< 1 2

Answering to the 21st Century Exodus

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  26-03-2013

13 September 2015 20:29

I’m hard pressed to come up with a country North Korea has invaded in the past sixty two years.  On the other hand the United States…

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

13 September 2015 21:05

LadyJane - 13 September 2015 06:29 PM

I’m hard pressed to come up with a country North Korea has invaded in the past sixty two years.  On the other hand the United States…

Does not work; poor try.  My point is/was that pursuing a military solution isn’t any exclusive trait of the U.S., rather to the contrary.  Sure, we’ve done so.  But we do not typically call for the extermination of differing cultures who do not directly threaten us.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3322
Joined  26-03-2013

13 September 2015 21:28

When the US invaded Iraq they fired the Iraqi military and started from scratch.  Many disgruntled ex-officers began insurgent groups one of which is ISIL.  They used Syria as a proving ground for their tactics after the Arab Spring had occupied that region.  A region that was destabilized after the initial invasion of Iraq.  These soldiers were Sunnis combating Shiites in Iraq.  Once Iran and Iraq had the Shiite connection in common any action by the US became less viable.  What do you do when your enemies make friends?  Iraq became a breeding ground for Sunni soldiers.  Now the US is arguably helping Assad by bombing ISIL.  To think bombing them in Iraq has no effect on the Assad regime would be to think D-day had no effect on the Russian front.  I expect Canada will absorb another influx of refugees just like we did with the Vietnamese “Boat People” in the late seventies to the tune of sixty thousand.  Giver take.  What if we’d turned them away for fear of accepting a few communists?

Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  01-07-2012

13 September 2015 21:50

Zuhdhi Jasser, a moderate Muslim for reform who had parents that fled from Syria in the 60’s.  He has family members that have remained but describe Syria as turning into a horrific wasteland.  The people there want to come to the West, because the West still represents a beacon for freedom. 
As a reformist, that believes in security first for the country he says that there are ways to filter for the Jihadists and potential terrorists coming in with the refugees. 

The same with the WW2 Jewish refugees and Vietnamese refugees seeking solace I think we should embrace them.  Show them America is still a beacon for freedom.

I tend to listen to him with his experience and current efforts for religious reform.

[ Edited: 13 September 2015 22:02 by Bugs Bunny]

< 1 2