< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

A new forum.  What would you propose as operational parameters?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6333
Joined  22-02-2005

23 June 2015 23:10

I am already extremely on record as to my philosophy of forum management.

If something were to happen here or stop happening, I would start it elsewhere or be amicable to getting involved in a group effort. My rates are low.

It might be neat to have my own forum without Martin constantly telling me what to do.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

23 June 2015 23:36

Nhoj Morley - 23 June 2015 09:10 PM

I am already extremely on record as to my philosophy of forum management.

If something were to happen here or stop happening, I would start it elsewhere or be amicable to getting involved in a group effort. My rates are low.

It might be neat to have my own forum without Martin constantly telling me what to do.

Martin is such a dictator!  Damned Aussies…all alike.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

23 June 2015 23:52

Jefe - 23 June 2015 04:48 PM

Firstly, this is a generous offer.  Thanks Dennis.

Secondly, I have run a private set of forums in the past, and can provide some guidance (but not all) and bear in mind that it’s been a long time since I was directly involved in my own small forum.

Forums can balloon on one if they are set up to allow public access and subscription.  If they are not set up to provide public access or subscription, then they may end up being a handful of people batting balloons back and forth with no real change to the community makeup.

There are also some security and liability issues with running a public access forum.  The software used to run forums ‘should’ be updated to stay on top of security bugs and other gaps where private user information may become less than secure.  This ‘can’ be mitigated somewhat with disclaimers and such, but it is death to a forum if they private information leaks and the administrators are unable to update (for whatever reason).  Liability also becomes an issue if there is any form of payment transaction going on, as private credit info requires a whole bunch of regulated security and protections against such an eventuality.  This is not meant to scare anyone away from such an endeavor, but simply meant to inform.  I don’t think a private forum of the nature Dennis is talking about would have any sort of payment handling, so this may be moot.

Administrating a forum also requires moderator(s) who can clean up spambot traffic, deal with automated crawler/subcriberbots, and generally help deal with unruly or unwanted users.  These mods will probably also perform the job of updating membership guidelines and rules as well. (Hi Nohn and Mart!)

Ordinariliy a form of 20-40 people could probably fit into a web hosting account at a similar expense scale to what Nohj has suggested (Under $500/year) from a domain and webspace subscription.  Paying a technical minded person to install and set-up the forum software (and access accounts for owners and mods etc) can probably scale from around $1000 and up - depending of level of complexity, design considerations, and whatnot.  I think software can probably ballpark from Sub $1000 to above, again depending of modernity, feature set, and whatnot.  The web sub will have to be compatible with the Forum Software (not a huge deal, most domain/web hosts have modules for the more common software sets).

In summary, this could be done, and likely for less than the amount Dennis has suggested, with a yearly of $500 or less (likely quite a bit less) to keep up, provided the subscriber base remains smallish (1-200 users) and the software and access accounts are kept up to date.

This should give you all some cud to chew while thinking this over.

Thanks again for the generous offer, Dennis.  Hope this is helpful.

$500 per year per subscription/membership? or $500 per year total?

I’m thinking you meant the latter, in which case I’m interested too—regardless of what happens here.

My own experience with this sort of thing dates back to a few years or so before the Interweb went public, when I ran a WWIVnet computer BBS in Redlands, CA called The USS Asimov. BBS networks were a very different beastie than the Interweb though, and when Windows 95 came out I decided I wasn’t interested enough in keeping up my power user status to devote the time and effort to do so with everything else I had going on at the time.

What I may have to offer is that a bunch of my friends are professional programmer and tech types (almost all work at Partner Software in Athens, GA). I can ask about how to best set this kind of thing up, and I expect at least a few (Alex in particular, who has crazy practical smarts) will either already know or have some ideas they (he) can work out.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

24 June 2015 00:39

SkepticX - 23 June 2015 09:52 PM
Jefe - 23 June 2015 04:48 PM

Firstly, this is a generous offer.  Thanks Dennis.

Secondly, I have run a private set of forums in the past, and can provide some guidance (but not all) and bear in mind that it’s been a long time since I was directly involved in my own small forum.

Forums can balloon on one if they are set up to allow public access and subscription.  If they are not set up to provide public access or subscription, then they may end up being a handful of people batting balloons back and forth with no real change to the community makeup.

There are also some security and liability issues with running a public access forum.  The software used to run forums ‘should’ be updated to stay on top of security bugs and other gaps where private user information may become less than secure.  This ‘can’ be mitigated somewhat with disclaimers and such, but it is death to a forum if they private information leaks and the administrators are unable to update (for whatever reason).  Liability also becomes an issue if there is any form of payment transaction going on, as private credit info requires a whole bunch of regulated security and protections against such an eventuality.  This is not meant to scare anyone away from such an endeavor, but simply meant to inform.  I don’t think a private forum of the nature Dennis is talking about would have any sort of payment handling, so this may be moot.

Administrating a forum also requires moderator(s) who can clean up spambot traffic, deal with automated crawler/subcriberbots, and generally help deal with unruly or unwanted users.  These mods will probably also perform the job of updating membership guidelines and rules as well. (Hi Nohn and Mart!)

