‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 > 

A new forum.  What would you propose as operational parameters?

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

03 July 2015 01:06

Dennis Campbell - 02 July 2015 09:12 PM

You may well be right.  What I’m seeking in the event of PR’s demise, are people who can (1) articulate themselves in a manner that does not as a matter of routine denigrate others, (2) who can make decisions in the face of vague and/or ambiguous situations, knowing they’ll be criticized; (3) who are willing to endure the BS that is inevitable in the formation of any forum; (4) people who’ll actually initiate actions rather then wait for someone else to do so.

Given conscientious types I’d still say the same as I just did for that menu. People who have enough of the disposition and who are called into this sort of role tend to rise to the occasion. Nhoj and Martin are fine examples. We’ve also had examples of the lack of disposition in the past—not from either Nhoj or Martin. All good examples for consideration (I’m reluctant to say any more about the negative examples).

Dennis Campbell - 02 July 2015 09:12 PM

I’ll finance it, as posted, but the “Board” will own it. I will not be a part of that Board. I’m old and declining, if absent modesty. Would like to leave behind something besides popcorn.

Can’t but respect that, man.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3858
Joined  20-11-2013

03 July 2015 18:30

FWIW, it appears that no one using these forums has any idea what is going on with the forums, including Nhoj and Martin (unless they are holding out on us, cheeky devils that they are).

Over the years I was involved with two forums that were taken down without warning.  Both forums were rather large communities, members in the tens of thousands, and then they were gone.  This occurred during separate time frames and were unrelated, but it is something that has happened before and can happen again.  One clicks on a bookmark and gets a 404 error message.

http://www.forums-for-reason.org/ is up and running in basic form, and will be right where it is for at least a year.  My web hosting package is paid up for the next two years, and Forums for Reason is paid up for a year.  I put it there for you.  It’s your forum, whether or not you choose to use it.

This is only a suggestion, but as many as are interested in pursuing the topic of this thread might be well-advised to establish membership at Forums for Reason just to be able to continue to communicate should something untoward become of the Project Reason Forums and this thread along with them.

As always, I’m easy to ignore.  But in a larger sense so far as the internet is concerned, so are we all.  Sam can pull the plug, at any time.

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

03 July 2015 22:31

Did anyone else notice that the private message thing isnt working? I’ve been here almost a year, and though i’ve posted over 1,400 messages,  this was my 3rd private message, but it didnt work. (maybe two is the max? - maybe this forum is breathing it’s last breath?)
gregory

Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  01-07-2012

03 July 2015 23:01

Maybe the forum is breathing its last, so a special thank you to BB and Dennis for the efforts of helping to establish another forum.  I won’t be signing up.  Beginning to sound as if the walls are crumbling already.  Sam should not dilly dally around with plug pulling.  Just pull it for Chrissake.  Adios Amigos.

J Kapp

J Kapp
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  19-10-2009

04 July 2015 01:18

envy me - 02 July 2015 10:13 PM

Until J Kapp provides a detailed defense of his youth, how can he possibly be tolerated? Also, J Kapp—what was your major? Are you now in a graduate program? Any updates as to your sexuality? These are pressing issues! Fess up soon or you’ll be mocked by all of us old farts!

Actually, I really am curious. He thinks he learned a lot from us old-timers, but my memory is different. I think we learned a lot about life as a result of conversing with him.

I know you’re joking, but an “In Defense of Millennials” thread has the potential to be a lively topic. The future is in good hands.

The other questions I will answer in the future. Probably on the Forums for Reason, if that’s the route we take.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 July 2015 13:13

Synopsis:

Dennis Campbell - 01 July 2015 07:44 PM

No.  BB made an offer, in good faith I assume.  But I’m declining, after some thought.
. . .
All of this is a useless waste of effort absent some folks here stepping forward.  No step, no loss.  I am arrogant enough to think we can not only create, but populate such a forum without depending on any famous person to do so.  I may well be wrong.

bbearren - 01 July 2015 10:56 PM

I have upped the ante.  Forums for Reason is online, ready for registrants.  There are at present three forums; General, Mission statement, and Suggested Topic Categories.  I would suggest that those be used first.

At present I am admin, but I do not intend to hold that position.  The forum is now open for new members.  If a few sign up, you can decide amongst yourselves who should become moderators, and the moderators can select an admin.  Or make that selection any way you would like, that was just a suggestion.

For the time being, I’ll do the heavy lifting, but I won’t be posting anything other than answers to questions pertaining to the forum.  If you don’t want me to join, I won’t.

The ball(s) is in your court.  It’s your forum.

Why am I doing this?  It’s scattered in my posts from the beginning of my participation here.

unsmoked - 02 July 2015 12:22 AM
Hannah2 - 01 July 2015 11:31 PM

Hmm.  Feeling strangely invisible.

You are not invisible.  I think everyone on that list would agree it’s an oversight.  I immediately flinched when I saw that your name, and a number of others were not there.

