‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

A new forum.  What would you propose as operational parameters?

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5616
Joined  05-04-2006

02 July 2015 14:22

I’m certainly open to this, but I’d add that currently, I am (in addition to the full time job I’m currently posting from):

1) Teaching a six-week college course;
2) Taking a weekly graduate seminar which entails a copious amount of reading for each session (dozens of articles, the occasional book);
3) Meeting a couple of times over the course of the month for a second graduate seminar (several full-length books for each session) ;
4) Dealing with house & family issues while my wife is out of the country;
5) Helping my 17 year-old fill out college applications, plan campus visits, and so on.

Not complaining—I’m thoroughly enjoying all of the above (and while I miss my wife, I’m so busy it’s probably just as well that she’s visiting friends and family without me right now)—but if I’m not particularly responsive or engaged over the next few weeks, don’t be surprised. I will, however, take a closer look at what is potentially taking shape here.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

02 July 2015 15:04

bigredfutbol - 02 July 2015 12:22 PM

I’m certainly open to this, but I’d add that currently, I am (in addition to the full time job I’m currently posting from):

1) Teaching a six-week college course;
2) Taking a weekly graduate seminar which entails a copious amount of reading for each session (dozens of articles, the occasional book);
3) Meeting a couple of times over the course of the month for a second graduate seminar (several full-length books for each session) ;
4) Dealing with house & family issues while my wife is out of the country;
5) Helping my 17 year-old fill out college applications, plan campus visits, and so on.

Not complaining—I’m thoroughly enjoying all of the above (and while I miss my wife, I’m so busy it’s probably just as well that she’s visiting friends and family without me right now)—but if I’m not particularly responsive or engaged over the next few weeks, don’t be surprised. I will, however, take a closer look at what is potentially taking shape here.

Thanks for the reply.  Suspect others are engaged as well.  School, family and career come first.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9438
Joined  20-02-2006

02 July 2015 16:17

SkepticX - 02 July 2015 08:53 AM
unsmoked - 02 July 2015 12:12 AM

... the current new member ‘baffle’ at PR?

Thewhowhatnow?

Something I read here caused me to think that potential new members were unable to sign in and join.  Not so?

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

02 July 2015 16:23

unsmoked - 02 July 2015 02:17 PM
SkepticX - 02 July 2015 08:53 AM
unsmoked - 02 July 2015 12:12 AM

... the current new member ‘baffle’ at PR?

Thewhowhatnow?

Something I read here caused me to think that potential new members were unable to sign in and join.  Not so?

The only change I’m aware of is that the forum doesn’t show up on the front page of the PR site. I don’t know exactly when The Event actually happened—seems it’s been at least a few weeks or so since the sign in changed—but I think we’ve had a new member show up after.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8190
Joined  22-02-2014

02 July 2015 16:53

The side discussion about “white guys” is interesting:

- I absolutely agree that the male-only lists stood out like a sore thumb… not good.
- For whatever reason, my ad-hoc mental image has always been that the regulars are all white, but that was just an unconscious assumption - it might be interesting to discuss why? at some point.

In any case, Dennis, I also want to thank you for your generous offer and I’d suspect that you’ll get a lot more feedback if and when we know more about the future of PR. (This is from the “don’t worry about unknowns” dept.)

chimerical

chimerical
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  19-10-2009

02 July 2015 18:19

I’d like to see more Millennials on this proposed forum. And I don’t mean the “fuck you” or “my boss is an asshole” type. I’ve ran this hypothetical forum by a few of my friends and they jumped at the opportunity to have meaningful discussions away from the circumspect and mindless environment we inhabit.

While I just entered the habit of posting again, I’ve followed PR throughout college. I know, for instance, that Hannah would be an excellent choice for board member.

I’ve never been a volume poster, instead opting for quality over quantity (even if my posts fail to reflect that). The pressure to post with a purpose is compounded by the fact that I’m amid a forum of intellectual veterans. Most of you know I just graduated college.

My preference would be to see the exclusivity of a forum reserved for people 30+ years of age demolished. Perhaps many of you are thinking that’s a muddy, slippery slope. I’d agree, hence why I’ve suggested vetting potential members, and/or adopting an invitation system.

Even though it occurred years ago, I’ll never forget when, at the request of GAD, I posted a picture of my youthful face holding an index card with “I <3 woo” in blue highlighter written on it. My intellectual growth skyrocketed simply because I read, and occasionally posted, on this forum as a teenager. More people my age should have that experience.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

02 July 2015 18:56

This may sound odd, but I’m thinking the forum characteristics suggested by D sound a lot like Facebook, except with multiple searchable threads.  Actually, Facebook isn’t just for mindless chatter.  Lots of organizations and businesses have Facebook pages to disseminate info.  And it can actually host serious discussion, depending on the group of friends. 

Anyway, I’m not suggesting that this forum move over to Facebook, only that it may be an instructive model on some features:

1) Access by request, invite, or recommendation only (friend requests or suggestions)
2) Easy to ignore or eliminate people from thread (unfollow or unfriend)
3) Easy to post links, photos, videos
4) Organized, nested discussion structure
5) Personal Info share can be customized

Some drawbacks to Facebook are lack of anonymity (real names are used) and as stated above, all discussion is on one newsfeed thread.  It actually is possible to search the newsfeed by keyword, but this is not suited for finding new topics or posts easily.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

02 July 2015 21:02

Hannah2 - 02 July 2015 04:56 PM

This may sound odd, but I’m thinking the forum characteristics suggested by D sound a lot like Facebook, except with multiple searchable threads.  Actually, Facebook isn’t just for mindless chatter.  Lots of organizations and businesses have Facebook pages to disseminate info.  And it can actually host serious discussion, depending on the group of friends. 

