Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3503
Joined  21-10-2016

13 August 2018 17:15

EN - 13 August 2018 04:29 PM
Jan_CAN - 13 August 2018 09:24 AM
EN - 13 August 2018 08:49 AM

We rented a car in Buffalo, NY.  Flew to Buffalo from Austin, TX (one plane change in Chicago).

I’m sure renting a car was the smart move – such a busy schedule might have been difficult working around bus/train schedules.  Also, if you have to stop and ask for directions in Quebec, perhaps they’ll be less likely to expect you to speak French with the New York plates.  But then again, Justin might have taught you some key French phrases, eh?

Mais bien sur!

Bien joué mon ami

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

14 August 2018 11:12

I have concluded, after considerable thought, that Old Quebec City is the most beautiful city in the world.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

16 August 2018 10:38

Greetings from Montreal, the land of poutine.  I had mine with smoked beef last night.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

16 August 2018 14:40

EN - 16 August 2018 10:38 AM

Greetings from Montreal, the land of poutine.  I had mine with smoked beef last night.

Did you like poutine?  (I don’t care for it myself.)  Did you wash it down with a good Canadian beer?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

16 August 2018 17:52

Jan_CAN - 16 August 2018 02:40 PM
EN - 16 August 2018 10:38 AM

Did you like poutine?  (I don’t care for it myself.)  Did you wash it down with a good Canadian beer?

I like poutine, but can’t eat that many fries.  I drank a local red ale with it.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2018 11:50

EN, are you in Toronto now ... or en route or back home in Texas?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

18 August 2018 13:41

Jan_CAN - 18 August 2018 11:50 AM

Flying home now.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2018 13:48

EN - 18 August 2018 01:41 PM

Flying home now.

You must be tired after your busy itinerary; I hope you had a good time.  Maybe you’ll fill us in on any highlights later.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 August 2018 10:45

Jan_CAN - 18 August 2018 01:48 PM
EN - 18 August 2018 01:41 PM

Flying home now.

You must be tired after your busy itinerary; I hope you had a good time.  Maybe you’ll fill us in on any highlights later.

Nice trip - we like Canada.  We visited 5 cities - I had previously been only to one (Toronto), and my wife had never been to any of them.  Here are my general assessments:

Niagra Falls - the Canadian (Horseshoe) Falls are really spectacular. You can see the mist rising 10 miles away from the city.  You can get right to the lip of the falls by simply walking on a paved path - you will still get wet, of course.  The rest of the city is a giant, crowded carnival, and everything is overpriced because it is considered a “resort”.  The taxes on some food items double the cost.  Advice - see the falls, then get out of town.

Ottawa - Our next stop was the Canadian capital.  Nice city, comparable to Austin in size (about 1,000,000).  Parliament Hill is impressive. The Byward Market (named after John By, founder of the City) is fun. We ate there and I had my first Beaver Tail - we chose maple icing - which only added 500 calories, I’m sure.  Tasty!

Quebec City - This was the highlight of the trip.  The old city is the only actual walled city in North America.  It’s like France, but with nice people. They all speak English as well as French, at least where the people go. Maybe the most beautiful large city overall that I’ve seen.  Great restaurants. Spent 2 nights there, but I could have stayed a month.

Montreal - Nice larger city, 1.6 million.  Spent 2 days here.  The restaurants/bars in Old Montreal are great (had poutine here with smoked meat), and lots of good street entertainment on Jacques Cartier Plaza (named after the European discoverer of Canada).  Also walked up the stairs to Mount Royal each morning to get a great view of the city. 

Toronto - only one night here, and it was raining.  But we went up the CN Tower, into the clouds.  Impressive town - very big - about the size of Chicago. Supposed to be very livable, but we were only there a short time.

The biggest hassle - the freeway traffic. Seems like Canada needs more lanes between its larger cities, and some bypasses.  Took much longer to get 300 miles here than it would have in Texas.

The best part - besides Quebec City itself, the people are nice.  Had no real problems interacting.

