< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

A new forum.  What would you propose as operational parameters?

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

26 June 2015 21:31

Dennis Campbell - 26 June 2015 07:06 PM
envy me - 26 June 2015 05:40 PM
Dennis Campbell - 26 June 2015 05:06 PM

. . . I suspect that the efforts of a small group of senior people would exceed anything I could do

Who chooses the “senior” group members? (If it’s a new forum, no one can be called senior other than in age, right?)

I asked for fools to step up; so far, they’re wise and none have done so.  Choose?  If I’m financing it, I’ll choose; after that, let it develop as a potential option, on its own.  Or, if there are any who so step up, I’ll create poll in which I’ve one vote.  The top five get it.  My bet?  No one will so declare they’re interested.  I, by the way, recluse myself.  Who would I be biased toward?  Nohj, Martin, EN, Billy, Burt, Jefe, Sx, BRF, and some others who’ve clearly demonstrated intelligence, education, written expressive skills; intellectual integrity, and the ability to laugh at themselves. Also the ability to be able to state a clear opinion without denigrating disagreeing opinions.  Please everyone?  Hell, no.  I’ve offered to put up as much as 10k across a few years.

um, speaking of wise fools . . . ha ha ha
gregory

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

26 June 2015 22:36

saralynn - 26 June 2015 02:27 PM

I think it sounds elitist and boring, but that may be because I suspect I would be denied entrance.

That’s a potential problem—not likely in terms of you being denied, but exclusivity that’s more about appeasing personal demons than in addressing legitimate potential problems.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

26 June 2015 22:45

SkepticX - 26 June 2015 08:36 PM

I think it sounds elitist and boring, but that may be because I suspect I would be denied entrance.

That’s a potential problem—not likely in terms of you being denied, but exclusivity that’s more about appeasing personal demons than in addressing legitimate potential problems.

I’m sorry, but this part of the sentence makes absolutely no sense to me…

, but exclusivity that’s more about appeasing personal demons than in addressing legitimate potential problems

But, then again, maybe I don’t want to know.  It sounds a tad creepy.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

26 June 2015 22:59

saralynn - 26 June 2015 08:45 PM

, but exclusivity that’s more about appeasing personal demons than in addressing legitimate potential problems

If you set up the parameters of exclusion based upon feeding your own personal demons (validating personal prejudices) rather than on addressing legitimate potential problems ... 

Not sure where you’re getting the creepy from or why.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

27 June 2015 00:28

That’s Sara.  That’s most of what she has to say.  Even if sometimes in a delightful manner.  Anything serious?  Not from Sara.

eucaryote

eucaryote
Total Posts:  3497
Joined  20-08-2006

27 June 2015 02:51

Sara,
I think your instincts are right on, perfectly creepy. Seriously creepy.

eucaryote

eucaryote
Joined  20-08-2006

27 June 2015 02:53

Dennis Campbell - 26 June 2015 10:28 PM

That’s Sara.  That’s most of what she has to say.  Even if sometimes in a delightful manner.  Anything serious?  Not from Sara.

So then she’s not welcome then. She has no serous thoughts, not like you or the other accepted ones?!

J Kapp

J Kapp
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  19-10-2009

27 June 2015 04:00

Well. Things sure have “evolved” since I was active a few years ago.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

27 June 2015 11:32

SkepticX - 26 June 2015 08:59 PM

If you set up the parameters of exclusion based upon feeding your own personal demons (validating personal prejudices) rather than on addressing legitimate potential problems ... 

Guess Mario has sensitized me to the word “demon”

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

27 June 2015 11:42

Hey, that strikes me as a personal attack.  I’m sorry, Dennis, but you can’t join the group you are starting.

Uh….it is a noble cause, though….can you still give us the $10,000?

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

27 June 2015 12:36

saralynn - 27 June 2015 09:42 AM

Hey, that strikes me as a personal attack.  I’m sorry, Dennis, but you can’t join the group you are starting.

Check is in the mail.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Joined  24-12-2004

27 June 2015 13:36

saralynn - 27 June 2015 09:42 AM

Brilliant idea Sara!

