Dabiq (and is Big Brother watching?)

LauraG

LauraG
Total Posts:  245
Joined  17-05-2016

20 May 2016 16:04

I can’t remember exactly how I stumbled upon Dabiq (the glossy propaganda magazine of ISIS) while Internet searching. That is not entirely important I suppose - what I found is. I discovered one can view & read entire issues online (google Dabiq). It is terrifying to say the least. Do you want to know the mindset of ISIS? Read Dabiq.

When I discovered Dabiq, I told several people about it because I was so shell-shocked and needed to talk about it. More than a few told me not to search “Dabiq” because it could “tip off Big Brother” and that I would be “watched” or “monitored” as a result.  The latter is of little concern to me quite frankly. I am far more concerned with what ISIS is “officially” saying. Thoughts?

[ Edited: 20 May 2016 16:11 by LauraG]

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19789
Joined  20-07-2007

20 May 2016 16:59

Will look.  Did so.  Lots of glossy text and prints.  Must’ve borrowed from the RCC.  Recommend a scan.  We’re not facing complete idiots at least as far as propaganda is concerned.

[ Edited: 20 May 2016 17:10 by Dennis Campbell]

LauraG

LauraG
Joined  17-05-2016

21 May 2016 06:50

I believe Dabiq is important reading for anyone who is currently engaged with the topic of Islamic terrorism. According to wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabiq_(magazine) the first issue was published in 2014. Ten years earlier, Sam Harris bravely discussed & warned of the dangers of Islam in The End of Faith. ISIS, the worst incarnation of jihadist islamism to date, did not yet exist.

In my view, there could be no better illustration of many of Sam’s points in The End of Faith than Dabiq. In one recent issue, there was a lengthly article which in sum ridiculed the notion of Islam as a religion of peace. As they claim - of course it’s not, stupid! Read our holy books! Know our history! We are a religion of the sword! They back this up with example after example, holy book quote after quote.

This is the “official” voice of ISIS - they could not be more clear in their intentions.

[ Edited: 21 May 2016 07:33 by LauraG]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6262
Joined  22-02-2014

21 May 2016 11:26

I assume that the folks on this forum think we *ought* to do what we can to ensure the long term success of mankind. Speaking for myself, it’s hard to remember that that basic assumption isn’t shared across the world, and specifically it’s often NOT shared by religious fundamentalists.

With that thought in mind, it’s not unreasonable to think that ISIS is hoping to bring on the end of days. If that’s the case, then it might actually be pissing them off that the world is so resistant to seeing Islam’s true nature. As you said, “Islam is and always has been, a religion of the sword”. But that basic fact is largely denied by the liberal west.

LauraG

LauraG
Joined  17-05-2016

21 May 2016 13:47

icehorse - 21 May 2016 11:26 AM

With that thought in mind, it’s not unreasonable to think that ISIS is hoping to bring on the end of days. If that’s the case, then it might actually be pissing them off that the world is so resistant to seeing Islam’s true nature. As you said, “Islam is and always has been, a religion of the sword”. But that basic fact is largely denied by the liberal west.

Two things:
1. ISIS is most definitely hoping to bring the end of days - they have stated that CLEARLY in their rag Dabiq. If you haven’t already read it, I highly recommend The Atlantic article by Graeme Wood entitled:  What ISIS Really Wants http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/ ...to give you a taste, the intro states:
The Islamic State is no mere collection of psychopaths. It is a religious group with carefully considered beliefs, among them that it is a key agent of the coming apocalypse. Here’s what that means for its strategy—and for how to stop it.

Furthermore, the ISIS propaganda video entitled “Bring It On” is clearly meant to taunt the West into engaging in war with them. Of all I’ve read and seen about ISIS, I find their propaganda videos perhaps the most disturbing. Another is “No Respite.” I’m not going to link these – they are very easy to find. The message of such utter archaic barbarism delivered via a slick, Hollywood style video production is simply sickening, bizarre and jarring. It is to my sensibilities anyway. I wonder if they strike others in the same way.

2. *I* did not use the words that Islam is a religion “of the sword” (although I believe that at its core, Islam is indeed *not* a religion of peace). ISIS itself uses the sword description and openly mocks those who say Islam is a religion of peace - especially fellow (moderate) Muslims who in their book are just as bad as the western crusaders/infidels. The really crazy thing to me is that their intentions are made so crystal clear in their propaganda screeds & videos - they are hiding *nothing* in terms of their motives & ideology. They are of course not disclosing their specific next targets & attacks however - they want to keep these under wraps for obvious reasons.

Ya gotta admit that these psychos have some serious balls - and unfortunately - the worst possible kind. I find their thought process akin in some ways to the mindset of a Hannibal Lechter type character - sadistic, conniving and without remorse of any kind.

[ Edited: 21 May 2016 20:44 by LauraG]

LauraG

LauraG
Joined  17-05-2016

21 May 2016 15:24

I changed my mind about linking the Bring it On video by ISIS - since I first saw it, it seems to be more difficult to find in its entirety (one can find snippets elsewhere). Here is the full version I saw back in December when it seemed to be widely available via youtube - perhaps many of the links were taken down since then. http://mobile.wnd.com/2015/11/isis-taunts-america-bring-it-on/

The level of f*cked up-ness of this has few (if any) rivals in my view.

[ Edited: 22 May 2016 07:23 by LauraG]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6262
Joined  22-02-2014

22 May 2016 08:29

It’s a chilling video - from many angles. One of which is that its attacks on the west are - to some degree - on point. This lets them set up a false choice that’s going to appear valid to many viewers - argh.

Once again, better education would reduce the effectiveness of this sort of propaganda. (And of course all propaganda.)

LauraG

LauraG
Joined  17-05-2016

23 May 2016 17:00

icehorse - 22 May 2016 08:29 AM

It’s a chilling video - from many angles. One of which is that its attacks on the west are - to some degree - on point. This lets them set up a false choice that’s going to appear valid to many viewers - argh.

I agree that the degree to which some of the video “Bring It On” is bitingly “on point,” makes it very effective propaganda-wise. I haven’t attempted to fact check the U.S. Military suicide facts, however (among other things). They could be exaggerating that - I don’t know. If even some percentage of their numbers are true, though, it is a discouraging picture.

These ISIS folk (at least those in charge and/or those who produce their propaganda) are sophisticated. No one should believe otherwise.

Back to Sam Harris and various things he has written and said in various youtube clips…

For example, I’ve heard him mention that hard-core islamists do such lovely things as throw gays off the top of tall buildings, stone people, set people on fire, and so on. One need look no farther than Dabiq to see actual photos of these very things. ISIS clearly loves this. They gloat. They are proud.

Usually, I try my best to avoid most things blood and gore related, but I’ve looked at these photos, because I felt that it was important. Now that I have, I am perplexed as to how I should “absorb” these images (and more broadly knowledge of ISIS) in my consciousness. Yes, they are horrific, yet how do I as a single US citizen, react to this? I feel completely powerless. *insert sad face*