Total Posts:  14871
Joined  17-12-2006

08 January 2016 08:07
EN

EN
Total Posts:  20096
Joined  11-03-2007

08 January 2016 10:04

Yeah, man, I remember seeing that at the Vulcan Gas Company in Austin in 1970, man! Far out!  Or was it Armadillo World Headquarters?????

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6458
Joined  15-05-2009

08 January 2016 12:35

Very awesome.  I guess that’s what became of creativity when depicting representational art was prohibited.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  889
Joined  01-11-2014

09 January 2016 19:10

Wow!

Truly beautiful art and architecture; thanks for the link Burt.

A few thoughts:

M.C. Escher was greatly influenced by the tile work seen in these mosques. He was fascinated by the repeating and intertwined patterns and designs. They inspired him in his own art which is quite obvious when you look at these images. Even some of the fish-eye lens shots in the mosque interiors have that Escheresque, multi-dimentionsal look to them.

My second thought reflects something that I heard concerning American Indian petroglyphs. I once toured Little Petroglyph canyon which is located on the China Lake Naval Weapons Center, and has the largest concentration of petroglyphs in the western hemisphere. No one knows for sure what the petroglyphs denote, but one theory is that generations of shamans would travel to the canyon, go into some sort of trance state, and depict the hallucinations that may have appeared to them. Some theorize that the hallucinations may have something to do with structure of the neural patterns firing within the architecture of the brain. In other words, the petroglyphs are a sort of abstract representation of neural pathways inside the brain, which might become visible in an altered state of consciousness.

I don’t know if this is true or not. The mosque images do remind me of the intricate patterning that one would imagine our brains neural firings might look like, however.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6458
Joined  15-05-2009

10 January 2016 08:39

Sarcastic Fringehead - 09 January 2016 07:10 PM

Wow!

A few thoughts:

M.C. Escher was greatly influenced by the tile work seen in these mosques. He was fascinated by the repeating and intertwined patterns and designs. They inspired him in his own art which is quite obvious when you look at these images. Even some of the fish-eye lens shots in the mosque interiors have that Escheresque, multi-dimentionsal look to them.

My second thought reflects something that I heard concerning American Indian petroglyphs. I once toured Little Petroglyph canyon which is located on the China Lake Naval Weapons Center, and has the largest concentration of petroglyphs in the western hemisphere. No one knows for sure what the petroglyphs denote, but one theory is that generations of shamans would travel to the canyon, go into some sort of trance state, and depict the hallucinations that may have appeared to them. Some theorize that the hallucinations may have something to do with structure of the neural patterns firing within the architecture of the brain. In other words, the petroglyphs are a sort of abstract representation of neural pathways inside the brain, which might become visible in an altered state of consciousness.

I don’t know if this is true or not. The mosque images do remind me of the intricate patterning that one would imagine our brains neural firings might look like, however.

The fact that these artistic patterns are similar to drug-induced kaleidoscopic hallucinations is interesting.  Maybe the artists were inspired by visions brought on through fasting, deep meditation, or mind-altering substances.  Any Persian art historians out there?

burt

burt
Total Posts:  14871
Joined  17-12-2006

10 January 2016 12:43

hannahfriend - 10 January 2016 08:39 AM
Sarcastic Fringehead - 09 January 2016 07:10 PM

Wow!

A few thoughts:

The fact that these artistic patterns are similar to drug-induced kaleidoscopic hallucinations is interesting.  Maybe the artists were inspired by visions brought on through fasting, deep meditation, or mind-altering substances.  Any Persian art historians out there?

Apparently there is at least one Sufi order in Iran that has used psychedelic drugs as a tool.

KathleenBrugger

KathleenBrugger
Total Posts:  1511
Joined  01-07-2013

10 January 2016 17:40

Thanks burt, those images are mind-blowing. And SF, they are like MC Escher come to life, absolutely.

What would happen if a non-Muslim walked inside one of those mosques to admire the beauty?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6268
Joined  22-02-2014

10 January 2016 18:45

Spectacular, thank you!!

(There is NO DOUBT in my mind that those guys tripped, no doubt.)

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2380
Joined  19-01-2015

22 January 2016 02:25

interesting nugget: according to widespread interpretation of the Koran it is forbidden to make pictures of Allah and all things which contain a spark of him, which means all animals (including humans) but not plants.

Which is why there are beautiful artworks of plants in Islamic culture….