Is Judaism to blame for this instance of mass murder, terror and ethnic cleansing as the Chief Rabbi implies? (link updated)

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  383
Joined  03-08-2014

01 June 2016 09:09

http://mondoweiss.net/2016/05/rabbi-judaism-blame/

That is, rather than the particular Jews who founded Israel, Zionist Jews, or zionism, as I think is the position of the author of the article.

[ Edited: 13 June 2016 09:49 by lynmc]

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3295
Joined  26-01-2010

02 June 2016 00:28

The link didn’t work for me.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

29 June 2016 22:03

It’s a fair point that Sam, Hitch and others have made many times. The lunatic fringe of the major religions generally hold closer to the founding documents than the benign majority.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  383
Joined  03-08-2014

07 July 2016 17:22

Brick Bungalow - 29 June 2016 10:03 PM

It’s a fair point that Sam, Hitch and others have made many times. The lunatic fringe of the major religions generally hold closer to the founding documents than the benign majority.

I doubt the chief rabbi can be considered the “lunatic fringe”

Pattertwig

Pattertwig
Total Posts:  121
Joined  23-02-2015

03 August 2016 14:07

I strongly disagree.  The lunatic fringe of Judaism is several jumps away from it’s founding document, the Torah.  Consider this article and about 3/4 of the nimrods commenting on that page: http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/new_york/exclusive_banned_mohel_still_apparently_performing_metzitzah#comment-202133

There’s nothing in the Torah that says that a circumcision has to be called a “bris,” or be performed by a “moyel” who sucks the baby’s penis afterwards.  And yet to read the clowns who comment on that page, you’d think that sucking bloody infant penises was the whole heart and soul of Judaism.

“A mohel who was ordered to stop the circumcision practice of metzitzah b’peh in 2007 [after the mohel gave three kids herpes, killing one) by the New York State Department of Health is apparently still engaging in the controversial practice of “oral suction,””

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

18 September 2016 18:03

Pattertwig - 03 August 2016 02:07 PM

I strongly disagree.  The lunatic fringe of Judaism is several jumps away from it’s founding document, the Torah.  Consider this article and about 3/4 of the nimrods commenting on that page: http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/new_york/exclusive_banned_mohel_still_apparently_performing_metzitzah#comment-202133

There’s nothing in the Torah that says that a circumcision has to be called a “bris,” or be performed by a “moyel” who sucks the baby’s penis afterwards.  And yet to read the clowns who comment on that page, you’d think that sucking bloody infant penises was the whole heart and soul of Judaism.

“A mohel who was ordered to stop the circumcision practice of metzitzah b’peh in 2007 [after the mohel gave three kids herpes, killing one) by the New York State Department of Health is apparently still engaging in the controversial practice of “oral suction,””

Oh I agree. religions add all sorts of extra content to their founding scriptures. Moderate religions add benign content. The lunatic fringe adds psychotic and toxic content. Murder and suicide and explicitly forbidden by the Koran. You need some pretty aggressive subtext to interpret it otherwise.

That said, I will maintain my claim that, on balance the more extreme versions tend to be more literate about their own scriptures and more literal in their interpretation. This says nothing about what might be added after the fact. What I should have added for clarity perhaps is that there really isn’t a genuine article and never was. Religion is an exercise in the marriage of mythological literature with contemporary political expediencies.