Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6374
Joined  31-01-2012

18 June 2015 14:08

jdrnd - 18 June 2015 11:48 AM
KathleenBrugger - 18 June 2015 11:14 AM

Thanks for posting this Jeff.

The post is in part due to a series of personal messages between myself and JB.  JB has made some contributions to this.

Some, but not many. Jeff was the brains. We simply share feeling letdown because we came here with expectations that were maybe too high. Looking back, they may have been unjustifiably high because I was wanting continuously awesome intellectual stuff.

For the most part, I love it here. But I’ve adapted to a contributor who often doesn’t even like his own posts. Sometimes. And I wondered with Jeff whether during a time of clear change, maybe we could get Sam’s long lost attention. But I’m of the impression that trying to get sam to come here and address any of this is like trying to get an nba player to go back and play at his childhood basketball court. You know why they so rarely do that? Besides the fact that they have limited time and could risk injuring themselves, they also don’t want to get schooled. This is because despite the fact that street ball follows the same rules, it’s a different game at the professional level. We’re street ballers. Sam’s in the NBA. Even though the game’s the same, the risk isn’t. If we could figure out a way to mitigate that and have him hear us, all I’m saying is that he could defintely make some contributions that would likely raise the bar.

[ Edited: 18 June 2015 14:13 by Jb8989]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

18 June 2015 14:34

jdrnd - 18 June 2015 11:48 AM

The post is in part due to a series of personal messages between myself and JB.  JB has made some contributions to this.

Could you boys provide an example or two of threads that demonstrate the sort of aspirations you have for this forum? Just to keep it clear.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21597
Joined  11-03-2007

18 June 2015 14:43

jdrnd - 17 June 2015 07:34 PM

Those of us that are regular contributors look forward to a meaningful response concerning your future plans for the Project Reason forum.

Just get rid of the damn theists and quasi-theists and the level of discussion will automatically rise to the Olympian heights that you crave.  We can’t get rid of ourselves because we all have addictive personalities and are deluded.  You must do it.  Just get rid of us and all will be well.  Sam will return and establish his kingdom on this forum.  Your church will be saved.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

18 June 2015 14:52

Jb8989 - 18 June 2015 11:53 AM

...nhoj will stil be relegated to his basement, but he has to keep his hair short.

As a mod, I shouldn’t take the bait on personal stuff, but I’m curious:
Why does my lack of mobility fascinate you? I wish I was more mobile. I’d like to find some local atheist group and attend it. Stuff like that. I think I’m making the best of my situation. What’s your point?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17630
Joined  15-02-2008

18 June 2015 14:57

EN - 18 June 2015 12:43 PM

Those of us that are regular contributors look forward to a meaningful response concerning your future plans for the Project Reason forum.

Just get rid of the damn theists and quasi-theists and the level of discussion will automatically rise to the Olympian heights that you crave.  We can’t get rid of ourselves because we all have addictive personalities and are deluded.  You must do it.  Just get rid of us and all will be well.  Sam will return and establish his kingdom on this forum.  Your church will be saved.

How dramatic! But I think I prefer the company of pseudo-quasi-theists over Sam.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

18 June 2015 15:05

Nhoj Morley - 18 June 2015 12:52 PM
Jb8989 - 18 June 2015 11:53 AM

...nhoj will stil be relegated to his basement, but he has to keep his hair short.

As a mod, I shouldn’t take the bait on personal stuff, but I’m curious:
Why does my lack of mobility fascinate you? I wish I was more mobile. I’d like to find some local atheist group and attend it. Stuff like that. I think I’m making the best of my situation. What’s your point?

I think you’re a really interesting dude. Not super formally educated but nonthless smarter than most who are. Deeply insightful. Pretty funny. And the thing is that whoever I think to tell a story about this guy nhoj I know, I’m always throwing in something along the lines of, “and he pretty much lives in his basement.” I don’t even know if that’s true or if there is a reason for it. I can’t even remember where I got it from. It just got stuck in my head as something interesting. Maybe because I want to take you places and have you heard. Maybe it’s something else. Don’t get defensive though. I’m sure you’ve done more in your basement than most have done with thier travel things. Still, you should get out more. I’ll pick you up if you want. But then you’d be subject to where I want to go, which for the recent past has been a walk about near cape town. We should start training now. We’ll need it!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

18 June 2015 15:06

You know that everyone here likes you, right?

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

18 June 2015 15:09

Sam will return and establish his kingdom on this forum.  Your church will be saved.

This is how a man of faith would speak.  But its not how I would speak.  As Gad pointed out it is somewhat dramatic.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

18 June 2015 15:13

Okay. Thanks for that, John. I confess that did get a little under my skin. Yeah, I’m stuck in the dark and there’s a reason that I can do efin nothing about. Nuff said. There’s great walking places right around here:

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

18 June 2015 15:41

Nhoj Morley - 18 June 2015 01:13 PM

Okay. Thanks for that, John. I confess that did get a little under my skin. Yeah, I’m stuck in the dark and there’s a reason that I can do efin nothing about. Nuff said. There’s great walking places right around here:

Sorry about that. I have a level of intolerableness about me that is over time enough to penetrate anyone’s patience. I think it because my dad was a depressed narcissistic and my mom was an undiagnosed borderline. Boarding school was a trip. Law school was easy. People are fascinating.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

18 June 2015 15:42

Nhoj Morley - 18 June 2015 01:13 PM

Have to think that in order for Jeff and John’s idea to begin to work, maybe, might be some kind of qualifying procedure, and that strikes me as contrary to what we have now, and in a negative sense.  Sure, we have had some idiot posters, who’ve usually not lasted, but we’ve some very good posters as well who’ve stayed around.  Theism/atheism should not be a criteria at all.  Civility, careful deliberation should be a goal.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

18 June 2015 16:03

I think a little bit of the problem here is the colloquial use of the word forum. Forum in the pillars and toga sense is not gonna happen just because there is a postable backpage on an internet site. It is simply the first word the designers could think of, and then they moved on.

I think a better concept-word is laboratory. This is somewhere for folks to present their home-brewed experiments in communication. What happens when you actually write like that and present ideas like that in front of a random selection of thoughtful people? The results can be surprising. If you’re determined to speak, it’s a chance to observe and learn and hone the craft of public communication. That’s the primary event of following all this. Debating contrasting ideas is a distant second in comparison. If you can’t talk, you can’t be heard.

I like that this is somewhere where posters like Mr. Grings can bring their stuff to a table and see how other folks respond.
Denny brought his stuff here, too, and now he’s under arrest. Communication skills matter.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

18 June 2015 16:07

Jb8989 - 18 June 2015 01:06 PM

You know that everyone here likes you, right?

n.

But my presence is not consistent with the stated goal of Project Reason.  My “drama” was comedic - but I’m serious now.  You NEED to get rid of us.  We mess the place up.  It will never be what Jdrnd wants with theists present.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

18 June 2015 16:12

But my presence is not consistent with the stated goal of Project Reason.  My “drama” was comedic - but I’m serious now.  You NEED to get rid of us.  We mess the place up.  It will never be what Jdrnd wants with theists present.

Disagree.  As said many times, IMO the atheism/theism divide should not apply.  Your are an asset, BM a deficit.  Nothing to do with theism.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

18 June 2015 16:16

Dennis Campbell - 18 June 2015 02:12 PM

Disagree.  As said many times, IMO the atheism/theism divide should not apply.  Your are an asset, BM a deficit.  Nothing to do with theism.

Not so sure, Dennis.  If a free forum is the goal, I’m at the right place.  If reason and the abolition of faith are the goal, I should be disqualified.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›