1 2 > 

Where Is Sam Harris?

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Total Posts:  522
Joined  13-01-2015

10 February 2015 21:00

Does this forum belong to Sam Harris?  Is there any relationship between him and this forum, or am I confused?

So far I’ve not seen a comment section on his blog. 

I’m wondering if it’s possible to engage him in some setting, or if his work is strictly of the one-to-many nature.

Thanks for any insights.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

10 February 2015 21:49

He does not post in, or respond to this forum.  He may read it occasionally.
If you wish to engage him directly, there are contact links on the home web pages of both this and the samharris.org websites.

PS - a little time with advanced search would have netted this same answer.

glacier

glacier
Total Posts:  288
Joined  13-11-2014

11 February 2015 16:04

Sam Harry ass is probably too smart to waste his time on web forums. Reading half the stuff in here makes you dumber by the minute.

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Joined  13-01-2015

11 February 2015 21:49

Glacier - 11 February 2015 03:04 PM

Sam Harry ass is probably too smart to waste his time on web forums.

Or, maybe he’s not smart enough to know how to create a forum he would enjoy participating on?

What I see is that almost all forums use the same “free speech” publishing model, and that doesn’t create an environment that is inviting to the best thinker/writers, as the signal to noise ratio is too low.

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Joined  13-01-2015

11 February 2015 22:11

Ah, I just found the Advisory Board for Project Reason.

What I think would be cool would be a forum limited to members of the Project Reason Advisory Board, who would discuss and debate with religious academics. 

As example, here’s a site by Catholic theologians.  Best I can tell the writers there are all academics who do theology for a living, ie. not just your average man in the street forum blowhard like me.

http://catholicmoraltheology.com/

I’m a forum software developer, and it’s long been frustrating to me that people at this level rarely if ever participate on forums. 

They will often have blogs, so in that case they must have time to type on the net.  It would be nice to see them typing together, not just giving one-to-many speeches from their own little corner.

It would also be nice to see them typing with other experts with a different perspective, in neutral territory, instead of each side circling the ideological wagons on sites like Project Reason or Project Catholic etc.

Whine, whine, whine….

glacier

glacier
Total Posts:  288
Joined  13-11-2014

11 February 2015 22:47

Thoughtage - 11 February 2015 08:49 PM

Or, maybe he’s not smart enough to know how to create a forum he would enjoy participating on?

What I see is that almost all forums use the same “free speech” publishing model, and that doesn’t create an environment that is inviting to the best thinker/writers, as the signal to noise ratio is too low.

Ah yes, but who gets to decide who the “best thinkers/writers” are? Excluding the lower members of the cesspool often removes people with good ideas as well. The guys and gals in charge pick the “best thinkers” based upon those who agree with them the most, and then you’re left fewer and less diverse voices.

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Joined  13-01-2015

11 February 2015 22:55

Ah yes, but who gets to decide who the “best thinkers/writers” are?

Whoever owns the forum.

Excluding the lower members of the cesspool often removes people with good ideas as well.

Yea, that’s true. But letting anybody participate means the people who do it for a living won’t.

The guys and gals in charge pick the “best thinkers” based upon those who agree with them the most, and then you’re left fewer and less diverse voices.

Yes, that’s what I was referring to above, Project Reason, Project Catholic etc.  It would be more interesting to put the two together in neutral territory.

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

11 February 2015 23:55

Thoughtage - 10 February 2015 08:00 PM

Does this forum belong to Sam Harris?  Is there any relationship between him and this forum, or am I confused?

So far I’ve not seen a comment section on his blog. 

I’m wondering if it’s possible to engage him in some setting, or if his work is strictly of the one-to-many nature.

Thanks for any insights.

Sam Harris used to include a comments section following his blog entries. I remember right around the time when his Moral Landscape book came out, he participated in some of the discussions. Soon after that time, he removed all comments from his blog entries and no longer offered the opportunity for anyone to comment on the pages where his essays appeared.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6336
Joined  22-02-2005

12 February 2015 02:15

Most designer web sites come with a forum as an accessory. A little thought is put into the layout but only a half hour of geek time was budgeted for it. Dr. Harris doesn’t need to come here to finds friends to talk to.

Forums attract vagrants but are a chance to own your own little ant kingdom to glower at from above.

If my site had a forum, I would not go anywhere near it. It’s more FUN to be one of the vagrants.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4903
Joined  19-08-2010

12 February 2015 04:42

Not sure what could be more important to Dr Harris than adding a few wise words to our little forum…  grin

Image Attachments

Forums.jpg

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

12 February 2015 14:20

This is going to shock everyone so I apologize ahead of time for those of you who don’t know this. But, GAD is actually Sam Harris. He’s Sam Harris’ self’s ego-therapy-release. So that he can go back to work calm. haha

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

12 February 2015 14:45

I think we should use Mr. Hyde-Harris to refer to “GAD” from now on (or maybe just “GAD”), just to let him know we’re on to him.

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

12 February 2015 15:10

on the other hand, i’ve like GAD ever since i tuned in to his signature link “Kissing Hank’s Ass” (I’m pretty sure he’s Hank too.)

http://www.project-reason.org/?URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDp7pkEcJVQ

gregory

[ Edited: 12 February 2015 15:14 by Gregoryhhh]

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Joined  31-08-2014

12 February 2015 15:18

MARTIN UK - 12 February 2015 03:42 AM

Not sure what could be more important to Dr Harris than adding a few wise words to our little forum…  grin

Your post reminded me of a politically incorrect observation: Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the special Olympics - even if you win, you’re still retarded.
gregory

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

12 February 2015 16:36

jb8989 - 12 February 2015 01:20 PM

This is going to shock everyone so I apologize ahead of time for those of you who don’t know this. But, GAD is actually Sam Harris. He’s Sam Harris’ self’s ego-therapy-release. So that he can go back to work calm. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpecF_JfdtQ

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Joined  31-08-2014

12 February 2015 17:14

GAD - 12 February 2015 03:36 PM
jb8989 - 12 February 2015 01:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpecF_JfdtQ

As much as i avoid videos for info, i do sorta do GAD’s - I had to see this one twice - it’s only seven seconds long and it’s fucking hilarious - jesusfuck GAD, the stuff you find to do a retort of retorts.
gregory

1 2 >