The Basis of Zen

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8630
Joined  20-02-2006

10 October 2014 15:02

“The teaching of the mind ground is the basis of Zen study.  The mind ground is the great awareness of being as is.”  -  Zen master Fayan

“If I were to explain the source of Zen (the awareness of being as is) there wouldn’t be a single person around, let alone a group of five hundred or seven hundred.  If I talk about this and that, however, you race forward to pick it up.  This is like fooling a child with an empty fist - there is no reality in it.”  -  Zen master Yangshan

“The Way (the awareness of being as is) does not require cultivation - just don’t pollute it.  What is pollution?  As long as you have a fluctuating mind fabricating artificialities and contrivances, all of this is pollution.  If you want to understand the Way directly (if you want to understand awareness of being as is directly) the normal mind is the Way.  What I mean by the normal mind is the mind without artificiality, without subjective judgments, without grasping or rejection.”  -  Zen master Mazu

(Fayan, Yangshan and Mazu quoted from the book, ‘ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom’ - translated and edited by Thomas Cleary)

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17615
Joined  15-02-2008

10 October 2014 15:24

Except “pollution” IS how the mind works and people who claim no pollution are more boring then then the dead with no minds.