1 2 3 >  Last ›

Is there still a place for non-professional posters at Project Reason?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

23 March 2015 23:33

Posting at Project Reason is a form of entertainment; at least it is for me.  I don’t make my living starting threads, responding to questions, or challenging other forum members.  The prolific production of threads, posts, and words from some members is impressive, perhaps overwhelming.  I would estimate that the ratio of alphanumeric characters they produce compared to my (and others) production is 100 to 1.  There is no thought, idea, story, or concept that the professional posters do not touch.    Is this good? 

I wonder if current trends continue, if posts from non-professionals such as me, might have decreasing relevance, as those who post here on a professional basis, relegate my/our comments to background noise.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17738
Joined  15-02-2008

23 March 2015 23:55

If it helps I mostly ignore the majority of their word count but rarely yours.

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

24 March 2015 00:31

jdrnd - 23 March 2015 10:33 PM

Is this good? 

I wonder if current trends continue, if posts from non-professionals such as me, might have decreasing relevance, as those who post here on a professional basis, relegate my/our comments to background noise.

My personal worldview is that diversity in general is good, so there is no Model Poster we should be striving to produce. Some people want to shoot the shit, some want to find the meaning of life, some want to learn, some want to learn how to argue, some want to write poetry, some want to meet fellow atheists, and we’ve had a few in the mix (none now) that I’m pretty sure were just high all the time. Styles range from bullet point to essay format.

That said, I have noticed that even some of the staunchest free speech advocates (Jerry Coyne and Glenn Greenwald come to mind as examples of this) will make pretty much their only exception in limiting expression not for content, but for quantity. Posting can turn spam-like after a point, just in sheer drowning out of other views. I say this as one who, especially in my periodic fits of enthusiasm, might be curtailed by these very rules at one point or another, but I would be for having a posting limit if posting becomes excessive. For the same reason one doesn’t allow overtly threatening or degrading language in forums - to allow minority or diverse views to coexist without one dominating via inappropriate aggression or sheer volume.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6394
Joined  22-02-2005

24 March 2015 00:40

What is a professional poster? How does one make a living off of threads?

Why do you feel your posts aren’t as relevant as anyone’s?

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4913
Joined  19-08-2010

24 March 2015 05:36

GAD - 23 March 2015 10:55 PM

I feel the same way for what it’s worth.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

24 March 2015 08:23

Nhoj Morley - 23 March 2015 11:40 PM

What is a professional poster? How does one make a living off of threads?

Why do you feel your posts aren’t as relevant as anyone’s?

This thread is not about me.

gsmonks got the point.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

24 March 2015 08:24

MARTIN UK - 24 March 2015 04:36 AM
GAD - 23 March 2015 10:55 PM

I feel the same way for what it’s worth.

You and GAD are very kind.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

24 March 2015 08:26

NicLynn - 23 March 2015 11:31 PM

Is this good? 

My personal worldview is that diversity in general is good, so there is no Model Poster we should be striving to produce. Some people want to shoot the shit, some want to find the meaning of life, some want to learn, some want to learn how to argue, some want to write poetry, some want to meet fellow atheists, and we’ve had a few in the mix (none now) that I’m pretty sure were just high all the time. Styles range from bullet point to essay format.

That said, I have noticed that even some of the staunchest free speech advocates (Jerry Coyne and Glenn Greenwald come to mind as examples of this) will make pretty much their only exception in limiting expression not for content, but for quantity. Posting can turn spam-like after a point, just in sheer drowning out of other views. I say this as one who, especially in my periodic fits of enthusiasm, might be curtailed by these very rules at one point or another, but I would be for having a posting limit if posting becomes excessive. For the same reason one doesn’t allow overtly threatening or degrading language in forums - to allow minority or diverse views to coexist without one dominating via inappropriate aggression or sheer volume.

I wasn’t suggesting a posting limit.  The OP was an observation.

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Total Posts:  522
Joined  13-01-2015

24 March 2015 09:07

The prolific production of threads, posts, and words from some members is impressive, perhaps overwhelming.

Speaking only for myself, who couldn’t possibly be related to the conversation now underway….  grin

For the better and the worse, some people are very interested in religion and related topics, which is after all the largest, longest cultural event in human history.  That is, such a high level of interest has been going on for many centuries all over the world, and is hardly a new development brought on by forums or the internet.

