1 2 3 > 

The coming war

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

05 October 2014 13:11

I don’t see “the live and let live policy”, that the religious moderates and many non-believers promote, as being workable in the long run.  There are no supernatural beings.  Having a population of people who to an extent live their lives based on what they think a fictional being wants them to do, will not result in a good outcome for humanity.  There is going to be a terrible bloody war.  I suspect the religious are going to win. 
I am contemplating the notion that it would be safer for me to take up a religion as a public persona.  I’m trying to find the safest religion available (safest = winning).  The trouble is even amongst classes of relgions (i.e. Allah based, Jesus based) there are wars between the subclasses.  Being Jewish (my original MO) is semi-safe. 

But the original point of this thread is that there is going to be a religious war to eliminate us.  Maybe not in my lifetime, but eventually.  I regret not bringing my kids up religious.

NL.

NL.
Total Posts:  5898
Joined  09-11-2012

05 October 2014 13:18

Who is “us”, atheists?

I have no idea what course history will take in the long run, but in the short term this seems exceedingly unlikely. Besides, if there was some sort of clampdown where religion was enforced, that’s generally accomplished by some form of Inquisition-style imposition, not a war. Look at countries where it’s imposed now - you will be arrested and punished - sometimes severely - for failing to observe religious principles, but war doesn’t factor in. But I don’t see that in the US or Western Europe in our lifetimes unless something horrible happens, like global warming throws us into a pseudo-apocalyptic world.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

05 October 2014 13:36

jdrnd - 05 October 2014 11:11 AM

I don’t see “the live and let live policy”, that the religious moderates and many non-believers promote, as being workable in the long run.  There are no supernatural beings.  Having a population of people who to an extent live their lives based on what they think a fictional being wants them to do, will not result in a good outcome for humanity.  There is going to be a terrible bloody war.  I suspect the religious are going to win. 
I am contemplating the notion that it would be safer for me to take up a religion as a public persona.  I’m trying to find the safest religion available (safest = winning).  The trouble is even amongst classes of relgions (i.e. Allah based, Jesus based) there are wars between the subclasses.  Being Jewish (my original MO) is semi-safe. 

But the original point of this thread is that there is going to be a religious war to eliminate us.  Maybe not in my lifetime, but eventually.  I regret not bringing my kids up religious.

In the ME, that “war” is already going on.  Question, if, how and when that’ll spread further into the west. We’re not done with 911s, its only a matter of time.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9259
Joined  29-01-2010

05 October 2014 13:58

First time I ever heard a Jew claim his status made him feel semi-safe.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9259
Joined  29-01-2010

05 October 2014 14:06

Religion is on a downward descent and fundamentalism will push it off the cliff.

But, the irony is that religion will not die, fundamentalism will.

At least for a while.  Then both will be resurrected.

People haven’t changed much in thousands of years, so there’s not much sense expecting an entirely different scenario. .

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14923
Joined  17-12-2006

05 October 2014 14:36

saralynn - 05 October 2014 12:06 PM

Religion is on a downward descent and fundamentalism will push it off the cliff.

But, the irony is that religion will not die, fundamentalism will.

At least for a while.  Then both will be resurrected.

People haven’t changed much in thousands of years, so there’s not much sense expecting an entirely different scenario. .

Haven’t changed much, but slowly have become more civilized.

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

05 October 2014 14:53

Please seriously consider staying away from the Abramic God - just think, without that “God” there would be no sunni killing suffis and no christian killing other Christians and the Jews would just be other Arabs my gawd! what a world it would be without the jews, muslims and christians.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

05 October 2014 15:13

On further reflection, I’m perhaps less inclined to see a “war” of religion against non-theists than I am to think of this as an evolving process of different styles of thinking and values.  Sure, in the ME people are losing their heads, but more because they are used as symbols of very powerful western cultures with which much of the ME cannot compete.  Religion is thrown up, but in reality the reasons why ISIS et al are so afraid of us has more to do with economics, standards of living; longevity, individual freedoms; democracy as opposed to dictatorship, the rule of secular law over theocratic rule; technology and secular/science education.  I don’t see any growing conflict in the U.S. or western Europe which pits believers against non-believers; if anything there seems less conflict, though that is admittedly just a personal opinion.  As said the ME is a different mess, and that conflict may well spread, not so much due to religion as the above mentioned differences. 

I’m not at all worried about my personal safety or that of my “kids”  (they’re in their 30s and 40s) relative to any attack by theists.  The rantings of a BM here on PR are to me more of a boring case study of an individual, not a symptom of a huge social issue here.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

05 October 2014 15:18

NicLynn - 05 October 2014 11:18 AM

Who is “us”, atheists?

Me?

NicLynn - 05 October 2014 11:18 AM

I have no idea what course history will take in the long run, but in the short term this seems exceedingly unlikely.

Agreed… not in the short run.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

05 October 2014 15:18

saralynn - 05 October 2014 11:58 AM

First time I ever heard a Jew claim his status made him feel semi-safe.

weird, isn’t it.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

05 October 2014 15:20

Gregoryhhh - 05 October 2014 12:53 PM

what a world it would be without the jews…

I would miss latkes.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

05 October 2014 15:22

Dennis Campbell - 05 October 2014 01:13 PM

The rantings of a BM here on PR are to me more of a boring case study of an individual, not a symptom of a huge social issue here.

What type of people do you think are leading ISIS?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

05 October 2014 15:30

jdrnd - 05 October 2014 01:22 PM
Dennis Campbell - 05 October 2014 01:13 PM

The rantings of a BM here on PR are to me more of a boring case study of an individual, not a symptom of a huge social issue here.

What type of people do you think are leading ISIS?

Maybe much like a BM, but more likely some cold blooded psychopaths acquiring power, who use a BM as cannon fodder.  Those ISIS leaders, speaking of Zeitgeist, function as well as they do due to the prevailing chaos in that region.

Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  01-07-2012

05 October 2014 15:44

jdrnd - 05 October 2014 01:20 PM

I would miss latkes.

It would be a very sad world without the Jewish people.  During my Christian years, we held in my denomination an admiration for the Jews,  that I refuse to give up and that means ever.  Latkes were the first Jewish religious food I attempted to prepare, as a post Christian.  A little too much oil,  but still good.  It was more symbolic, the feeling of being connected to a larger picture.

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

05 October 2014 15:58

jdrnd - 05 October 2014 01:20 PM

I would miss latkes.

I’m curious jdrnd, did you purposefully truncate the “. . . muslims and chrisians”,  in order to make the joke funny for more readers,  or do you make it a habit?
gregory

Post Scriptum: I have the honor of passing along to a grandchild my Grandmother’s 134 year old recipe for Polish Catholic Potato Pankakes - scrumptious.And not to brag (too much) but i have people who fly me into town for a weekend visit but i have to do my Gramma’s recipe for them smile

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

05 October 2014 16:02

Gregoryhhh - 05 October 2014 01:58 PM

I’m curious jdrnd, did you purposefully truncate the “. . . muslims and chrisians”,  in order to make the joke funny for more readers,  or do you make it a habit?
gregory

Post Scriptum: I have the honor of passing along to a grandchild my Grandmother’s 134 year old recipe for Polish Catholic Potato Pankakes - scrumptious.And not to brag (too much) but i have people who fly me into town for a weekend visit but i have to do my Gramma’s recipe for them smile

A joke.

1 2 3 >