< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

Ashley Madison hacked data released

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5616
Joined  05-04-2006

19 August 2015 22:23

I absolutely despised the site, but I despise these hackers even more. They have no idea what sort of situation the users are in, or what sort of damage they are going to unleash on the families of the people they’ve outed.

ON THE OTHER HAND…

KathleenBrugger

KathleenBrugger
Total Posts:  1511
Joined  01-07-2013

19 August 2015 23:19

Yeah I read that some of the accounts have .mil and .gov extensions and this could mean these people lose their military pensions, get fired, etc., even if they never actually used the site. It’ll just be guilt by association.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5616
Joined  05-04-2006

19 August 2015 23:29

KathleenBrugger - 19 August 2015 09:19 PM

Yeah I read that some of the accounts have .mil and .gov extensions and this could mean these people lose their military pensions, get fired, etc., even if they never actually used the site. It’ll just be guilt by association.

Exactly. People’s lives could be ruined simply because they explored the site out of prurient curiosity, or even just loneliness.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7481
Joined  15-02-2007

20 August 2015 00:14

There’s a simmering ugly underside of the internet that occasionally takes the form of life-ruining self-righteous outrage that can’t really be aimed or directed.  We can never really know what ‘outrage’ is going to trigger a life-ruining mob-state targeted at some random victim who had the wrong picture, different sense of humor, or even poor online phrasing.  Because this site already triggers strong emotional responses, it’s a good bet the the released info will catalyze some sort of lash-out by the mob.

*Note that I don’t condone affairs or untruths about same, but I think that there’s a real danger of internet-flash-mob doing some real damage to people who may only appear guilty.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

20 August 2015 00:41

“Guilty” or not it is not the hackers or our business what consenting adults do on and off the site.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

20 August 2015 00:45

The Price of Shame

The term mob justice is almost inherently an oxymoron—makes for a less than entirely healthy society.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22030
Joined  11-03-2007

20 August 2015 00:58

Dennis Campbell - 19 August 2015 02:47 PM
Skipshot - 19 August 2015 02:36 PM

I give the hackers credit for keeping their promise to release the names of the people who signed up at the adultery web site Ashley Madison if the web site wasn’t taken down. 

“Avid Life Media has failed to take down Ashley Madison and Established Men,” Impact Team wrote in a statement Tuesday. “We have explained the fraud, deceit, and stupidity of ALM and their members. Now everyone gets to see their data. ... Keep in mind the site is a scam with thousands of fake female profiles. See ashley madison [sic] fake profile lawsuit; 90-95% of actual users are male. Chances are your man signed up on the world’s biggest affair site, but never had one. He just tried to. If that distinction matters.”

The statement continued, “Find yourself in here? It was ALM that failed you and lied to you. Prosecute them and claim damages. Then move on with your life. Learn your lesson and make amends. Embarrassing now, but you’ll get over it.”

Is anyone here worried?

I used EN’s name, so I’m safe.

Thanks.  I never had so much interaction.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7481
Joined  15-02-2007

20 August 2015 01:13

SkepticX - 19 August 2015 10:45 PM

The Price of Shame

The term mob justice is almost inherently an oxymoron—makes for a less than entirely healthy society.

Thanks for the link!

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8230
Joined  22-02-2014

20 August 2015 02:28

Several years back, my wife got doxxed, for hacker “LOLS”.

It was quite scary for a while, cost us a lot of time and anguish - white hats fill a useful role, black hats are just criminals IMO.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10273
Joined  20-10-2006

20 August 2015 04:09

SkepticX - 19 August 2015 10:45 PM

The Price of Shame

Thanks for timely speech from a very credible source who clearly described how shame is a powerful motivator and social weapon.  We have much to learn about ourselves from our new amplification tool of information and communication.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16192
Joined  17-12-2006

20 August 2015 05:03

Dennis Campbell - 19 August 2015 02:47 PM
Skipshot - 19 August 2015 02:36 PM

I give the hackers credit for keeping their promise to release the names of the people who signed up at the adultery web site Ashley Madison if the web site wasn’t taken down. 

“Avid Life Media has failed to take down Ashley Madison and Established Men,” Impact Team wrote in a statement Tuesday. “We have explained the fraud, deceit, and stupidity of ALM and their members. Now everyone gets to see their data. ... Keep in mind the site is a scam with thousands of fake female profiles. See ashley madison [sic] fake profile lawsuit; 90-95% of actual users are male. Chances are your man signed up on the world’s biggest affair site, but never had one. He just tried to. If that distinction matters.”

The statement continued, “Find yourself in here? It was ALM that failed you and lied to you. Prosecute them and claim damages. Then move on with your life. Learn your lesson and make amends. Embarrassing now, but you’ll get over it.”

Is anyone here worried?

I used EN’s name, so I’m safe.

Me too. For every one of my 15,000 posts.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

20 August 2015 05:04

GAD - 19 August 2015 03:19 PM

I consider the hackers to be human garbage terrorists. Creating (except for unwanted babies) is hard, destruction is easy and these pieces of shit can’t do anything but destroy. But they are such whining pathetic fucking cowards to call themselves terrorists so they try and claim that they did it for god or to save the children, or morality.

Once in a while we are more-or-less in agreement.

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

20 August 2015 05:05

SkepticX - 19 August 2015 04:07 PM
Dennis Campbell - 19 August 2015 03:40 PM

Whew!

I’m sure glad now I was using yours!

Somehow I knew someone would do that, likely EN.  Once again, stabbed in the back!

Nah ... you’re safe.

Nothing ever happened ... I used your picture too.

You should have used the dog, that would have gotten you multiple hits.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

20 August 2015 05:13

burt - 20 August 2015 03:04 AM

I consider the hackers to be human garbage terrorists. Creating (except for unwanted babies) is hard, destruction is easy and these pieces of shit can’t do anything but destroy. But they are such whining pathetic fucking cowards to call themselves terrorists so they try and claim that they did it for god or to save the children, or morality.

That just shows that once in a while you are a reasonable person smile

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

20 August 2015 15:40

GAD - 20 August 2015 03:13 AM
burt - 20 August 2015 03:04 AM

That just shows that once in a while you are a reasonable person smile

Venn:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
|                                                                                                                                                  | ___|__|  <—- GAD is reasonable
|                                                                                                                                                        |
|                                                                                                                                                        |
|                                        BURT IS REASONABLE                                                                                       |
|______________________________________________________________________________________________|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  wink

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›