1 2 3 >  Last ›

ATTENTION DR. HARRIS

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

17 June 2015 21:34

Dear Dr. Harris,

When I joined the Project Reason forum I had never posted regularly at any other online forum.  I expected the forum to be a formal discussion of matters pertaining to reason, humanism, and science.  The first thread that I initiated “The physiological basis of Consciousness” reflects this thinking.  I thought hundreds of professionals like me would be interacting in the discussion.  I didn’t realize that there were only 20 or 30 posters that interacted regularly in any given period of time.  It was a disappointment.  Another disappointment was your absence.

It has never been clear to me, whether or not you actually read any of the threads/posts on Project Reason.  Despite the fact that you are the owner and, at least in principle, the inspiration for PR’s existence, you have zero presence.  Why?

If I were a well-known philosopher/scientist like you, I would want my forum to reflect my intellectual acumen. As the owner of Project reason you must be proud of some of the discussions that have taken place at this site. But I would also guess that you are upset about the less than flattering language and content that has appeared on a number of other threads.  It is not surprising that in response to the increasing numbers of valueless posts one of the administrators pointedly hinted that changes may be taking place at this forum in the near future.  The removal of the “Forum” button from the Project Reason home page is consistent with this “hint”.

I and others would very much like to take part in a well-disciplined online academic discussion group.  I don’t speak for everybody, but I am sure that your input into some of the discussions directly, (or indirectly through a chosen surrogate), might better set the tone and level of discussion.

Those of us that are regular contributors look forward to a meaningful response concerning your future plans for the Project Reason forum. 

Sincerely,
Jeff

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

17 June 2015 22:03

jdrnd - 17 June 2015 07:34 PM

Dear Dr. Harris,

When I joined the Project Reason forum I had never posted regularly at any other online forum.  I expected the forum to be a formal discussion of matters pertaining to reason, humanism, and science.  The first thread that I initiated “The physiological basis of Consciousness” reflects this thinking.  I thought hundreds of professionals like me would be interacting in the discussion.  I didn’t realize that there were only 20 or 30 posters that interacted regularly in any given period of time.  It was a disappointment.  Another disappointment was your absence.

It has never been clear to me, whether or not you actually read any of the threads/posts on Project Reason.  Despite the fact that you are the owner and, at least in principle, the inspiration for PR’s existence, you have zero presence.  Why?

If I were a well-known philosopher/scientist like you, I would want my forum to reflect my intellectual acumen. As the owner of Project reason you must be proud of some of the discussions that have taken place at this site. But I would also guess that you are upset about the less than flattering language and content that has appeared on a number of other threads.  It is not surprising that in response to the increasing numbers of valueless posts one of the administrators pointedly hinted that changes may be taking place at this forum in the near future.  The removal of the “Forum” button from the Project Reason home page is consistent with this “hint”.

I and others would very much like to take part in a well-disciplined online academic discussion group.  I don’t speak for everybody, but I am sure that your input into some of the discussions directly, (or indirectly through a chosen surrogate), might better set the tone and level of discussion.

Those of us that are regular contributors look forward to a meaningful response concerning your future plans for the Project Reason forum. 

Sincerely,
Jeff

well, yes, but perhaps it is what it is, and it’s every day, in every way, getting better and better
gregory

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

18 June 2015 01:53

It is not surprising that in response to the increasing numbers of valueless posts one of the administrators pointedly hinted that changes may be taking place at this forum in the near future.  The removal of the “Forum” button from the Project Reason home page is consistent with this “hint”.

We are not aware of any such hints. We are no more informed about PR plans than you are. If we are informed we will be sure to pass it on.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21593
Joined  11-03-2007

18 June 2015 02:26

Dear Dr. Harris,

Sincerely,
Jeff

This constitutes a prayer to Sam Harris.  We’ll see if he responds.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 June 2015 09:14

EN - 18 June 2015 12:26 AM

Dear Dr. Harris,

Sincerely,
Jeff

This constitutes a prayer to Sam Harris.  We’ll see if he responds.

Its an appeal.

The difference is Sam Harris exists, and you-know-who doesn’t.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 June 2015 09:16

Nhoj Morley - 17 June 2015 11:53 PM

It is not surprising that in response to the increasing numbers of valueless posts one of the administrators pointedly hinted that changes may be taking place at this forum in the near future.  The removal of the “Forum” button from the Project Reason home page is consistent with this “hint”.

We are not aware of any such hints. We are no more informed about PR plans than you are. If we are informed we will be sure to pass it on.

How will non PR forum members learn about and join this forum?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

18 June 2015 10:34

jdrnd - 18 June 2015 07:16 AM

We may be the last of a dying species!

Jeff, why don’t you email Sam directly?  I found him in the moderators section.

[ Edited: 18 June 2015 11:14 by Dennis Campbell]

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 June 2015 11:25

Dennis Campbell - 18 June 2015 08:34 AM

I did

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

18 June 2015 11:27

The entire Project Reason website seems to be in a low-functioning transitional stage these days, Jeff, as Nhoj mentions here:
http://www.project-reason.org/forum/m/viewthread/32287/

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

18 June 2015 12:40

jdrnd - 18 June 2015 09:25 AM
Dennis Campbell - 18 June 2015 08:34 AM

I did

Good.  Hope you get a reply.

KathleenBrugger

KathleenBrugger
Total Posts:  1511
Joined  01-07-2013

18 June 2015 13:14

Thanks for posting this Jeff.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17629
Joined  15-02-2008

18 June 2015 13:31

This is an open public forum not a formal professional only forum, if that’s what you (Sam) wants then it needs to be a private site.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 June 2015 13:46

GAD - 18 June 2015 11:31 AM

This is an open public forum not a formal professional only forum, if that’s what you (Sam) wants then it needs to be a private site.

it does come down to the question of what is the purpose of this forum?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Joined  25-08-2009

18 June 2015 13:48

KathleenBrugger - 18 June 2015 11:14 AM

Thanks for posting this Jeff.

The post is in part due to a series of personal messages between myself and JB.  JB has made some contributions to this.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6374
Joined  31-01-2012

18 June 2015 13:53

Actually, guys, Sam has come to me and asked me to take the entire forum over. There’s going to be a lot changes around here. Good changes, I hope. First, casual Fridays are in effect. No pants Wednesdays will be no more and instead will be replaced with Margarita Mondays and Taco Tuesdays. Everyone has to wear a name badge at all time, and Martin will now be carrying a taser for those who become unruly. Sam really wants this place cleaned up. So he wants no more talk about morality, religion, science or philosophy. Instead he wants to see much more self defensive postings about popular culture. These are the times. Get with them! Also, nhoj will stil be relegated to his basement, but he has to keep his hair short. In fact, everyone could use a haircut around here. This isn’t the fucking minor leagues, people. This is Sam Harris’ Project Reason. And it won’t be not donated to.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17629
Joined  15-02-2008

18 June 2015 13:57

jdrnd - 18 June 2015 11:46 AM
GAD - 18 June 2015 11:31 AM

it does come down to the question of what is the purpose of this forum?

Indeed, what is the purpose? Sam’s books are written for the general public not academics. So restricting the forum to professionals only is biting the hand that feeds him. How many academics buy his books? Probably less then the number of posters on this forum.

1 2 3 >  Last ›