GAD
Total Posts:  18127
Joined  15-02-2008

20 August 2015 15:55

burt - 20 August 2015 01:40 PM
GAD - 20 August 2015 03:13 AM
burt - 20 August 2015 03:04 AM
GAD - 19 August 2015 03:19 PM

I consider the hackers to be human garbage terrorists. Creating (except for unwanted babies) is hard, destruction is easy and these pieces of shit can’t do anything but destroy. But they are such whining pathetic fucking cowards to call themselves terrorists so they try and claim that they did it for god or to save the children, or morality.

Once in a while we are more-or-less in agreement.

That just shows that once in a while you are a reasonable person smile

Venn:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
|                                                                                                                                                  | ___|__|  <—- GAD is reasonable
|                                                                                                                                                        |
|                                                                                                                                                        |
|                                        BURT IS REASONABLE                                                                                       |
|______________________________________________________________________________________________|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  wink

LOL

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

20 August 2015 16:00

burt - 20 August 2015 01:40 PM
GAD - 20 August 2015 03:13 AM
burt - 20 August 2015 03:04 AM
GAD - 19 August 2015 03:19 PM

I consider the hackers to be human garbage terrorists. Creating (except for unwanted babies) is hard, destruction is easy and these pieces of shit can’t do anything but destroy. But they are such whining pathetic fucking cowards to call themselves terrorists so they try and claim that they did it for god or to save the children, or morality.

Once in a while we are more-or-less in agreement.

That just shows that once in a while you are a reasonable person smile

Venn:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
|                                                                                                                                                  | ___|__|  <—- GAD is reasonable
|                                        BURT IS REASONABLE                                                                                       |
|______________________________________________________________________________________________|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  wink

I always knew GAD was to the right of reason - (i’m not sure what burt was saying)

Gregoryhhh

Gregoryhhh
Total Posts:  2008
Joined  31-08-2014

20 August 2015 16:24

Besides which, may we please agree to define “terrorist”? I need the definition of terrorist to include regardless of whatever else we may be able to agree to define it as, is that it is “a political activity,”  and would use as examples, the Irish, the Israelis, and of course the least of the Arabs - the Palestinians. All Master Terrorists. (but not the DC area sniper/s - or the Colorado theater killer) - um, probably not the tree spikers either - i think that rather than calling them terrorists, i’d call them dastardly tree spikers (with or preferably w/o the “dasterdly).

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

21 August 2015 00:40

I think some of the debate over this story has been interesting. It seems to have started with shock over the initial story, then some internet anger-mobbing at how the cheaters all deserved it, then some talk about what the usual Tweeters With Pitchforks crowd says about our strangely sexual liberal yet puritan values in this country.

Honestly, at first I was pretty offended by all the hyper-self-righteousness coming from people condemning all cheaters as the scum of the earth. There are a few people in my life who I care about and respect deeply who have, well, cheated on their significant others. There are also some people in my life who have cheated on their so’s who I tend to think of as self-absorbed jerks, but the storyline I assign each group is no doubt subjective. For everyone I care about, it’s generally “The relationship was really almost over anyways, or at least they thought it was at the time, their partner was a psycho, they didn’t mean for it to happen but they just fell in love with someone else and really needed some compassion…”. Everyone who cheated on someone I love gets the Entitled Asshole storyline. But again, I realize there is no doubt a bit of subjectivity at play there.

Initially, the furious moralizing and finger-pointing kind of pissed me off in this case, because it struck me as a wee bit narcissistic in its own right. How dare there be a possibility that someone could screw me over, how dare they be beyond my control? If you’re in a monogamous relationship and fidelity is important to you then some upset is understandable there, of course, but given the state of the world we live in, a part of me thought “Christ on a cracker, get over yourselves. We do live in a world where huge numbers of people live in desperate poverty, are victims of unspeakable violence, are sold into slavery and so on, you realize. But the thought of someone stepping out on you, personally, is pretty much the worst thing that could ever happen?”.

Then I remembered that it’s pretty common for people to get really angry - often irrationally angry - when there is some sort of crisis in their life. Sometimes in a good way - many nonprofits have no doubt been started by people channeling their anger productively. But usually, unless the crisis involves a crime, there is no clear-cut agent to be angry with - illness, tragedy, financial loss, and so on, are often just “things that happen”. The threat of losing your stability and parent to your children because they choose that, I guess, strikes people as someone, well, choosing to visit that kind of chaos on them.

Concluded this was further proof that I should engage in more meditation practice because when push comes to shove, you can never control what happens in life, scary as that is. And that, quite frankly, the less time we spend freaking out over what might happen to us, the more time we have to think about other people suffering in the world, in places where the outrage seems more justified, proportionately. But I do think the reaction to this story - and the amount of attention its gotten, compared to other stories - is a sort of interesting philosophical case study.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 August 2015 02:26

What is pissing me off just as much as the lowly terrorist fucks is all the lowly fucks taking advantage of it for a news story or their 15mins. All day long today story after story after story being posted by people rushing to get the illegal private data the terrorist released so they can see who did what and report it. The terrorists have won, not because of what they did but because so many people are just as lowly as they are.

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

21 August 2015 12:26

GAD - 21 August 2015 12:26 AM

What is pissing me off just as much as the lowly terrorist fucks is all the lowly fucks taking advantage of it for a news story or their 15mins. All day long today story after story after story being posted by people rushing to get the illegal private data the terrorist released so they can see who did what and report it. The terrorists have won, not because of what they did but because so many people are just as lowly as they are.