Ordinariliy a form of 20-40 people could probably fit into a web hosting account at a similar expense scale to what Nohj has suggested (Under $500/year) from a domain and webspace subscription.  Paying a technical minded person to install and set-up the forum software (and access accounts for owners and mods etc) can probably scale from around $1000 and up - depending of level of complexity, design considerations, and whatnot.  I think software can probably ballpark from Sub $1000 to above, again depending of modernity, feature set, and whatnot.  The web sub will have to be compatible with the Forum Software (not a huge deal, most domain/web hosts have modules for the more common software sets).

In summary, this could be done, and likely for less than the amount Dennis has suggested, with a yearly of $500 or less (likely quite a bit less) to keep up, provided the subscriber base remains smallish (1-200 users) and the software and access accounts are kept up to date.

This should give you all some cud to chew while thinking this over.

Thanks again for the generous offer, Dennis.  Hope this is helpful.

$500 per year per subscription/membership? or $500 per year total?

Total.  $500/yr for a domain + web hosting contract and bandwidth.  Probably less.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

24 June 2015 10:50

Ask the Google about “free forum hosting” ...

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

24 June 2015 11:04

SkepticX - 24 June 2015 08:50 AM

Ask the Google about “free forum hosting” ...

Free usually means ‘with ads’ or ‘with limits’.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

24 June 2015 11:24

I’d expect both.

But if there are free wigets that generally means there’s a low end wiget market as well.

Just means there are plenty of options that don’t have to cost much.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

24 June 2015 11:35

SkepticX - 24 June 2015 09:24 AM

I’d expect both.

But if there are free wigets that generally means there’s a low end wiget market as well.

True, that.  Depending on the audience tolerance for a few ads or whatnot, then a public ‘free forum’ could work.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

24 June 2015 12:00

Jefe - 24 June 2015 09:35 AM
SkepticX - 24 June 2015 09:24 AM

I’d expect both.

True, that.  Depending on the audience tolerance for a few ads or whatnot, then a public ‘free forum’ could work.

Yup ... so it’s a matter of what the kids who want to do this are willing to tolerate (I don’t think “public forum” means you have to let everyone in and you can’t boot anyone out though—that seems a pretty minimal basic capacity).

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9286
Joined  29-01-2010

26 June 2015 16:27

I think it sounds elitist and boring, but that may be because I suspect I would be denied entrance.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

26 June 2015 17:12

saralynn - 26 June 2015 02:27 PM

I think it sounds elitist and boring, but that may be because I suspect I would be denied entrance.

No, not based your posts.

J Kapp

J Kapp
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  19-10-2009

26 June 2015 17:25

Never! If I qualify, then you do definitely do! 

Your post and others’ give me the impression more would be on board if entry was less stringent. Ironically, my best friend just suggested we start a philosophy forum. I’m certain there is a crowd outside of the current active members at PR who’d be very interested in the type of forum Dennis proposes.

I’ve been over to the Religious Forums (someone suggested it) and it’s a perfect example of the type of forum I don’t desire.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

26 June 2015 19:06

J Kapp - 26 June 2015 03:25 PM

Never! If I qualify, then you do definitely do! 

Your post and others’ give me the impression more would be on board if entry was less stringent. Ironically, my best friend just suggested we start a philosophy forum. I’m certain there is a crowd outside of the current active members at PR who’d be very interested in the type of forum Dennis proposes.

I’ve been over to the Religious Forums (someone suggested it) and it’s a perfect example of the type of forum I don’t desire.

Same call as in the OP for defining the nature of such a forum.  I suspect that the efforts of a small group of senior people would exceed anything I could do

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

26 June 2015 19:40

Dennis Campbell - 26 June 2015 05:06 PM

. . . I suspect that the efforts of a small group of senior people would exceed anything I could do

Who chooses the “senior” group members? (If it’s a new forum, no one can be called senior other than in age, right?)

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

26 June 2015 21:06

envy me - 26 June 2015 05:40 PM
Dennis Campbell - 26 June 2015 05:06 PM

. . . I suspect that the efforts of a small group of senior people would exceed anything I could do

Who chooses the “senior” group members? (If it’s a new forum, no one can be called senior other than in age, right?)

I asked for fools to step up; so far, they’re wise and none have done so.  Choose?  If I’m financing it, I’ll choose; after that, let it develop as a potential option, on its own.  Or, if there are any who so step up, I’ll create poll in which I’ve one vote.  The top five get it.  My bet?  No one will so declare they’re interested.  I, by the way, recluse myself.  Who would I be biased toward?  Nohj, Martin, EN, Billy, Burt, Jefe, Sx, BRF, and some others who’ve clearly demonstrated intelligence, education, written expressive skills; intellectual integrity, and the ability to laugh at themselves. Also the ability to be able to state a clear opinion without denigrating disagreeing opinions.  Please everyone?  Hell, no.  I’ve offered to put up as much as 10k across a few years.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›