The great awareness of being as is

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8817
Joined  20-02-2006

07 November 2015 15:21

About a thousand years ago, Zen master Fayan said, “The teaching of the mind ground is the basis of Zen study.  The mind ground is the great awareness of being as is.”

(Fayan quoted from the book, ‘ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom’  -  translated and edited by Thomas Cleary)

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

08 November 2015 03:48

unsmoked - 07 November 2015 02:21 PM

About a thousand years ago, Zen master Fayan said, “The teaching of the mind ground is the basis of Zen study.  The mind ground is the great awareness of being as is.”

(Fayan quoted from the book, ‘ZEN ESSENCE - The Science of Freedom’  -  translated and edited by Thomas Cleary)

You know, today is Aaron Swartz Day, which has made me think about the phenomenon of suicide. Most people crave life and fear death, so what happens in the case of suicide? It seems to me that suicide is an aversion to life - due to extremely unpleasant external circumstances or personal temperament or both - and a corresponding attraction to its opposite, death.

Nietzsche criticized Buddhism for being life-denying and nihilistic, a mistake that I think springs from our assumption that all things must be governed by these forces of attraction and aversion. Zen does not advocate attraction or aversion to the pattern traditionally called life. What is left after that is sort of the mystery left open for everyone to explore.