Anyway, I’m not suggesting that this forum move over to Facebook, only that it may be an instructive model on some features:

1) Access by request, invite, or recommendation only (friend requests or suggestions)
2) Easy to ignore or eliminate people from thread (unfollow or unfriend)
3) Easy to post links, photos, videos
4) Organized, nested discussion structure
5) Personal Info share can be customized

Some drawbacks to Facebook are lack of anonymity (real names are used) and as stated above, all discussion is on one newsfeed thread.  It actually is possible to search the newsfeed by keyword, but this is not suited for finding new topics or posts easily.

I like the request, invite or recommendation idea. Of course my preference is only for white, male, elderly posters who agree with me; but that’d end up with a membership of one.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

02 July 2015 22:21

My preference would be to see the exclusivity of a forum reserved for people 30+ years of age demolished. Perhaps many of you are thinking that’s a muddy, slippery slope. I’d agree, hence why I’ve suggested vetting potential members, and/or adopting an invitation system.

In the forum of my fantasy, no one is excluded based on gender, age, ethnicity, or theological beliefs.  That said, The “fuck you” and “that asshole” population is not invited nor permitted. Again, this forum may well continue, in spite of my incredible wise recommendations and brilliant contributions, but then the value of slightly demented old men who only drool a little is always undervalued.  Sigh.  Life is so unfair!

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

02 July 2015 22:32

Dennis Campbell - 02 July 2015 10:28 AM

Agree.  But unless and until some members step forward as possible Board members, we’re just spinning our wheels.

I don’t think there’d likely be any problem with finding board members if this thing really, actually becomes a Thing. Until then—until there’s enough information (enough stuff has happened) in order to provide a sense of the direction in which this notion is going I think people are understandably hesitant to commit to anything much at all. And that’s probably best. If this does become a Thing it might be a problem if board types bug out because they didn’t sign up for what actually goes down.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

02 July 2015 23:12

SkepticX - 02 July 2015 08:32 PM

Agree.  But unless and until some members step forward as possible Board members, we’re just spinning our wheels.

I don’t think there’d likely be any problem with finding board members if this thing really, actually becomes a Thing. Until then—until there’s enough information (enough stuff has happened) in order to provide a sense of the direction in which this notion is going I think people are understandably hesitant to commit to anything much at all. And that’s probably best. If this does become a Thing it might be a problem if board types bug out because they didn’t sign up for what actually goes down.

You may well be right.  What I’m seeking in the event of PR’s demise, are people who can (1) articulate themselves in a manner that does not as a matter of routine denigrate others, (2) who can make decisions in the face of vague and/or ambiguous situations, knowing they’ll be criticized; (3) who are willing to endure the BS that is inevitable in the formation of any forum; (4) people who’ll actually initiate actions rather then wait for someone else to do so.  I’ll finance it, as posted, but the “Board” will own it. I will not be a part of that Board. I’m old and declining, if absent modesty. Would like to leave behind something besides popcorn.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8190
Joined  22-02-2014

02 July 2015 23:42

Dennis Campbell - 02 July 2015 08:21 PM

In the forum of my fantasy, no one is excluded based on gender, age, ethnicity, or theological beliefs.  That said, The “fuck you” and “that asshole” population is not invited nor permitted. Again, this forum may well continue, in spite of my incredible wise recommendations and brilliant contributions, but then the value of slightly demented old men who only drool a little is always undervalued.  Sigh.  Life is so unfair!

Not specifically in this post, but it seems that there has been a notion in this thread that somehow younger people are not welcome or have been excluded? Can anyone say more about that? Since I’ve been here it’s always seemed as though anyone who can hold up their end of a reasoned argument or discussion is welcome…

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

03 July 2015 00:00

SkepticX - 02 July 2015 08:32 PM

The problem is, as best stated by BRF, that we would all might be interested in serving on a board, but we are all busy in real world activities. 
Perhaps it is Harris’s real world responsibilities that result in his absence from this forum.

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

03 July 2015 00:13

icehorse - 02 July 2015 09:42 PM

Not specifically in this post, but it seems that there has been a notion in this thread that somehow younger people are not welcome or have been excluded? Can anyone say more about that? Since I’ve been here it’s always seemed as though anyone who can hold up their end of a reasoned argument or discussion is welcome…

Until J Kapp provides a detailed defense of his youth, how can he possibly be tolerated? Also, J Kapp—what was your major? Are you now in a graduate program? Any updates as to your sexuality? These are pressing issues! Fess up soon or you’ll be mocked by all of us old farts!

Actually, I really am curious. He thinks he learned a lot from us old-timers, but my memory is different. I think we learned a lot about life as a result of conversing with him.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

03 July 2015 00:49

envy me - 02 July 2015 10:13 PM
icehorse - 02 July 2015 09:42 PM

Until J Kapp provides a detailed defense of his youth, how can he possibly be tolerated? Also, J Kapp—what was your major? Are you now in a graduate program? Any updates as to your sexuality? These are pressing issues! Fess up soon or you’ll be mocked by all of us old farts!

Actually, I really am curious. He thinks he learned a lot from us old-timers, but my memory is different. I think we learned a lot about life as a result of conversing with him.

Bah, humbug!  Any time a young whipper snapper like Knapp can teach me anything, why, I’ll drool!  Excuse me, I’ve this splatter of stuff on my feet I need to clean up.

‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›