Some people may have been very interested in such topics for 50 years, and thus may have more to say on the subject than those who’ve only been adults for a period best measured in months.

I come to forums because in the real world, nobody I’ve met wishes to discuss such topics anywhere close to the degree I do, and I have no wish to impose such discussion upon those not interested, or not interested to the same degree. 

What some members may not yet fully realize is that, this is not the real world.  This is a different realm, where the reader has total control over their experience, and nobody is ever a victim of anything other than their own choices.  And it is a realm ruled by mods, who can always pull the plug on any account which is interfering with their editorial vision. 

So, as seen from here, there is no problem, and thus no need of a solution.

Keep discussing this, and I’ll be back in just a minute with 256 more posts on the subject.  grin

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Joined  13-01-2015

24 March 2015 09:13

gsmonks - 24 March 2015 08:10 AM
Thoughtage - 24 March 2015 08:07 AM

The prolific production of threads, posts, and words from some members is impressive, perhaps overwhelming.

Speaking only for myself, who couldn’t possibly be related to the conversation now underway….  grin

For the better and the worse, some people are very interested in religion and related topics, which is after all the largest, longest cultural event in human history.  That is, such a high level of interest has been going on for many centuries all over the world, and is hardly a new development brought on by forums or the internet.

Some people may have been very interested in such topics for 50 years, and thus may have more to say on the subject than those who’ve only been adults for a period best measured in months.

I come to forums because in the real world, nobody I’ve met wishes to discuss such topics anywhere close to the degree I do, and I have no wish to impose such discussion upon those not interested, or not interested to the same degree. 

What some members may not yet fully realize is that, this is not the real world.  This is a different realm, where the reader has total control over their experience, and nobody is ever a victim of anything other than their own choices.  And it is a realm ruled by mods, who can always pull the plug on any account which is interfering with their editorial vision. 

So, as seen from here, there is no problem, and thus no need of a solution.

Keep discussing this, and I’ll be back in just a minute with 256 more posts on the subject.  grin

Please resist the urge.

Ok.  grin

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

24 March 2015 10:26

Posting at Project Reason is a form of entertainment; at least it is for me.  I don’t make my living starting threads, responding to questions, or challenging other forum members.  The prolific production of threads, posts, and words from some members is impressive, perhaps overwhelming.  I would estimate that the ratio of alphanumeric characters they produce compared to my (and others) production is 100 to 1.  There is no thought, idea, story, or concept that the professional posters do not touch.    Is this good? 

A few recent examples of Verbiage from Thoughtage, via the local Dump:

What I’ve learned, from experimenting with this using different forum personalities, is that it’s kinder to be a jerk while challenging a cherished group consensus. 

When the defenders run out of ammo they can use the escape hatch of changing the topic from the posts to the jerky poster, and this gives them a face saving way out.

It’s too ruthless, almost sadistic, to be utterly impeccably polite and professional while systematically picking apart the glue that holds a community together.  And in my case at least, it’s also lying, which may be even worse.
- from #5860, The Dump

1) This is Project Reason, and I am attempting to advance an inquiry in to understanding religion using reason.  I’m very interested in this subject.

2) Advancing the inquiry involves upsetting the apple cart of fantasy superiority which is the driver of this web site.

3) Challenging such a cherished identity in the role of a clown or a jerk makes it easier on those who are being challenged, as it gives them an easy escape route, changing the subject from the posts to the poster.  That, and I have a natural talent at being a jerk, so this comes easy to me.
- from #5862, The Dump

What I’ve been trying to endlessly say all over every thread on the forum is that this belief in ourselves (ie. human reason) is just as unproven as belief in God, . . .
- from #5866, The Dump

Jeff, I sometimes feel protective of this forum, as though it’s a natural resource of some kind. I think you may be feeling that way from time to time as well, which I applaud. Sure this forum has moderators, but I also feel protective of them in a sense, too. They don’t want to resort to banning people for their behavior. Nhoj recently got cursed out by gs for no good reason whatsoever. Nhoj didn’t need that as part of his day, and I’d rather not see either Nhoj or Martin retire from their roles here due to their being unnecessarily badgered. This forum is fortunate to have them around, but they won’t stay forever.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

24 March 2015 10:57

Posting at Project Reason is a form of entertainment; at least it is for me.  I don’t make my living starting threads, responding to questions, or challenging other forum members.  The prolific production of threads, posts, and words from some members is impressive, perhaps overwhelming.  I would estimate that the ratio of alphanumeric characters they produce compared to my (and others) production is 100 to 1.  There is no thought, idea, story, or concept that the professional posters do not touch.

