‹ First  < 7 8 9

“I’m convinced he and I will sit on the same fence and chat amicably about the foolishness of certitude.”—saralynn, 24 November, 2013

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

04 March 2018 12:00

saralynn - 04 March 2018 11:26 AM

As my dearly departed mother used to say, GAD is “full of beans”,  I wonder where the heck that expression came from?  She was a Methodist.

Depends on the type of bean…

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/full_of_beans

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

04 March 2018 12:04

bbearren - 04 March 2018 11:52 AM
GAD - 04 March 2018 09:48 AM

That’s what I really love about this forum, all the love, and it’s all your love over all these many years that opened me up to receive the greatest love of all from the the Butt Fairy.

A short sermon.

lol

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  149
Joined  14-09-2017

11 June 2019 09:21

It seems that many of the posters in this thread want you to take a stab at describing the revelations. 

Will you describe the revelations?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

11 June 2019 10:01

DEGENERATEON - 11 June 2019 09:21 AM

It seems that many of the posters in this thread want you to take a stab at describing the revelations. 

Will you describe the revelations?

I haven’t, and I won’t.  I’ve used every argument you or anyone else is likely to come up with in the denial of revelations.  It is quite pointless to hear them repeated, and indeed fruitless to offer any descriptions or explanations to be summarily dismissed via those arguments with which I am already well familiar.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21484
Joined  11-03-2007

11 June 2019 10:17

I understand bb’s reluctance.  I described mine and wish I hadn’t.  It’s impossible to fully and accurately describe subjective moments of enlightenment/clarity. No one else is going to be convinced by my “aha! moments”, as no one else can understand what they are.  Better just to say “I had them” and leave it at that.  Just like we say “I ate an apple and, boy, what it good!” without trying to fully describe the actual experience.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

11 June 2019 12:01

EN - 11 June 2019 10:17 AM

I understand bb’s reluctance.  I described mine and wish I hadn’t.  It’s impossible to fully and accurately describe subjective moments of enlightenment/clarity. No one else is going to be convinced by my “aha! moments”, as no one else can understand what they are.  Better just to say “I had them” and leave it at that.  Just like we say “I ate an apple and, boy, what it good!” without trying to fully describe the actual experience.

Fine.  It’s just frustrating, especially considering that this is a discussion forum.  It’s guaranteed I won’t buy it, but I just want to know.  And there’s quite a difference between a delicious apple and a revelation directly from god.  We’ve all had an apple, and if we had to describe it we could do a decent job.  But it’s so easy to access that experience.  I want to know what happens when god “talks” to people.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  20-11-2013

11 June 2019 12:16

DEGENERATEON - 11 June 2019 12:01 PM

It’s guaranteed I won’t buy it, but I just want to know.

You prove my point: It is ... fruitless to offer any descriptions or explanations to be summarily dismissed via those arguments with which I am already well familiar.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

11 June 2019 12:24

bbearren - 11 June 2019 12:16 PM

You prove my point: It is ... fruitless to offer any descriptions or explanations to be summarily dismissed via those arguments with which I am already well familiar.

What a hoot!  But keep your eyes on the fruit, the description of your experience is what’s interesting.  Who cares if they’re dismissed?  You’re not trying to convince anyone.  Tell me what is inside of the Chinese box!

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  31-10-2015

11 June 2019 12:44

DEGENERATEON - 11 June 2019 12:24 PM

What a hoot!  But keep your eyes on the fruit, the description of your experience is what’s interesting.  Who cares if they’re dismissed?  You’re not trying to convince anyone.  Tell me what is inside of the Chinese box!

I could vaguely describe a vision I had 46 years ago, but I don’t want to intrude on bbearren’s thread.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

11 June 2019 13:03

We’ve all had an apple, and if we had to describe it we could do a decent job.  But it’s so easy to access that experience.

We’ve probably also all had an experience when we felt someone else’s presence before we saw them in the room.  That would be the closest common experience I could use as an analogy.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

11 June 2019 13:28

Almost every evangelical I ever knew had ‘experienced’ at least one ‘revelation’. Catholics I’ve known however seem to be light on them. The revelations seemed conveniently conformational of the religious faith that one either already professed belief in, or was trending toward. Christians don’t seem to get revelations from the monkey god Hanuman of Hinduism or from Mohammed of Islam.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

11 June 2019 13:40

proximacentauri - 11 June 2019 01:28 PM

Almost every evangelical I ever knew had ‘experienced’ at least one ‘revelation’. Catholics I’ve known however seem to be light on them. The revelations seemed conveniently conformational of the religious faith that one either already professed belief in, or was trending toward. Christians don’t seem to get revelations from the monkey god Hanuman of Hinduism or from Mohammed of Islam.

I had a math teacher in high school who told the class that he was at church and saw Jesus Christ.  Nope, not the monkey god.  Or just the presence of some supreme being.  Jesus.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

11 June 2019 13:52

The cultural aspect of revelations is one of the reasons, from my perspective, they remain in the realm of faith, not knowledge.  I don’t think anyone can legitimately say that their revelation constitutes a basis for a claim of certainty, Brother Mario to the contrary notwithstanding.  But the experience can, IMHO, provide a basis for personal, individual faith.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  324
Joined  07-02-2017

11 June 2019 14:32

DEGENERATEON - 11 June 2019 01:40 PM
proximacentauri - 11 June 2019 01:28 PM

I had a math teacher in high school who told the class that he was at church and saw Jesus Christ.  Nope, not the monkey god.  Or just the presence of some supreme being.  Jesus.

Of course! No doubt the vision he saw was the stylized jesus, a tall man with light brown hair, blue eyes, pale skin and European features. The real jesus - if he actually existed - more than likely had dark hair, brown eyes, dark skin and was quite short in stature.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

11 June 2019 18:36

nonverbal - 11 June 2019 12:44 PM
DEGENERATEON - 11 June 2019 12:24 PM

I could vaguely describe a vision I had 46 years ago, but I don’t want to intrude on bbearren’s thread.

Please do, if it becomes something we’ll start a new thread.

‹ First  < 7 8 9