Jefe - 02 July 2015 09:12 AM
bbearren - 02 July 2015 06:44 AM

The pathway is before you.  The clay is on the wheel, ready to be spun and shaped.  Dennis is not in charge, nor am I.  The only thing lacking is commitment.  At the moment, Forum for Reason is open, but not public.  No one has yet been excluded.  It can be made into whatever you wish it to be.

However, wishing will get you no action.  Doing may well produce some results.

All of this is a useless waste of effort absent some folks here stepping forward.  No step, no loss.  I am arrogant enough to think we can not only create, but populate such a forum without depending on any famous person to do so.  I may well be wrong.

Is he wrong?

Maybe patience is the virtue you’re looking for.
Not everyone dives into change, and not everyone surfs the forums constantly. 

More than a few hours to notice, decide and register is not, perhaps, too much generosity before playing the impatience/wasted time cards.

bbearren - 02 July 2015 09:19 AM
Dennis Campbell - 22 June 2015 07:12 PM

OK, maybe a huge issue.  First, we have a number of people here who’d constitute an excellent “Board of Directors” of a new forum.  Second, as much as possible I’d finance it to the tune of 10k.  I’ve some but not endless resources, and might well need others, but that’s not the main issue to me.  The main issue is what would be the philosophical definitions of such a forum, as different from or the same as PR?  Some opinions, which are central to my financial support:

1. There will be limits on what is posted, defined by an philosophical statement as well as a Board of directors.
2. There will be required standards of civility, an absence of personal attack or threats, but no proscriptions of any theism or atheism.  Any expressed philosophical position is open to attack or criticism, but not the person so expressing a position, absent that person’s denigration of others by virtue of race, gender, age or any other attribute that is not chosen. 
3.  My initial Board of Directors asks for Billy, EN, Burt, Nhoj, Martin, BRF, and any others who express an interest and who have demonstrated to me that they’re rational, non-bigoted, deliberative folks.

OK, I’ve tossed a ball.  Anyone want to respond?

I have done no more than establish a platform for those addressed by Dennis in the OP.  I am only handling the backend of the forum. I’ve also PM’d Dennis’ “list”.  Other than that, I’ll handle the tech for a spell, but I’m not handling the ball.

bbearren - 03 July 2015 04:30 PM

FWIW, it appears that no one using these forums has any idea what is going on with the forums, including Nhoj and Martin (unless they are holding out on us, cheeky devils that they are).

Over the years I was involved with two forums that were taken down without warning.  Both forums were rather large communities, members in the tens of thousands, and then they were gone.  This occurred during separate time frames and were unrelated, but it is something that has happened before and can happen again.  One clicks on a bookmark and gets a 404 error message.

http://www.forums-for-reason.org/ is up and running in basic form, and will be right where it is for at least a year.  My web hosting package is paid up for the next two years, and Forums for Reason is paid up for a year.  I put it there for you.  It’s your forum, whether or not you choose to use it.

This is only a suggestion, but as many as are interested in pursuing the topic of this thread might be well-advised to establish membership at Forums for Reason just to be able to continue to communicate should something untoward become of the Project Reason Forums and this thread along with them.

As always, I’m easy to ignore.  But in a larger sense so far as the internet is concerned, so are we all.  Sam can pull the plug, at any time.

... I am arrogant enough to think we can not only create, but populate such a forum without depending on any famous person to do so.  I may well be wrong.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 July 2015 13:19

mjhrobson - 07 November 2014 02:17 AM
Dennis Campbell - 06 November 2014 11:22 PM

All bb does repeated previous posts, which assert that he’s arrived at some understanding of some god,  Period. S/he offers nothing more than that.  Boring.

I agree that talking with bb is boring… more so even than EN. However, his posts are anthropologically interesting, in as much as they are an expression of a benign dogma. Like a benign cancer growth, it is ugly and twisted but it will not kill you.

Interesting.  Although I wouldn’t have put it in those words, this is pretty much the general take I had on PR almost twelve months ago.  My explorations with the denizens have for the most part confirmed this, but the experiment is ongoing.  I mean, atheists talk big, but they are ultimately powerless, and seem to be fairly well PO’d about that realization.

Which is not to say that all members fit this description; there are a couple who can be rather pleasant to engage in discussion.  Just guessing here, but those seem to be of the opinion that the “big movement” isn’t so much a big movement.

And it is indeed humorous that no matter how many time’s I’ve said it, no matter how many different ways I’ve tried to confirm that I cannot be insulted or ridiculed, that I don’t really have any self-esteem, and am unconcerned by what others may think or feel about me, the die-hards seem determined to try.  Reminds me of the monkey who can’t pull his hand out of a jar because he doesn’t want to let go of his nuts.

