‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

A new forum.  What would you propose as operational parameters?

Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  01-07-2012

28 June 2015 17:46

Nhoj Morley - 28 June 2015 12:54 AM

In my many years here, I have observed distinctly different kinds of posters. There are those who favor plain perceptions and those who favor the narrative stuff and some who straddle both worlds. The narrative stuff is not without value even if it is beyond the reading desires of many patrons. Personally, I have found great value in all of it. I enjoy seeing all types of posters strolling the same Funway together. It is my desire to prevent the sort of insularity that some are suggesting. As readers, I think we could be more challenging and less dismissive and try to remember that we all come here to grow and not to calcify. The exceptions don’t post for long.

I like the divisions within the sub-forums.  I would think that would help to preserve the integrity of the message and flow of the thread from getting lost, while maintaining value towards the posters different writing styles.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

29 June 2015 02:55

Writing style is a bit of a misnomer. I meant perceptual preference or capability.

Maybe they’re the same thing. Why would one have a writing style?

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6374
Joined  31-01-2012

29 June 2015 11:21

saralynn - 28 June 2015 02:33 PM
Jb8989 - 28 June 2015 02:18 PM

If I could design a forum: hmmm.

If you have a look at the existing forum guidelines, it is easy to see why many find them unsatisfying. I expressed them narratively, which I tend to do with things in general. Absent are any succinctly worded rules or lists of requirements.

There is a point of view implicit in Dennis’s argument that I will remain a bulwark against. Not because we aren’t pals or because he isn’t a valued member of the community. He is both and I am expressing my core philosophy in opposing (some of) his desires for the forum.

There is perception among some posters that an insistence on brevity, succinctness and clarity all expressed in the grammar of a Western Union telegram earns the prize for Projecting The Most Reason. And hence, being more deserving of a voice in the proceedings. And, you’re all atheists to boot. It should be simple, but I’m going to complicate it.

In my many years here, I have observed distinctly different kinds of posters. There are those who favor plain perceptions and those who favor the narrative stuff and some who straddle both worlds. The narrative stuff is not without value even if it is beyond the reading desires of many patrons. Personally, I have found great value in all of it. I enjoy seeing all types of posters strolling the same Funway together. It is my desire to prevent the sort of insularity that some are suggesting. As readers, I think we could be more challenging and less dismissive and try to remember that we all come here to grow and not to calcify. The exceptions don’t post for long.

If I could name the sub-forums, I would start with The Narrative-Free Zone. It would have a red No symbol over the face of Bill Shakespeare. Here, fans of brevity can march their little cloud bunnies up and down to their hearts’ content. Whoops, that a poster talking. Here, arguments and issues must be presented entirely in plain perceptions and un-narrative text. Listing is encouraged. Waxing, waffling, wafting and wasting time are Right Out.

Next, The House of Un-Plain Perceptions. Here, even the sky isn’t the limit. This sub-forum’s icon would be something unrecognizable because it is too big for the little icon picture. Lyrical or free verse is welcome. Song lyrics, too. Wacky tales like my stuff would belong their. Here, those who enjoy expressing and reading narratively can do so without being told they are not reasonable or not valuable simply because it is narrative.

Followed by The Middle Ground. Open debate and discussion in the usual categories of Politics, Philosophy, Psychology, Science and such.

Then, The Funway. Here, all the lighter stuff that doesn’t always know where to park can be found in one place. This would include audio track links of posters interviewing each other over the phone that are hosted and recorded by skype.

The Floor Show- if a patron wants to sit down, relax and take in a big set-piece, like EYEBALLS or Mr. Grings’ offerings, they would all be here. I would encourage more of such: like a thread dedicated to Mr. GAD’s Butte Faerie. A nicely mannered Bro Mo might even find a place here.

The Arena- Structured and scheduled debates between selected posters and closed to comment for their duration.

Finally, The Ghost Town. Closed and abandon threads along with Special Threads reserved for comments and input from Project Reason Board Members.

I think you have that backwards. You waste a lot of time with how you write so unnecessarily wordy. Nontheless good thoughts.

