Swampland Flowers

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8683
Joined  20-02-2006

17 July 2015 16:22

“Lin Chi said, “If you can put to rest the mind that frantically seeks from moment to moment, you will be no different from old Shakyamuni Buddha.”  He wasn’t fooling people.” - Zen Master Ta Hui (1089-1163) in a letter to Yen Tzu-ch’ing.

Quoted from the book ‘SWAMPLAND FLOWERS - The Letters and Lectures of Zen Master Ta Hui’  -  translated by J.C. Cleary

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9665
Joined  20-10-2006

18 July 2015 14:20

Is being like the Buddha a good thing or bad thing?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

18 July 2015 15:42

Skipshot - 18 July 2015 12:20 PM

Ta Hui wrote a long letter to Lu Shuin-yuan.  One sentence reads:

“Buddha” is the medicine for sentient beings; once the disease of sentient beings is removed, the medicine has no further use.”

(Ta Hui quoted from the book, ‘SWAMPLAND FLOWERS - The Letters and Lectures of Zen Master Ta Hui’ - translated by J.C. Cleary)

This photo of swampland flowers (and plants) was taken April 23 at my front door next to a beaver pond.  Pictured - scouring rush (Equisetum), bleeding heart (Dicentra), spring beauty (Claytonia - C. virginica).

Image Attachments

Swampland Flowers 1.jpg

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

18 July 2015 22:12

unsmoked - 18 July 2015 01:42 PM

“Buddha” is the medicine for sentient beings; once the disease of sentient beings is removed, the medicine has no further use.”

(Ta Hui quoted from the book, ‘SWAMPLAND FLOWERS - The Letters and Lectures of Zen Master Ta Hui’ - translated by J.C. Cleary)

This photo of swampland flowers (and plants) was taken April 23 at my front door next to a beaver pond.  Pictured - scouring rush (Equisetum), bleeding heart (Dicentra), spring beauty (Claytonia - C. virginica).

Thanks for the latin unsmoked, as a scientist, i luv latin, i luv it too as an altar boy with latin in the early 60’s. ANYWAY The quote you wrote “Buddha” is the medicine for sentient beings; once the disease of sentient beings is removed, the medicine has no further use.”

is cool - anything special you like from alan watt or baba dam rass?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

27 July 2015 18:33

Gregoryhhh - 18 July 2015 08:12 PM
unsmoked - 18 July 2015 01:42 PM

Thanks for the latin unsmoked, as a scientist, i luv latin, i luv it too as an altar boy with latin in the early 60’s. ANYWAY The quote you wrote “Buddha” is the medicine for sentient beings; once the disease of sentient beings is removed, the medicine has no further use.”

is cool - anything special you like from alan watt or baba dam rass?

Alan Watt’s book, ‘The Way of Zen’ might have been my introduction to Zen.  I don’t think I’ve read anything by Ram Dass, but his book title, ‘Be Here Now’, and the title of
Shunryu Suzuki’s book, ‘Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind’ says it all.  From day one, supposedly practicing Zen, we rush right past beginner’s mind, wanting to know something.  I suspect this makes a Zen master’s job easy.  As long as the student knows something he gets zapped back to the meditation bench.  Imagine going in for a test not knowing anything.

Suzuki begins, “In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few.”

re Latin - Another name for scouring rush (in photo above) is horsetail, hence the name Equisetum.