Dialog In Neutral Territory

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Total Posts:  522
Joined  13-01-2015

12 February 2015 21:27

I would like to see Project Reason open a dialog with theists in some neutral territory where both sides could be comfortable and treated fairly. 

That process might begin by identifying credible third parties who might host such conversations, and by identifying potential theist partners.

Ideally, some part of such a dialog would be limited to academics and other professionals who work with these topics for living, so that readers could enjoy the highest possible signal to noise ration.  A companion forum could be added for the general public.

It seems to me there is far too much of each side talking to themselves in their own little corner.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17529
Joined  15-02-2008

13 February 2015 01:02

Thoughtage - 12 February 2015 08:27 PM

I would like to see Project Reason open a dialog with theists in some neutral territory where both sides could be comfortable and treated fairly. 

That process might begin by identifying credible third parties who might host such conversations, and by identifying potential theist partners.

Ideally, some part of such a dialog would be limited to academics and other professionals who work with these topics for living, so that readers could enjoy the highest possible signal to noise ration.  A companion forum could be added for the general public.

It seems to me there is far too much of each side talking to themselves in their own little corner.

Academics and professionals get paid for their opinions, this is the free companion forum for the general public.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7618
Joined  22-02-2014

13 February 2015 01:56

you can find scores of debates and discussions on youtube and such. Quite often the likes of Hitchens and Harris are going into the lion’s den to have these debates. So mostly they’re either held on neutral territory or on theist-friendly territory.

Also, as an aside, you can find many such discussions between non-believers and theists at places like religiousforums.com

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3333
Joined  26-01-2010

13 February 2015 03:55

I’m a theist, and I rather like the challenge of debating here.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2729
Joined  19-01-2015

13 February 2015 05:43

I don’t think that such a debate could do better than this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfRkcJ0BLS0

But what is stopping us from setting aside a thread for only 2 or maybe 4 debaters (2 each side) ? The rest of would simply not post in this thread; maybe we could have a separate comment thread, if some can’t stop themselves.

More to the point: would this be just the old “God exists!” / “Does not” / “Does So!” , or should we have a debate how to resolve issues in which faith and rational considerations collide?

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Total Posts:  522
Joined  13-01-2015

13 February 2015 09:40

GAD - 13 February 2015 12:02 AM

Academics and professionals get paid for their opinions, this is the free companion forum for the general public.

Good point.  I hear you.  I suppose I’m looking for a freebie here.

All I can suggest is that if there was a central place where the best theist and atheist writers met, it would introduce all of them to new audiences.

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

17 February 2015 17:13

geeze, here i am wondering if i am a theist - because i do believe in “God” (um, “God” Undefined) - or an atheist because i dont believe in any “God’ heretofore defined. (And most especially not the Abramic “God.”)  I hereby volunteer to be the referee of the proposed OP.
gregory

Post Scriptum: As for other credentials - I am the only person in the history of PR that Mario has put on “Ignore”. Certainly, that should account for something - though some would say it accounts for ignoring me. Um, anyway smile

[ Edited: 17 February 2015 17:22 by Gregoryhhh]