.  When I decided to stop interacting I wondered (from some of his comments) whether if it was in that person’s power, he would have me put to death.

This gets me to the point of this thread.
Earlier this month somebody started the thread
“Why is it important to convince others that there is not God?”

My answer is, “just look at the recent world events.”
In fact one doesn’t have to go any farther than this forum to see what God belief might lead to.

and as I ended the opening post on the “Frustration and Tolerance thread”, ...unchallenged references to nonsense (God, after-life, or anything else that is imaginary) is terrifying, given our current technological capabilities.  That is why I challenge whenever I can.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

28 September 2014 23:14

While I agree in the proposition about there being no god, I am more invested in dealing with such human activities as ISIS.  The “god” business has always struck me as an endless argument.  An ISIS is not endless, it is a movement that requires, IMO, some coherent response lest it, quite literally, kills us.  I’m biased in being more focused on real threats than any god proposition.  God won’t kill me, people may.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

28 September 2014 23:20

Dennis Campbell - 28 September 2014 09:14 PM

While I agree in the proposition about there being no god, I am more invested in dealing with such human activities as ISIS.  The “god” business has always struck me as an endless argument.  An ISIS is not endless, it is a movement that requires, IMO, some coherent response lest it, quite literally, kills us.  I’m biased in being more focused on real threats than any god proposition.  God won’t kill me, people may.

The point is that “true belief” is dangerous.  I suppose your rebuttal could be that all “True Believers” are similar (credit to Hoffer).  If it isn’t one belief it would only be another.  But I would counter that acting on what you think that fictional being would like you to do is particularly dangerous.

SteveMcKerracher

SteveMcKerracher
Total Posts:  91
Joined  16-08-2014

28 September 2014 23:26

Dennis Campbell - 28 September 2014 09:14 PM

I think its short sighted to make it a Theism vs Atheism debate.  You can have fairly rational people believe in God, like Universalists who allow and encourage Atheists in their congregation etc.

On the other hand, you can have Atheist Regimes, built on Faith in the regime(rather then reason and free thought), commit atrocities. 

The vital discussion isn’t Theism vs Atheism, it is Faith Vs Reason.

And naturally, if we win the battle of methodology, we win the Theism issue.  Further, Faith vs Reason seems a much simpler debate.  You can show countless problems with Faith, and nobody can possibly show any upside to it.

Whereas doubt and reason has led to all human progress.

I’ve been challenging all the Theists on Quora to defend Faith as a methodology in questions like:
http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-or-any-defensible-methodology-for-finding-the-truth
http://www.quora.com/How-is-faith-different-from-Confirmation-bias-and-why-would-either-be-admirable-qualities
http://www.quora.com/What-is-good-or-bad-about-blind-faith

With no demonstrable upside to Faith, and clear downsides, it is an easy debate.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

28 September 2014 23:39

SteveMcKerracher - 28 September 2014 09:26 PM

The vital discussion isn’t Theism vs Atheism, it is Faith Vs Reason.

Agreed. Just because a person doesn’t believe in God doesn’t mean they are reasonable.

But I stick with my point stated in the opening post of this thread:
...making decisions and doing things based on what an imaginary being wants, is dangerous.

GPzW

GPzW
Total Posts:  7
Joined  23-10-2014

23 October 2014 20:58

I don’t see it as important to prove there is no god because I don’t make a living on the debate circuit or book sales.

A belief in just gods leads to nothing, god books or people who say gods talk to them and say spread the word I am your master so go do vile things. At that point you have to prevent the vile acts and expose the god delusion.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

23 October 2014 23:35

GPzW - 23 October 2014 06:58 PM

I don’t see it as important to prove there is no god because I don’t make a living on the debate circuit or book sales.

A belief in just gods leads to nothing, god books or people who say gods talk to them and say spread the word I am your master so go do vile things. At that point you have to prevent the vile acts and expose the god delusion.

I suspect we are like thinking.

Just to clarify, I did not say it was necessary to “prove there is no God”.  After all THERE IS NO GOD.  He is a fictional being. I was just trying to explain why its important to challenge people of faith about their beliefs.