1 2 3 > 

Any Requests For Two Thousand Fifteen?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

31 December 2014 11:10

Where’s Project Reason rounding year end?
Many talented patrons and some who pretend
Some days are light and some make us cringe
Podium speeches or whispers from fringe
People come boldly while hawking their wares
They tend not to notice that nobody cares
You have to speak up if you want to be heard
More voices are needed to drown the absurd
Philosophical talk and science that’s grand
When posters write clearly we all understand
Religion, politics, history too
It tends to get sticky when the topic is you!
The point of the place is to have as much fun
As we’re tossing the ball while still on the run
Denying what’s real will turbid the lake
Like frogs in the bathwater who eat all the cake
You never quite know what some have in store
When patrons chime in we should want to hear more
You soon predict knee jerks that enter on queue
Delivered by those who neglect to preview
Some latch onto others in need of a friend
It never amounts to the mean in the end
Opinions are merely a useful device
Human values never cost the same price
A worthy opponent can be your best mate
You’ll never feel love if you don’t embrace hate
Some will steal concepts they don’t even buy
And hide in illusions and never ask why
Cliques that may form only drive in a wedge
Then we laugh from the ground or cry from a ledge
The eddies we find swirling into the nyeep
Reveal jagged shoreline where the frogs failed to leap.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

01 January 2015 01:11

All we need is a campfire and a chord pattern.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

01 January 2015 02:19

Hope 2015 is better than 2014. Doubt that.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

01 January 2015 12:14

Many of us are faced with some very heavy challenges, indeed.  Situations that distance us from feeling as though we have any control over our lives.  During these times it is essential we push the limits of what we can achieve, as we deke between the chaos, so we are aligned to celebrate the small victories.  Keep your sense of humour.  It’s what brings us to our feet so we can keep buggering on.

In the wake of all the suicide talk, recently, I’ve decided to take up cutting.  Not myself, of course, I’ve decided to cut up other people.  This way, I still achieve the emotional release it delivers while remaining free of any scars.

Eh?

Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  01-07-2012

01 January 2015 12:35

LadyJane - 01 January 2015 11:14 AM

Many of us are faced with some very heavy challenges, indeed.  Situations that distance us from feeling as though we have any control over our lives.  During these times it is essential we push the limits of what we can achieve, as we deke between the chaos, so we are aligned to celebrate the small victories.  Keep your sense of humour.  It’s what brings us to our feet so we can keep buggering on.

In the wake of all the suicide talk, recently, I’ve decided to take up cutting.  Not myself, of course, I’ve decided to cut up other people.  This way, I still achieve the emotional release it delivers while remaining free of any scars.

Eh?

Cool.  Taking control, and without a shred of remorse I hung up one of those fluorescent shock boxes that electrocutes little bugs and big bugs whenever they get too close.  Off to a good start.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9562
Joined  20-10-2006

01 January 2015 16:26

You’ll get no belly aching about 20014 from me.  Overall, it was a good year for me, my family, neighbors, and friends.  I do miss Rob, but it is pointless to argue against the natural order.  2015 should be quiet since it is not an election year.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

01 January 2015 16:30

Dennis Campbell - 01 January 2015 01:19 AM

Hope 2015 is better than 2014. Doubt that.

Ever the optimist ... heh.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6722
Joined  08-12-2006

01 January 2015 16:38

LadyJane - 31 December 2014 10:10 AM

Where’s Project Reason rounding year end?

Reveal jagged shoreline where the frogs failed to leap.

Ha ha, that was great!

James Clovispoint

James Clovispoint
Total Posts:  77
Joined  25-07-2011

02 January 2015 01:46

Nice poem Ladyjane.

Though I have had a grand year in as much as I am still alive and happy with life, new years are the opportunity for better things and a better world.

I know that religion(s) will not make our world any better. It has had over 2000 years to try and has failed.

I would like this year to see:

- religion lose its importance in politics, science (interfering) and overall power struggles.
- people learn that they have a say in their government
- US cities overthrow the constitutional amendment that declares corporations as “persons” (legal term); Pennsylvania is on the march.
-The US adopt laws such as those of Ecuador on Environments/Ecosystems having rights.
- The end of wars and armies; didn’t some god say, “thou shalt not kill”?

And, too many more things to list here; but it leaves room for more hope and more doing. I hate the idea of a Heaven where everything is already done (how boring).

Here is an poem for what it is worth;

Perhaps I should have gone to war,
Relished in the arms of some whore?
My head up high with laurels dressed,
Scars and medals upon my chest.

Returned to suck from Glory’s breast,
Not worrying about the rest,
I could have lived comfortably.
Rich politician I could be.

I work for material gains,
A slave with invisible chains.
Slave to men, religions and gods,
Free but to try to beat the odds.

Though I’m locked up in my ghetto,
Carpe Diem is my motto.
I’ve always had to bitch and moan.
Into a cynic I have grown.

P.S.: Happy New Year to all.

