1 2 3 >  Last ›

“I’m convinced he and I will sit on the same fence and chat amicably about the foolishness of certitude.”—saralynn, 24 November, 2013

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

29 October 2014 19:26

I have not always been a believer.  For the first 40 or so years of my life, I was agnostic/atheistic.  I have used every argument against belief in God as I’ve read in these forums, as well as some others that I haven’t seen here.  But that was changed.  I have had revelations.  A couple I am unable to adequately describe, as they were neither visual nor audible.  A number have been visual, and a couple audible.  However, I will offer neither descriptions nor explanations, as I know such would be fruitless.

I am a believer.  I believe in God.  I believe God.  I believe in Christ.  I believe Christ.  My faith, however, is not like the faith of EN; I haven’t tossed the Old Testament, nor picked only my favorites from the New Testament.  My faith is not like the faith of Mario.  I’m not Catholic, I don’t hold the Pope or Mary in any holy regard, and there is no scriptural foundation for a so-called “doctrine of the trinity”.  I don’t subscribe to any theology, and have as little use for theology as I have for philosophy.

I have no intention of trying to convince/convert anyone.  I have no concern regarding whether or not my faith should be viewed as some alternative possible truth.  It does not matter.  Dismiss it as you will, I shall offer no counterpoint, no historical context, no proof.  Feel free to be as vehemently denigrative as you wish; it is meaningless.

I do not hold that God is “supernatural”.  It is my understanding that God is “nature”, to nature’s fullest extent.  My faith is nonapologetic, nor does it require acceptance.  It is mine; it does not meld fully with any denomination of which I am aware.  I do not consider myself a “christian” in the denoted sense of that word in today’s culture.  The earliest believers in Christ were known as followers of The Way; to that, I could ascribe.

And, as always, I’m easy to ignore.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9286
Joined  29-01-2010

29 October 2014 19:42

Wow!  This comes as a great surprise to me. 

This is going to sound trite, but thanks for the admission.  Confession?  The “enigmatic” persona was getting a bit stale, anyway.

I’m a bit confused, though.  Are you telling us that you have certitude or is your certitude that you don’t have certitude? 

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

29 October 2014 19:52

Cool.  At least now we know where you stand.  Faith based on revelation is true faith, IMHO.  Your understanding, my understanding and Mario’s understanding all differ, but we believe in the same Jesus.  I guess you felt the need to mask your faith until you got to know the playing field, which is reasonable, I suppose.  Anyway, thanks for the post.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

29 October 2014 19:53

saralynn - 29 October 2014 06:42 PM

This is going to sound trite, but thanks for the admission.  Confession?  The “enigmatic” persona was getting a bit stale, anyway.

I’m a bit confused, though.  Are you telling us that you have certitude or is your certitude that you don’t have certitude?

If I had certitude, I would not call it faith.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

29 October 2014 19:54

bbearren - 29 October 2014 06:53 PM
saralynn - 29 October 2014 06:42 PM

If I had certitude, I would not call it faith.

Agreed.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

29 October 2014 19:58

EN - 29 October 2014 06:52 PM

Cool.  At least now we know where you stand.  Faith based on revelation is true faith, IMHO.  Your understanding, my understanding and Mario’s understanding all differ, but we believe in the same Jesus.

The Jesus in whom I believe is not part of a triune god.

I guess you felt the need to mask your faith until you got to know the playing field, which is reasonable, I suppose.  Anyway, thanks for the post.

Just defusing the bombs.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

29 October 2014 20:03

bbearren - 29 October 2014 06:58 PM

Cool.  At least now we know where you stand.  Faith based on revelation is true faith, IMHO.  Your understanding, my understanding and Mario’s understanding all differ, but we believe in the same Jesus.