You are nuts.  Nhoj’s writing is wonderfully unique and I am one of his greatest fans.  My opinion counts more than yours because I was an English major.  Okay….minor.

I think that some of his simplier points could be conveyed more clearly with tighter sentence structures and more “because” sentences. However, I agree that he’s a phenomenal writer and one of the better thinkers I have ever met. I would love to see a forum vision of his brought to life. It might be magical. Also, your opinion might mean more than mine but I’m your father and you’ll listen to me when I speak to you.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6374
Joined  31-01-2012

29 June 2015 11:29

Nhoj Morley - 29 June 2015 12:55 AM

Writing style is a bit of a misnomer. I meant perceptual preference or capability.

Maybe they’re the same thing. Why would one have a writing style?

Our only way of communicating here is through writing it down. We can’t read body language or respect silence on a forum. It’s all about adapting to your audience. That, and specifying what your audiences expectations should be through well described missions and sub sections designed to house a certain type of diolougue (er). A better question is why would music lyrics be designated for only one of your subsections?

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9287
Joined  29-01-2010

29 June 2015 16:58

Jb8989 - 29 June 2015 09:21 AM

If you have a look at the existing forum guidelines, it is easy to see why many find them unsatisfying. I expressed them narratively, which I tend to do with things in general. Absent are any succinctly worded rules or lists of requirements.

There is a point of view implicit in Dennis’s argument that I will remain a bulwark against. Not because we aren’t pals or because he isn’t a valued member of the community. He is both and I am expressing my core philosophy in opposing (some of) his desires for the forum.

There is perception among some posters that an insistence on brevity, succinctness and clarity all expressed in the grammar of a Western Union telegram earns the prize for Projecting The Most Reason. And hence, being more deserving of a voice in the proceedings. And, you’re all atheists to boot. It should be simple, but I’m going to complicate it.

It might, indeed, be magical.  On the other hand, it might simply be batty.

You are not my father, my father is in Heaven and Jesus is seated on his right.  Forever, I guess. 

If I could name the sub-forums, I would start with The Narrative-Free Zone. It would have a red No symbol over the face of Bill Shakespeare. Here, fans of brevity can march their little cloud bunnies up and down to their hearts’ content. Whoops, that a poster talking. Here, arguments and issues must be presented entirely in plain perceptions and un-narrative text. Listing is encouraged. Waxing, waffling, wafting and wasting time are Right Out.

Next, The House of Un-Plain Perceptions. Here, even the sky isn’t the limit. This sub-forum’s icon would be something unrecognizable because it is too big for the little icon picture. Lyrical or free verse is welcome. Song lyrics, too. Wacky tales like my stuff would belong their. Here, those who enjoy expressing and reading narratively can do so without being told they are not reasonable or not valuable simply because it is narrative.

Followed by The Middle Ground. Open debate and discussion in the usual categories of Politics, Philosophy, Psychology, Science and such.

Then, The Funway. Here, all the lighter stuff that doesn’t always know where to park can be found in one place. This would include audio track links of posters interviewing each other over the phone that are hosted and recorded by skype.

The Floor Show- if a patron wants to sit down, relax and take in a big set-piece, like EYEBALLS or Mr. Grings’ offerings, they would all be here. I would encourage more of such: like a thread dedicated to Mr. GAD’s Butte Faerie. A nicely mannered Bro Mo might even find a place here.

The Arena- Structured and scheduled debates between selected posters and closed to comment for their duration.

Finally, The Ghost Town. Closed and abandon threads along with Special Threads reserved for comments and input from Project Reason Board Members.

I think you have that backwards. You waste a lot of time with how you write so unnecessarily wordy. Nontheless good thoughts.

You are nuts.  Nhoj’s writing is wonderfully unique and I am one of his greatest fans.  My opinion counts more than yours because I was an English major.  Okay….minor.

I think that some of his simplier points could be conveyed more clearly with tighter sentence structures and more “because” sentences. However, I agree that he’s a phenomenal writer and one of the better thinkers I have ever met. I would love to see a forum vision of his brought to life. It might be magical. Also, your opinion might mean more than mine but I’m your father and you’ll listen to me when I speak to you.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

29 June 2015 17:01

saralynn - 29 June 2015 02:58 PM
Jb8989 - 29 June 2015 09:21 AM

It might, indeed, be magical.  On the other hand, it might simply be batty.