Visit Quebec City - needs to be on your bucket list.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

20 August 2018 13:14

EN - 20 August 2018 10:45 AM

Nice trip - we like Canada.  We visited 5 cities - I had previously been only to one (Toronto), and my wife had never been to any of them.  Here are my general assessments:

Niagra Falls - the Canadian (Horseshoe) Falls are really spectacular. You can see the mist rising 10 miles away from the city.  You can get right to the lip of the falls by simply walking on a paved path - you will still get wet, of course.  The rest of the city is a giant, crowded carnival, and everything is overpriced because it is considered a “resort”.  The taxes on some food items double the cost.  Advice - see the falls, then get out of town.

Ottawa - Our next stop was the Canadian capital.  Nice city, comparable to Austin in size (about 1,000,000).  Parliament Hill is impressive. The Byward Market (named after John By, founder of the City) is fun. We ate there and I had my first Beaver Tail - we chose maple icing - which only added 500 calories, I’m sure.  Tasty!

Quebec City - This was the highlight of the trip.  The old city is the only actual walled city in North America.  It’s like France, but with nice people. They all speak English as well as French, at least where the people go. Maybe the most beautiful large city overall that I’ve seen.  Great restaurants. Spent 2 nights there, but I could have stayed a month.

Montreal - Nice larger city, 1.6 million.  Spent 2 days here.  The restaurants/bars in Old Montreal are great (had poutine here with smoked meat), and lots of good street entertainment on Jacques Cartier Plaza (named after the European discoverer of Canada).  Also walked up the stairs to Mount Royal each morning to get a great view of the city. 

Toronto - only one night here, and it was raining.  But we went up the CN Tower, into the clouds.  Impressive town - very big - about the size of Chicago. Supposed to be very livable, but we were only there a short time.

The biggest hassle - the freeway traffic. Seems like Canada needs more lanes between its larger cities, and some bypasses.  Took much longer to get 300 miles here than it would have in Texas.

The best part - besides Quebec City itself, the people are nice.  Had no real problems interacting.

Visit Quebec City - needs to be on your bucket list.

Thanks for the highlights about your trip.  I’m very glad to hear that you had a good time, that you like Canada and met nice people.

Quebec City is a favourite place for many and never seems to be a disappointment, so it’s good you included it in your trip.

Yes, American freeways and highways can be superior; Canadians often comment about this too.  I think this is likely because Canada is a very large country with a low population, and therefore less tax money available for such infrastructure.

I imagine it’s nice to be home now though.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 August 2018 13:49

Jan_CAN - 20 August 2018 01:14 PM

Yes, American freeways and highways can be superior; Canadians often comment about this too.  I think this is likely because Canada is a very large country with a low population, and therefore less tax money available for such infrastructure.

I imagine it’s nice to be home now though.

I hope you understand that I don’t mean the freeways were bad, just needed an extra lane. But I understand the money issue.

It’s always good to get home, mainly for the familiar bed. But I always feel enriched when I see some place new. Canada has never failed to be pleasant.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

30 August 2018 18:11

Heading to South Padre Island for the Labor Day weekend.  Isla Grand resort on the beach.  Taking two grandkids.  Unofficial end of summer fling.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 January 2019 13:53

This July we are doing a 2 week cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow.  To prepare, I’m reading War and Peace (1400 pages), studying Russian, and drinking vodka.  Just applied for my visa.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

20 January 2019 15:12

EN - 20 January 2019 01:53 PM

This July we are doing a 2 week cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow.  To prepare, I’m reading War and Peace (1400 pages), studying Russian, and drinking vodka.  Just applied for my visa.

Cool.  Is there a reason for this particular trip, or is it just a desire to see new and different places?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 January 2019 15:18

Jan_CAN - 20 January 2019 03:12 PM
EN - 20 January 2019 01:53 PM

Cool.  Is there a reason for this particular trip, or is it just a desire to see new and different places?

Trying to see the world.

‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›