PR Forum Trauma Thread

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  5972
Joined  22-02-2005

09 December 2015 17:54

Yes, this is jarring. I’m quite jarred.

There are many problems out of the gate here. Threads are missing… posters are missing… a login box is missing.
Hopefully, any immediate flaws can be sorted out.

As posters notice issues, please mention them here.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4857
Joined  19-08-2010

09 December 2015 21:53

Nhoj Morley - 09 December 2015 05:54 PM

Yes, this is jarring. I’m quite jarred.

There are many problems out of the gate here. Threads are missing… posters are missing… a login box is missing.
Hopefully, any immediate flaws can be sorted out.

As posters notice issues, please mention them here.

Very odd indeed. Do I have an Avatar?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

09 December 2015 22:17

If you don’t see your posts or avatar, please be patient. Somethings are not visible yet. Some screen names have been altered. The Active Member Roster is not showing all log-ins nor is the user count. My EYEBALL thread was gone but it turned up. This will take some time to work out.

I’m told that everything from PRF is backed up.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

10 December 2015 19:52

Please tune in to a Special Emergency Podcast for all the latest information.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4857
Joined  19-08-2010

11 December 2015 00:41

Here are a few smileys for you Adrienne… grin  cheese  confused

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

11 December 2015 22:12

We are in better shape today than yesterday. Issues seem less global, more individualized.

PM functions seem to be restored. Many names and avatars are back in place. If there is something you’re not seeing, or just not when logged-in, or vice-versa, try flushing your temp files including cookies. A fresh reload may reveal many improvements.

There is no visible theme selection button. Many of us would like to go back to seeing Developer.

As before at PR, the active member roster is not showing who is logged-in. A few do appear, mostly newer SH patrons, but we look like a ghost town. Not so!

Threads (like mine) that were started before certain repairs were made likely won’t be repaired. The respond buttons are missing for some threads… try deleting those cookies first.

And to all you posters doing perfectly normal posting, thanks!

[ Edited: 11 December 2015 22:17 by Nhoj Morley]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

14 December 2015 20:50

It’s been nearly a week since the upheaval. On the whole, the recovery has been remarkable. We appreciate the patience of our patrons in this matter.

There is still a list of issues to be tackled.

We are missing a Theme Select pull-down at the bottom of the page. Many of us prefer developer over the stark white background. Maybe it works for pads but it is kind of glaring on a home pc.

The Active Member Roster at the bottom shows the uber-admins, Sam Harris, me (or just you) and a smattering of newer SH forum patrons. The function is sorely missed. It was like getting to peek into the saloon window to see who’s around before entering. It also gives the mistaken impression that this is a ghost town.

I had a problem with post preview leading to an error page saying something about not passing a security check. It has cleared up for me but others have mentioned it.

There are reports of various missing buttons like PM, Reply and any email alert controls. Some profile pages are blank.

At this point, it is harder to tell what is a global problem and which are individual quirks. If anyone is still having problems or just noticed something further, here’s the plan…

Put together an email or PM that includes a description of the problem, your log-in info (name and password) and email address associated with your account. Send them to Adrienne Travis (Hop Studios). If sending such a report is the problem, you can email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I will relay it.

The Jar is still a mess but it is up to BroMo to contact the webmaster and get his posts back. That could as well be under his SH screen name Joe Mello.

Lastly, I have always gotten (even before the switch) a pop-up box at the bottom of every SHF page that says, “Only secure contact is displayed. Show all content?” Nothing appears to change if I answer yes. I have never seen this message or this type of pop-up box from any other internet page. Just this site. Has anyone else ever seen this message?

Adrienne Travis (Hop Studios)

Total Posts:  16
Joined  07-12-2015

15 December 2015 15:40

Hey, folks, i think we have all of the actual ISSUES sorted out, except for a few members who still have merge issues (those problems ONLY affect users who had accounts on BOTH forums before the merge, and only a small minority of those! Merging users, in specific, isn’t ever going to be an exact science.)

There are still some styling issues happening for folks, and we are aware of those. Some of it is that the Sam Harris forums were designed with a different userbase in mind smile  So you folks may have to make some compromises. But we ARE going to put a theme switcher back in somewhere, never fear.

I would like to reiterate, too, that NO DATA HAS BEEN LOST, period. Even if you’ve got posts missing, or credited to the wrong person, or whatever - we have COMPLETE backups of everything from PR, and absolutely any data issues can be corrected if you let us know about them.

Thanks for your patience during what has been a huge, incredibly complex merge. There are hundreds of thousands of topics and posts and members, between the two forums, and merging that much data together is ... tricky, inevitably.

Please continue to PM me with any issues you’re having. If it’s about posts that are missing or assigned to the wrong member, please make sure to include both your PR username AND your SH username in the PM, as well as your email address (or email addresses if you were using different ones between forums).

Total Posts:  16
Joined  07-12-2015

15 December 2015 15:58

ALSO: We will not be re-implementing a dropdown list at the bottom of the page, on the default forum theme; but I have added that functionality into your Preferences page. Go here: https://www.samharris.org/forum/mem/edit_preferences and you can choose a theme from the dropdown to change it.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

17 December 2015 09:59

Okay, I get it. No one can post on this thread. I think I picked an admin only sub-section thingie.

I am seeing screen names on the roster today. I hope it’s working for everyone.

The roster… developer… it’s getting to look a lot like Christmas.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

05 January 2016 06:35

It seems now that we have recovered from one trauma, we are faced with another. Every post since Christmas Eve has vanished from the site.

I’ve had no word about why or what is to be done. Random vanishing is sure to discourage posting. The Ubers have been informed. Please bear with us.

Travis Smith (Hop Studios)

Travis Smith (Hop Studios)
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-07-2006

05 January 2016 19:26

We have looked into this. We migrated from one Web host to another in order to have faster performance and less down time, and the forum posts regressed because of that process. The server migration was handled over the holidays by another set of developers, who shall remain nameless, if not blameless.

I assure all you forum folks that it wasn’t due to a bug or a repeating event, and we do not plan any additional migration.

Sorry for the trouble.

TTFN
Travis