‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›

A new forum.  What would you propose as operational parameters?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3929
Joined  20-11-2013

30 June 2015 22:16

Dennis Campbell - 30 June 2015 06:33 PM

This OP has frayed beyond recognition.

As do they all, so it would appear.

My offer still stands, if needed if and as this forum ends.  But only if there if there is expressed here some cogent ideas as to title, thesis statement, guidelines re conduct, and outline. Not by me as a sole author, by others here and I’ll contribute.  If that does not happen then that’s a reflection on all of us.

Again, so it would appear.

I intend to lurk about, but this or any other forum is defined by what most people post, and not any one person.

I’ve been watching both threads of this theme/lament.

Here’s the deal.  My web site has the room, the necessary bandwidth, requirements and hosting package to host a forum.  I can purchase a new domain name (I’m using two of five allowed under my plan) for $14.99/year.  I can even purchase an SSL certificate (greater security) for $99.99/year with a one-time setup fee of $25.  Open source forum software is free.

Dennis’ suggestions as to foundational documents (together with mutually agreed upon amendments/addendums) could easily be worked in.  What is required is a bit of commitment amongst everyone to stop slipping notes to each other behind the teacher’s back and actually discuss how you all would like to be able to interact with each other and acceptable new members to such a forum.

Any interest, or is this just idle chatter?  Dennis seems serious enough.  What about the other children?

Project Reason Forums seem to be slowly crumbling.

[ Edited: 01 July 2015 19:58 by bbearren]

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

30 June 2015 22:29

bbearren - 30 June 2015 08:16 PM

My offer still stands, if needed if and as this forum ends.  But only if there if there is expressed here some cogent ideas as to title, thesis statement, guidelines re conduct, and outline. Not by me as a sole author, by others here and I’ll contribute.  If that does not happen then that’s a reflection on all of us.

I intend to lurk about, but this or any other forum is defined by what most people post, and not any one person.

Here’s the deal.  My web site has the room, the necessary bandwidth, requirements and hosting package to host a forum.  I can purchase a new domain name (I’m using two of five allowed under my plan) for $14.99/year.  I can even purchase an SSL certificate (greater security) for $99.99/year with a one-time setup fee of $25.  Open source forum software is free.

Dennis’ suggestions as to foundational documents (together with mutually agreed upon amendments/addendums) could easily be worked in.  What is required is a bit of commitment amongst everyone to stop slipping notes to each other behind the teacher’s back and actually discuss how you all would like to be able to interact with each other and acceptable new members to such a forum.

Any interest, or is this just idle chatter.  Dennis seems serious enough.  What about the other children?

Agree with this above.  Maybe I’ll just accept his offer and put up a new forum, but, again, would ask/beg for intellectual contributions as to title, thesis statement, conduct parameters, and outline.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

01 July 2015 18:17

Dennis Campbell - 30 June 2015 08:29 PM

Any interest, or is this just idle chatter.  Dennis seems serious enough.  What about the other children?

Agree with this above.  Maybe I’ll just accept his offer and put up a new forum, but, again, would ask/beg for intellectual contributions as to title, thesis statement, conduct parameters, and outline.

See my post #69.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

01 July 2015 18:36

Hannah2 - 29 June 2015 07:04 PM

I think it would be worthwhile to have more categories than the current forum.  Basically, that could mean expanding what is now at the bottom of the list.  So instead of a catch-all called “General Discussion,” there could be various categories that inspire ideas, like “Popular Culture,” “Technology,” and various general branches of science. 

I am assuming here that the new forum might not be focused mainly on religion, but on civil discussion of all sorts?

Maybe there could be some sort of guideline for starting a thread like: “State an open-ended question that requires thoughtful response.”  Kind of like Jeopardy, the challenge is to formulate the question—except that there is not one concise answer.

Agree that “religion” should be a single group, and that perhaps other groupings make sense.  But darned if I can figure out a way to assure a thoughtful response.

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

01 July 2015 18:57

Dennis Campbell, to bb - 30 June 2015 08:29 PM

. . . Maybe I’ll just accept his offer and put up a new forum, . . .

Is that actually bb’s offer—for him to provide financing and “engineering” for you to put up a new forum? Maybe I’m misunderstanding. Bb—please clarify.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

01 July 2015 19:06

Dennis Campbell - 01 July 2015 04:36 PM
Hannah2 - 29 June 2015 07:04 PM

I think it would be worthwhile to have more categories than the current forum.  Basically, that could mean expanding what is now at the bottom of the list.  So instead of a catch-all called “General Discussion,” there could be various categories that inspire ideas, like “Popular Culture,” “Technology,” and various general branches of science. 

I am assuming here that the new forum might not be focused mainly on religion, but on civil discussion of all sorts?

Maybe there could be some sort of guideline for starting a thread like: “State an open-ended question that requires thoughtful response.”  Kind of like Jeopardy, the challenge is to formulate the question—except that there is not one concise answer.

Agree that “religion” should be a single group, and that perhaps other groupings make sense.  But darned if I can figure out a way to assure a thoughtful response.

I don’t know either…don’t think it can be assured!

Maybe on the sign-up page, where people choose their name and avatar, etc., there can be a short “poster’s creed,” with recommendations.  Seems like it could be written in the style that Nhoj writes, that is, entertaining but with meaning.  So the creed could discourage knee-jerk replies, rants and personal attacks, but encourage remembering that there are real people attached to the words on the screen. 

Also, it might be nice to have a “how to” page.  Like “how to make a link to a website” or “how to put someone on ignore.”