That’s what the Signal to Noise ratio is all about. You have to use the filters you’ve developed to neutralize the noise and reveal the signal.

Not likely. Quite the contrary in fact. Noise can make the signal stand out. Of course if it’s completely out of control noise can drown out the signal as well.

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Joined  13-01-2015

24 March 2015 10:59

envy me - 24 March 2015 09:26 AM

A few recent examples of Verbiage from Thoughtage, via the local Dump:

What I’ve learned, from experimenting with this using different forum personalities, is that it’s kinder to be a jerk while challenging a cherished group consensus. 

When the defenders run out of ammo they can use the escape hatch of changing the topic from the posts to the jerky poster, and this gives them a face saving way out.

It’s too ruthless, almost sadistic, to be utterly impeccably polite and professional while systematically picking apart the glue that holds a community together.  And in my case at least, it’s also lying, which may be even worse.
- from #5860, The Dump

1) This is Project Reason, and I am attempting to advance an inquiry in to understanding religion using reason.  I’m very interested in this subject.

2) Advancing the inquiry involves upsetting the apple cart of fantasy superiority which is the driver of this web site.

3) Challenging such a cherished identity in the role of a clown or a jerk makes it easier on those who are being challenged, as it gives them an easy escape route, changing the subject from the posts to the poster.  That, and I have a natural talent at being a jerk, so this comes easy to me.
- from #5862, The Dump

What I’ve been trying to endlessly say all over every thread on the forum is that this belief in ourselves (ie. human reason) is just as unproven as belief in God, . . .
- from #5866, The Dump

Jeff, I sometimes feel protective of this forum, as though it’s a natural resource of some kind. I think you may be feeling that way from time to time as well, which I applaud. Sure this forum has moderators, but I also feel protective of them in a sense, too. They don’t want to resort to banning people for their behavior. Nhoj recently got cursed out by gs for no good reason whatsoever. Nhoj didn’t need that as part of his day, and I’d rather not see either Nhoj or Martin retire from their roles here due to their being unnecessarily badgered. This forum is fortunate to have them around, but they won’t stay forever.

Thanks for repeating my previous words in this thread also, as I enjoyed reading them again, and I’m sure other members did as well.  grin

Thoughtage

Thoughtage
Joined  13-01-2015

24 March 2015 11:01

SkepticX - 24 March 2015 09:57 AM

Posting at Project Reason is a form of entertainment; at least it is for me.  I don’t make my living starting threads, responding to questions, or challenging other forum members.  The prolific production of threads, posts, and words from some members is impressive, perhaps overwhelming.  I would estimate that the ratio of alphanumeric characters they produce compared to my (and others) production is 100 to 1.  There is no thought, idea, story, or concept that the professional posters do not touch.

That’s what the Signal to Noise ratio is all about. You have to use the filters you’ve developed to neutralize the noise and reveal the signal.

Not likely. Quite the contrary in fact. Noise can make the signal stand out. Of course if it’s completely out of control noise can drown out the signal as well.

I also agree with this post.  grin

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2827
Joined  19-01-2015

24 March 2015 11:03

Frequent posters quickly come to know (and get bored with) each other’s point-of-view. Their only hope is for rare commentators to inject some fresh ideas in otherwise repetitive exchanges.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

24 March 2015 11:49

Twissell - 24 March 2015 10:03 AM

Frequent posters quickly come to know (and get bored with) each other’s point-of-view. Their only hope is for rare commentators to inject some fresh ideas in otherwise repetitive exchanges.

Nah ... new “faces” pop up periodically, and sometimes they bring fresh air in with them. Other times they bring in old, musty air, but that quickly gets filtered.

1 2 3 >  Last ›