Like I said, we all have different understandings.  I think it would be true to say that we all believe in the Jesus of the New Testament, and then leave it at that.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

29 October 2014 20:10

The problem, if there is indeed one here in this instance, isn’t due to the faith and/or a belief in any god, it is if and when such a belief then leads to specific prescriptions as to how other people should believe or behave predicated on that faith.  I’ve no problem with EN’s declared faith, as it applies to him only;  do have a problem with Brother Mario, as he uses his faith as a justification for then condemning all do not agree with it.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

29 October 2014 20:14

EN - 29 October 2014 07:03 PM
bbearren - 29 October 2014 06:58 PM

Like I said, we all have different understandings.  I think it would be true to say that we all believe in the Jesus of the New Testament, and then leave it at that.

bbearren - 29 October 2014 06:26 PM

I have no intention of trying to convince/convert anyone.  I have no concern regarding whether or not my faith should be viewed as some alternative possible truth.  It does not matter.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

29 October 2014 20:16

Dennis Campbell - 29 October 2014 07:10 PM

The problem, if there is indeed one here in this instance, isn’t due to the faith and/or a belief in any god, it is if and when such a belief then leads to specific prescriptions as to how other people should believe or behave predicated on that faith.  I’ve no problem with EN’s declared faith, as it applies to him only;  do have a problem with Brother Mario, as he uses his faith as a justification for then condemning all do not agree with it.

I have no intention of trying to convince/convert anyone.  I have no concern regarding whether or not my faith should be viewed as some alternative possible truth.  It does not matter.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9286
Joined  29-01-2010

29 October 2014 20:17

How come I don’t receive a revelation?  The few I’ve had were so damned ambiguous, it is impossible not to doubt them.  I will also add that Jesus did not play a role in them in any conspicuous way. 

bb, you might like Poldano’s posts, rare as they are.  He is the only other believer, besides Mario, EN and now you. he has an interesting take on metaphysical questions

Are you a Christian Christian?  As in the “son of God” and the Resurrection? 

Is that too personal a question?  I can understand if you don’t want to go into details.  You will be opening yourself up to ridicule. 

My mind is still boggled by your admission.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

29 October 2014 20:33

saralynn - 29 October 2014 07:17 PM

How come I don’t receive a revelation?  The few I’ve had were so damned ambiguous, it is impossible not to doubt them.  I will also add that Jesus did not play a role in them in any conspicuous way. 

bb, you might like Poldano’s posts, rare as they are.  He is the only other believer, besides Mario, EN and now you. he has an interesting take on metaphysical questions

Are you a Christian Christian?  As in the “son of God” and the Resurrection? 

Is that too personal a question?  I can understand if you don’t want to go into details.  You will be opening yourself up to ridicule. 

My mind is still boggled by your admission.

bbearren - 10 December 2013 09:53 PM

That I am only dust and ashes is, for me, the most obvious and easily accessible foundation for the logical explanation for humility.  I had no input in my arrival on this planet in time, place, or circumstance.  I am simply here, experiencing this existence.

I am not without emotions, but I have no reason to entertain pride or jealousy.  I cannot be insulted, offended, or ridiculed, which makes for an uncomplicated life.

I know neither why I have, nor why you have not, received a revelation.

Yes to “son of God”, but human, not God incarnate; and yes to the resurrection.

Yes, I have read some of Poldano’s posts.  And you can call it confession, if you like.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

29 October 2014 20:47

bbearren - 29 October 2014 07:16 PM
Dennis Campbell - 29 October 2014 07:10 PM

Then I have no issue with you or your beliefs.

Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  01-07-2012

29 October 2014 23:14

Cool BB.  I thought maybe you did have a belief, just could not tell which direction from your posts.  And, I have no interest in denigrating your private religious belief. 
Just out of curiosity,  is The Way the same as the group known as the Jerusalem church,  same as the Nazarenes, or a later sect called the Ebionites?  Of all the Jesus personalities given to us throughout history, these guys,  were my favorite.   
They believed Jesus was singled out by God, but not divine.  The miracle of the resurrection,  while no abrogation of the Torah.  They had no interest in converting people,  that stuff came with the church teachings later.    I thought the group disappeared in the Jewish War against Rome.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

30 October 2014 01:28

Just another pointless version of ignorance, myth, magic and superstition, declared as faith to cover up the smell.

Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  01-07-2012

30 October 2014 01:36

GAD - 30 October 2014 12:28 AM

Just another pointless version of ignorance, myth, magic and superstition, declared as faith to cover up the smell.

So why should it matter?  His private, personal faith, unlike mainstream Islam and Christianity does not attempt to convert, coerce,  or threaten anyone else that does not wish to join.

1 2 3 >  Last ›