As for “what is wrong with” me, as stated by a teaching psychologist from the USF College of Medicine, nothing, really.  I’m different from most folks, but that’s about it.  Whether or not that opinion or that psychologist meets with the approval of anyone here is meaningless.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 July 2015 13:23

bbearren - 01 November 2014 09:41 AM

I’m not here to build cred, reputation, or to be recognized as having an opinion worth addressing.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

04 July 2015 13:44

bbearren - 04 July 2015 11:23 AM
bbearren - 01 November 2014 09:41 AM

I’m not here to build cred, reputation, or to be recognized as having an opinion worth addressing.

I registered.  Appreciate the effort.  It remains to be seen if and as others here join or even if this forum platform is needed in view of the uncertainty of PR at the moment.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 July 2015 14:14

Anyone who is still convinced that this is a persona, PM me and I’ll give you my cell phone number.  You can block your own number from caller ID before you call, and we can chat.  I have unlimited calls for the continental US, so it’s free on my end.

This ‘challenge’ remains unanswered.  There are really only two reasons; indifference, or ‘fear of failure’.  This is as I have expected.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 July 2015 14:14

Getting back to the OP, seven have registered at Forums for Reason.  None have posted much more than “here I am”.  Dennis has started a new thread.  I have just changed the registration requirements to include “email verification” from “immediate registration”.  This means only that a valid email address must be used in order to register.  There are further restrictions that can be placed on registration at the site (which have been suggested in this thread), but I’ve seen no consensus on what those should be.

I can surely be wrong, but indications to me are that the plug is going to be pulled on PR Forums at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I’ve made the statement, but I’ll turn it into a pledge.  I pledge to those who have responded to this thread (and all those who may do so in the future), and to all those who have registered at Forums for Reason (and all those who may do so in the future) that I will faithfully host, support and maintain Forums for Reason at least until July 1, 2016, and perhaps longer.

I also pledge to relinquish my involvement in that site whenever a duly constituted (as to your satisfaction) Board has agreed to take it on.  In addition, I have not nor will I register as a member of that forum unless specifically invited by a quorum of members of that forum.

Yes, I understand life gets in the way.  No, I am not being impatient—I’m giving you at least a year.

This is not about me.  It is about you.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6424
Joined  22-02-2005

04 July 2015 14:42

I hope everyone will understand if I show no enthusiasm for jumping ship just yet. As long as the lights are on here, I’ll be polishing the shot glasses.

Direct inquiries of the ubers have been made. We are not holding back on any news. Like everyone else. we’re making it up as we go along.

Perhaps web designers are still working on a glorious new PR home page and site layout. Perhaps they won’t finish until they are paid. Maybe that’s what the donate button is for. Enough money will buy the site back.

I’m sure I could become a poster under bb’s system. Obviously, taking on any role of mod, admin, caretaker, jester or minstrel would be by invitation. Right now, I have an engagement that I will not shirk unless and until the lights go out. .

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

04 July 2015 14:46

Nhoj Morley - 04 July 2015 12:42 PM

I hope everyone will understand if I show no enthusiasm for jumping ship just yet. As long as the lights are on here, I’ll be polishing the shot glasses.

Direct inquiries of the ubers have been made. We are not holding back on any news. Like everyone else. we’re making it up as we go along.

Perhaps web designers are still working on a glorious new PR home page and site layout. Perhaps they won’t finish until they are paid. Maybe that’s what the donate button is for. Enough money will buy the site back.

I’m sure I could become a poster under bb’s system. Obviously, taking on any role of mod, admin, caretaker, jester or minstrel would be by invitation. Right now, I have an engagement that I will not shirk unless and until the lights go out. .

Like you, and most here, am waiting to see what happens.  Not a bad idea to explore options if need be.  BB’s structure seems good.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

04 July 2015 14:58

Nhoj Morley - 04 July 2015 12:42 PM

Understood on all points, and obligations respected.  I am a moderator at Windows Secrets Lounge where things sometimes change and we mods are in the dark for a spell.  However, that is a commercial venture, not a nonprofit foundation, so a little different in its administration.

OTH, Forums for Reason is not “bb’s system”.  I’m not doing it for me.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8768
Joined  20-02-2006

04 July 2015 15:50

icehorse - 02 July 2015 09:42 PM

Not specifically in this post, but it seems that there has been a notion in this thread that somehow younger people are not welcome or have been excluded? Can anyone say more about that? Since I’ve been here it’s always seemed as though anyone who can hold up their end of a reasoned argument or discussion is welcome…

Does gray hair mean wisdom?

Thoreau, one of our best and brightest, mentioned several times that age wasn’t a reliable indication of wisdom.  He died in 1862 when he was 45.  If ‘consumption’ hadn’t killed him, would the carnage of the Civil War have shocked him to death?  Imagine having to read in the newspaper that more than 8000 were lying dead in a Pennsylvania field - 43,000 wounded.  There were picnickers and reporters on surrounding hills to watch it all.  As the smoke cleared and the Confederates staggered back down the hill, there’s gray-haired Robert E. Lee on his white horse calling to his men, “I’m sorry boys!  A mistake!  It was all my fault!”

‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 >