You are not my father, my father is in Heaven and Jesus is seated on his right.  Forever, I guess. 

Nhoj’s Forum might indeed be magical, but, on the other hand, it might be batty.

You are not my father.  My father is in Heaven and Jesus is sitting to the right of him.  Forever, I guess.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4911
Joined  19-08-2010

29 June 2015 19:27

saralynn - 29 June 2015 03:01 PM

You are not my father.  My father is in Heaven and Jesus is sitting to the right of him.  Forever, I guess.

There is only one god and muhammad is his prophet.

saralynn

saralynn
Joined  29-01-2010

29 June 2015 20:12

MARTIN UK - 29 June 2015 05:27 PM

A Son trumps a prophet any day.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

29 June 2015 21:04

I think it would be worthwhile to have more categories than the current forum.  Basically, that could mean expanding what is now at the bottom of the list.  So instead of a catch-all called “General Discussion,” there could be various categories that inspire ideas, like “Popular Culture,” “Technology,” and various general branches of science. 

I am assuming here that the new forum might not be focused mainly on religion, but on civil discussion of all sorts?

Maybe there could be some sort of guideline for starting a thread like: “State an open-ended question that requires thoughtful response.”  Kind of like Jeopardy, the challenge is to formulate the question—except that there is not one concise answer.

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

29 June 2015 21:21

Hannah2 - 29 June 2015 07:04 PM

I think it would be worthwhile to have more categories than the current forum.  Basically, that could mean expanding what is now at the bottom of the list.  So instead of a catch-all called “General Discussion,” there could be various categories that inspire ideas, like “Popular Culture,” “Technology,” and various general branches of science. 

I am assuming here that the new forum might not be focused mainly on religion, but on civil discussion of all sorts?

Maybe there could be some sort of guideline for starting a thread like: “State an open-ended question that requires thoughtful response.”  Kind of like Jeopardy, the challenge is to formulate the question—except that there is not one concise answer.

I like the idea of stating a question Hannah2 - perhaps as the title? And then the responses would be answering a one part (maybe two part) question.
gregory

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

29 June 2015 21:24

Um, just in case GAD is on vacation or something, i’d like to add the butt fairy into the discussion of who is or isn’t God, and who is or isn’t sitting at his/her/its right hand.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17630
Joined  15-02-2008

30 June 2015 05:13

Gregoryhhh - 29 June 2015 07:24 PM

Um, just in case GAD is on vacation or something, i’d like to add the butt fairy into the discussion of who is or isn’t God, and who is or isn’t sitting at his/her/its right hand.

There is only god and he came to the prophet Muhammad, like all prophets, through his ass. That all past prophets have failed to understand this the Butt Fairy has sent GAD, the final prophet, to show them the error of their asses.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4911
Joined  19-08-2010

30 June 2015 06:07

GAD - 30 June 2015 03:13 AM
Gregoryhhh - 29 June 2015 07:24 PM

There is only god and he came to the prophet Muhammad, like all prophets, through his ass. That all past prophets have failed to understand this the Butt Fairy has sent GAD, the final prophet, to show them the error of their asses.

There is only one Fairy of the Butt and Gad is it’s prophet.  wink

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8637
Joined  20-02-2006

30 June 2015 18:22

MARTIN UK - 30 June 2015 04:07 AM

There is only one Fairy of the Butt and Gad is it’s prophet.  wink

Once a week, Butt Fairy converts sit around a big table eating beans until the Fairy herself begins to speak.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

30 June 2015 20:33

This OP has frayed beyond recognition.  My offer still stands, if needed if and as this forum ends.  But only if there if there is expressed here some cogent ideas as to title, thesis statement, guidelines re conduct, and outline. Not by me as a sole author, by others here and I’ll contribute.  If that does not happen then that’s a reflection on all of us.  I intend to lurk about, but this or any other forum is defined by what most people post, and not any one person.

‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›