I volunteer to help edit start-up pages, not technically, but for readability.

nv

nv
Total Posts:  7998
Joined  29-04-2005

01 July 2015 19:11

Hannah2 - 01 July 2015 05:06 PM

Maybe on the sign-up page, where people choose their name and avatar, etc., there can be a short “poster’s creed,” with recommendations.  Seems like it could be written in the style that Nhoj writes, that is, entertaining but with meaning.  So the creed could discourage knee-jerk replies, rants and personal attacks, but encourage remembering that there are real people attached to the words on the screen.

This would be a forum like what Nhoj has proposed, but different?

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

01 July 2015 20:05

envy me - 01 July 2015 04:57 PM

Is that actually bb’s offer—for him to provide financing and “engineering” for you to put up a new forum? Maybe I’m misunderstanding. Bb—please clarify.

I thought I presented a straightforward proposal.  What part of the following do you not understand?

Any interest, or is this just idle chatter?  Dennis seems serious enough.  What about the other children?

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

01 July 2015 20:19

Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

Funny how often you seem to miss the point.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

01 July 2015 21:09

envy me - 01 July 2015 05:11 PM
Hannah2 - 01 July 2015 05:06 PM

This would be a forum like what Nhoj has proposed, but different?

Nhoj’s categories are somewhat stylistic.  I propose offering categories and letting the posters do whatever style they want.  So maybe there is no need for a category “Narrative-free zone.”  And I favor keeping titles simple and straight-forward, as they are on the current forum.

Anyway, Dennis asked for input, so I’m inputting, FWIW.  Not meaning to argue with anything that was said.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

01 July 2015 21:30

Logistically speaking, a domain name is a priority, and availability of a preferred domain name is an issue.  Selecting a domain name can also lead quite logically into a discussion in regard to mission statement, etc.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

01 July 2015 21:44

No.  BB made an offer, in good faith I assume.  But I’m declining, after some thought.  I can and will provide some financing, and engineering can be bought if needed from a 3rd party.  But I wish for this hypothetical forum to be owned by its members, and administered by a volunteering Board of existing members whose qualifications have been well displayed across years.  That Board,” if it ever evolves, will not include me except, maybe, as a “tie breaker” and maybe not even then.  The finances aren’t an issue, neither is constructing a sophisticated structure.  What is an issue are the members level of maturity and, frankly wisdom. 

I was once for a few months an admin on a new forum here created by a former PR admin.  Great structure, much better than here. Good admins, but it flopped.  But it flopped because the typical member was a teenager whose intellectual depth was “fuck you,” or “my boss is an asshole,” and it went downhill from there.  It might be possible, if offensive to some, but tough shit, to evolve a forum on which a core of members invited new members through their own networks within their disciplines.  Sure, “bots” can be eliminated easily, as can spams, by identifying new prospective members as real people on a probationary period of, say, six posts in reply to exiting threads before they initiate any thread.  The “Board” selected from existing PR members, and in that I’d have (and have listed as examples) a distinct say.  After that, this hypothetical new forum is on it’s own. I’d assume they have the skill and resources to vitalize such a forum.  And, apart from perhaps a few years of financial support, that “Board” would on and control it.  Not me. 

All of this is a useless waste of effort absent some folks here stepping forward.  No step, no loss.  I am arrogant enough to think we can not only create, but populate such a forum without depending on any famous person to do so.  I may well be wrong.

Who would I consider as possible “Board” members?

EN
Burt
SkepticX
Jefe
Skiphot
Bigredful
Jb8989
Martin UK
ASD
Brick
Unsmoked
Icehorse
Nhoj
Jdnrd
Billy Shears

I’ll not list those not on my preference list. 

Dennis

[ Edited: 01 July 2015 22:04 by Dennis Campbell]

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

02 July 2015 00:00

Dennis Campbell - 01 July 2015 07:44 PM

EN
Burt
SkepticX
Jefe
Skiphot
Bigredful
Jb8989
Martin UK
ASD
Brick
Unsmoked
Icehorse
Nhoj
Jdnrd
Billy Shears

I’ll not list those not on my preference list.

Hmm. This list appears to consist entirely of white men. wink This is why I am generally not a fan of exclusionary structures, I pretty much know I’m going to get the shaft (pun intended?) at some point.

I think all the work you guys are doing to restructure if need-be is admirable, although as nothing has changed, perhaps PR is going to remain in some twilight zone status? Can’t say I’m a fan of that, the dynamic seems a bit weird, but if Harris has decided to go in different directions with his career (I think PR was originally intended to be an activist website) but doesn’t want to spoil the fun for those who post here, I guess I understand the rationale.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Joined  20-07-2007

02 July 2015 00:19

Hmm. This list appears to consist entirely of white men. wink This is why I am generally not a fan of exclusionary structures, I pretty much know I’m going to get the shaft (pun intended?) at some point.

Bullshit.  This list shows only those posters who’ve demonstrated skill and knowledge. I’ve zero idea who has what skin color, nor do I care.  Your post here is reverse racism.  Or would you propose that everyone provide a picture, so as to assure “proper balance?”  This screen shows only text, not ethnicity nor gender.  But, by all means, feel free to feel sorry for yourself, yet another victim of an exclusionary structure.

And what contributions have you made to this idea?  The silence is deafening.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

02 July 2015 00:51

namaskar - 01 July 2015 10:00 PM

Hmm. This list appears to consist entirely of white men. wink

Are you sure? If so, how?

Are you just messing with Dennis maybe?

‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >  Last ›