People love moral policing. It’s one of those things I just don’t get, like an interest in football or the ins and outs of reality tv drama. I don’t claim any moral superiority on that point, it’s mostly because:

1) I generally like to keep peace and harmony no matter what, so I’m not big on calling people out for anything, major or minor.

2) Policing people’s sexuality adds yet another item to the already long list of Dull Things You Are Supposed To Remember About People You Hardly Know, like their hobbies, interests, names, and whether or not they started life as a different gender. This is what happens when you live in a world run by extraverts who are interested in such things. For me this only adds an awkward layer at social gatherings, where now I’m apparently required to go “Oh, hi you’re uh… John… Jack… Joe, Joe! Hi Joe. How is your, um, avid interest in - sailing? Growing tomatoes? Oh, yeah racquetball, well, close enough. Oh, also, you cheated on your wife, you cad! (Throws drink in face.) Ooooooo, no, sorry that was John, wasn’t it - yeah John, see that’s who I thought you were at first and… I… uh… well here’s a napkin. I’m just gonna go… over here… now. Have a great time with those tomatoes!”.

I try to see things holistically - there’s no doubt a happy medium where there is true value in social policing some of the time to some reasonable degree, but again, it interests me about as much as sporting events, so I tend to fall far to the “live and let live” end of the spectrum for all but the most harmful acts. Especially for something like this, where the spouses in question are arguably being hurt as much if not more than the person who possibly cheated on them, being publicly humiliated about what should be a private, personal matter.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7329
Joined  15-02-2007

21 August 2015 13:17

Niclynn - 21 August 2015 10:26 AM

People love moral policing. It’s one of those things I just don’t get,

Self-righteous outrage produces a surge of dopamine just like any other strong emotional response.

So the world could be full of Morality-Junkies, just like its full of adrenaline-junkies who ride roller coasters, and fear-junkies who watch a lot of horror movies.
In the case of self-rightesousness, however, it may be much easier to find social reinforcement for one’s habit.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16153
Joined  17-12-2006

21 August 2015 14:38

1) I generally like to keep peace and harmony no matter what, so I’m not big on calling people out for anything, major or minor.

2) Policing people’s sexuality adds yet another item to the already long list of Dull Things You Are Supposed To Remember About People You Hardly Know, like their hobbies, interests, names, and whether or not they started life as a different gender. This is what happens when you live in a world run by extraverts who are interested in such things. For me this only adds an awkward layer at social gatherings, where now I’m apparently required to go “Oh, hi you’re uh… John… Jack… Joe, Joe! Hi Joe. How is your, um, avid interest in - sailing? Growing tomatoes? Oh, yeah racquetball, well, close enough. Oh, also, you cheated on your wife, you cad! (Throws drink in face.) Ooooooo, no, sorry that was John, wasn’t it - yeah John, see that’s who I thought you were at first and… I… uh… well here’s a napkin. I’m just gonna go… over here… now. Have a great time with those tomatoes!”.

Have you been taking writing lessons from Saralynn? I’m inventing a new word: Slynnish. As in, you are using a very slynnish style here. Or, “.............” she said, slynnishly.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8170
Joined  22-02-2014

21 August 2015 15:04

Gossip is another opiate for the masses.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 August 2015 15:44

Jefe - 21 August 2015 11:17 AM

Self-righteous outrage produces a surge of dopamine just like any other strong emotional response.

So the world could be full of Morality-Junkies, just like its full of adrenaline-junkies who ride roller coasters, and fear-junkies who watch a lot of horror movies.
In the case of self-rightesousness, however, it may be much easier to find social reinforcement for one’s habit.

I’m sure there is plenty of self-righteous outrage but all the news stories seems more about the thrill of the hunt for sport, fame and profit.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 August 2015 15:46

icehorse - 21 August 2015 01:04 PM

Gossip is another opiate for the masses.

The masses are just bag whore junkies!

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

21 August 2015 16:24

GAD - 21 August 2015 01:44 PM

I’m sure there is plenty of self-righteous outrage but all the news stories seems more about the thrill of the hunt for sport, fame and profit.

As in “outing subscribers” for fun, fame and profit?  wink

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 August 2015 16:28

Jefe - 21 August 2015 02:24 PM

Yes but where is all the Ceil-the-Lion outrage over their lives being destroyed.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

21 August 2015 16:34

GAD - 21 August 2015 02:28 PM

Yes but where is all the Ceil-the-Lion outrage over their lives being destroyed.

If they lure a subscriber’s child out of the yard, kill the child and take trophy photos, you can count on it.

It’ll also work if it’s the “subscriber” whose identity was stolen and used on the site, all the more if that “subscriber” has Down Syndrome or some other kind of thing—the whole enhanced/inherent innocence schtick.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

21 August 2015 16:35

GAD - 21 August 2015 02:28 PM
Jefe - 21 August 2015 02:24 PM

The mob goes where the mob wills. 

Not that outrage is necessarily a binary state, but it seems to be more socially acceptable to get on board the wrecking-ball about this kind of thing and cecil the lion, than it is about, say, starving or undernourished children, fresh water, etc…

It’s kinda like the wandering mayfly attention of the mob only has room for so much rage, and can only focus on the immediate.

Edit: It would be interesting to see what would happen if we could harness the mob-outrage about a less localized issue.  I wonder what would happen if the shock-value of clean drinking water trended as much as cecil’s death or the AM outing?

[ Edited: 21 August 2015 16:39 by Jefe]

< 1 2 3 4 5 >