[ Edited: 06 January 2015 00:51 by James Clovispoint]

Smote

Smote
Total Posts:  362
Joined  12-11-2014

02 January 2015 14:45

James Clovispoint - 02 January 2015 12:46 AM

- religion lose its importance in politics, science (interfering) and overall power struggles.

++

- people learn that they have a say in their government

++

- US cities overthrow the constitutional amendment that declares corporations as “people”; Pennsylvania is on the march.

++

-The US adopt laws such as those of Ecuador on Environments/Ecosystems having rights.

Especially nowadays. We’ve done so much damage already. I don’t think talking about it as “rights” is the best way, though. That’s kinda ridiculous, I think. Rights imply people, so let’s just leave it at “Protecting the environment” rather than “Giving the environment rights.”

- The end of wars and armies; didn’t some god say, “thou shalt not kill”?

++

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8587
Joined  20-02-2006

02 January 2015 15:32

Smote - 02 January 2015 01:45 PM

We’ve done so much damage already . . . let’s just leave it at “Protecting the environment” rather than “Giving the environment rights.”

++

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”  -  (Native American?)

Image Attachments

We're ruining the planet Sweetie - 2.jpg

James Clovispoint

James Clovispoint
Joined  25-07-2011

02 January 2015 22:11

Good clip unsmoked.

Dear Smote,

Quote: ” I don’t think talking about it as “rights” is the best way, though. That’s kinda ridiculous, I think. Rights imply people, so let’s just leave it at “Protecting the environment” rather than “Giving the environment rights.”

It is no more silly or ridiculous than what the Constitution says (from its inception) that Corporations a “persons” before the law.  I should have written “persons” rather than “people” ( my bad) but this is not something I have just made up; this has been evolving for several years in America and even in countries like Ecuador, Nepal, etc.
You may like to know that the US is not a democratic country when it comes to property and corporations in particular simply because the founding fathers elected to incorporate into the constitution British law of the times.

Here are a few links that may surprise you;

http://www.thegreeninterview.com/blog/wild-law-2007-column-about-environmental-rights-pennsylvania

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/09/boulder_legal_rights_plants_animals_rights_of_nature.php

http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.org/doc/Frack_Actions_HarveysLakePA.pdf

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/02/05/18637075.php

Smote

Smote
Joined  12-11-2014

04 January 2015 01:14

James Clovispoint - 02 January 2015 09:11 PM

It is no more silly or ridiculous than what the Constitution says (from its inception) that Corporations a “persons” before the law.  I should have written “persons” rather than “people” ( my bad) but this is not something I have just made up; this has been evolving for several years in America and even in countries like Ecuador, Nepal, etc.
You may like to know that the US is not a democratic country when it comes to property and corporations in particular simply because the founding fathers elected to incorporate into the constitution British law of the times.

Here are a few links that may surprise you;

http://www.thegreeninterview.com/blog/wild-law-2007-column-about-environmental-rights-pennsylvania

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/09/boulder_legal_rights_plants_animals_rights_of_nature.php

http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.org/doc/Frack_Actions_HarveysLakePA.pdf

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/02/05/18637075.php

*Headsmack*

Ecosystems having rights is even more ridiculous than corporations having rights. Only people ought to have rights. The Constitution didn’t say anything about corporations… it said “persons” which was interpreted by the Supreme Court to include corporations…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

It’s a legal fiction to make laws simpler by creating abstract people and applying laws to them. I’m against creating abstract people. I’ll maintain that it’s ridiculous. I don’t care if the Supreme Court disagrees.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9562
Joined  20-10-2006

04 January 2015 18:12

Smote - 04 January 2015 12:14 AM

Ecosystems having rights is even more ridiculous than corporations having rights. Only people ought to have rights. The Constitution didn’t say anything about corporations… it said “persons” which was interpreted by the Supreme Court to include corporations…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

It’s a legal fiction to make laws simpler by creating abstract people and applying laws to them. I’m against creating abstract people. I’ll maintain that it’s ridiculous. I don’t care if the Supreme Court disagrees.

There is a thread on this subject already:  http://www.project-reason.org/forum/viewthread/25877/

James Clovispoint

James Clovispoint
Joined  25-07-2011

04 January 2015 21:24

Ridiculous or not, it is a matter of power.

I don’t suppose that you would not like for a corporation to come and drill for gas or oil on the lot next to yours or even in your town within a mile from your place.
The corporation has power of attorney and can sue your town or yourself for not letting them do so; you count for squat. Learn about this, and you will change your mind.

Smote

Smote
Joined  12-11-2014

05 January 2015 06:23

James Clovispoint - 04 January 2015 08:24 PM

Ridiculous or not, it is a matter of power.

I don’t suppose that you would not like for a corporation to come and drill for gas or oil on the lot next to yours or even in your town within a mile from your place.
The corporation has power of attorney and can sue your town or yourself for not letting them do so; you count for squat. Learn about this, and you will change your mind.

Nope. This wouldn’t make me change my mind. I’m not about to support creating even more abstract people.

1 2 3 >