Maybe ...

How about requiring some for of penance to return to the fray after an established personal attack? If we can figure out a good way to make that a workable idea it may be good training/character building for all involved—seems it would probably have a pretty significant effect on the nature and quality of discourse. On the other hand the serious attempt to implement the idea may also demonstrate that human nature will make it too problematic—unworkable. Or whatever. Seems worthy of some consideration to me anyway.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3808
Joined  20-11-2013

27 June 2015 13:59

Dennis Campbell - 22 June 2015 07:12 PM

OK, maybe a huge issue.  First, we have a number of people here who’d constitute an excellent “Board of Directors” of a new forum.  Second, as much as possible I’d finance it to the tune of 10k.  I’ve some but not endless resources, and might well need others, but that’s not the main issue to me.  The main issue is what would be the philosophical definitions of such a forum, as different from or the same as PR?  Some opinions, which are central to my financial support:

1. There will be limits on what is posted, defined by an philosophical statement as well as a Board of directors.
2. There will be required standards of civility, an absence of personal attack or threats, but no proscriptions of any theism or atheism.  Any expressed philosophical position is open to attack or criticism, but not the person so expressing a position, absent that person’s denigration of others by virtue of race, gender, age or any other attribute that is not chosen. 
3.  My initial Board of Directors asks for Billy, EN, Burt, Nhoj, Martin, BRF, and any others who express an interest and who have demonstrated to me that they’re rational, non-bigoted, deliberative folks.

OK, I’ve tossed a ball.  Anyone want to respond?

Is this because of The Dump not being dumped when you wanted it to be dumped?

If exclusivity is your only requirement, you can get high-bandwidth web hosting for ~$120/year, domain registration for ~$15/year, some good open source forum software for free (some with ‘bot’ exclusion built-in) and as small as it’s likely to be, you should easily be able to administer/moderate it yourself.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

27 June 2015 14:53

bbearren - 27 June 2015 11:59 AM

OK, maybe a huge issue.  First, we have a number of people here who’d constitute an excellent “Board of Directors” of a new forum.  Second, as much as possible I’d finance it to the tune of 10k.  I’ve some but not endless resources, and might well need others, but that’s not the main issue to me.  The main issue is what would be the philosophical definitions of such a forum, as different from or the same as PR?  Some opinions, which are central to my financial support:

1. There will be limits on what is posted, defined by an philosophical statement as well as a Board of directors.
2. There will be required standards of civility, an absence of personal attack or threats, but no proscriptions of any theism or atheism.  Any expressed philosophical position is open to attack or criticism, but not the person so expressing a position, absent that person’s denigration of others by virtue of race, gender, age or any other attribute that is not chosen. 
3.  My initial Board of Directors asks for Billy, EN, Burt, Nhoj, Martin, BRF, and any others who express an interest and who have demonstrated to me that they’re rational, non-bigoted, deliberative folks.

OK, I’ve tossed a ball.  Anyone want to respond?

Is this because of The Dump not being dumped when you wanted it to be dumped?

If exclusivity is your only requirement, you can get high-bandwidth web hosting for ~$120/year, domain registration for ~$15/year, some good open source forum software for free (some with ‘bot’ exclusion built-in) and as small as it’s likely to be, you should easily be able to administer/moderate it yourself.

Shhhh…don’t tell Dennis, but I miss Mario.  If Dennis finds out, he will throw up on his keyboard and I will lose any hope of being included in his coterie of intellectuals. 

In addition to that, I’ve derailed his thread. 

Okay….let’s see how he handles the problem of Saralynn..  Then we can decide if he should be a Mod. 

What would be REALLY GREAT is if I were elected Head Moderator.  After all, even Dennis admits I am delightful.

For $10,000, I may even be able to become charismatic.

It’s very quiet here, but I think I can hear Dennis sputtering.

eucaryote

eucaryote
Joined  20-08-2006

27 June 2015 17:03

So you want to form a group that caters to your own confirmation bias. What else is new. Why not just drop posting on PR and spend more time with FOX news?

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›