Defamation of Religion, Rushdie, and upping the ante

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6677
Joined  22-02-2014

19 June 2016 10:17

We have the OIC sponsored UN 16/18 “Defamation of Religion”, House Resolution 569 concerning hate speech which is oddly specific about protecting Islam, and now in Feb. 2016, Iranian media is adding $600,000 to the 27-year-old reward for killing Salman Rushdie. Who as we all recall is guilty of writing a novel.

Islam vs. Free Speech

But don’t worry, it’s not as if secularism is being assaulted.

Hypersoup

Hypersoup
Total Posts:  688
Joined  24-01-2013

20 June 2016 01:56

I am personally in favour of free speech. The issue with secularism is that its often backed by atheist free thinkers, and they claim “atheism is an absence of belief, and in iteself deosn’t entail anything”. So in terms of being open and exposed to a critique, they have completely left the scene. I am in favour of human rights, but for instance we have the “right to security” and yet the authorities seem to favour peoples right to get drunk, take drugs, and rap on abot murder and organised crime - above my right to walk the streets safely of a weekend evening.

Western rappers are free to argue “f*ck the police” etc, and we all know that certain parts of LA are a no go for law enforcement. So much for human rights in the West.

I ma not gloating this is a sad thing.

Then again a did recenly hear some “belmarsh terrorst rap” coming from a passing vehicle - so, whats the difference? Human rights are under threat form crime, and yet its hardly an issue with crime and intimidation being glamourised in the pop media. Ok, its not a threat to “national security” but so what - its a threat to human rights to right to a spirit of brotherhood peace and security.

It might be good if they actually pro actively taught human rights in school, and how to live then in terms of rights and duties, and thus tried to instill values in the youth, but thats somehow “politically incorrect” in all probablitity. “fascism”.  The faith school in the UK are probably more likely to promote ethical character and a sense of responsibility, and yet theyre attacked by humanists and secularists.

In the UK we have :

“Police errors and inaction were partly responsible for driving a vulnerable single mother to kill herself and her severely disabled daughter after years of abuse from youths, an inquest found today.

The jury heard Pilkington contacted police on no fewer than 33 occasions in seven years in which youths throwing stones and shouting abuse had kept her a virtual prisoner in her home in Barwell, near Hinckley in Leicestershire. Asked how police were responsible, the jury said: “Calls were not linked or prioritised” “

Its one thing to believe and chit chat on about human rights, and another to actually have them.

You guys and gals seem to be in ivory towers, idealists secluded and in effect unconcerned about average people - who are probably not part of that “letz increase IQ and popluate the universe” long term plans anyway. Well you have empathy and compassion etc, and fine sounding sentiments, but you’re in schism from practical life of normal people.

In thre UK again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6945814.stm

“Parents concerned about knife crime are getting “slash-proof” school uniforms for their children.

A company is offering to modify blazers and jumpers by lining them with knife resistand Kevlar.”

personally I think the West might be lagging behind the Musim world in certain respects, it would just take scientific humility to accept it. For instance I *heard* (noted: heresay evidence)  that in Saudi arabia there are armed soldiers on the street and you can star gaze at night without fear.

But, its not too wise to always argue, rhetoric, nightmare, suggest, conflict etc. So lets play with tthe sunlight and head for the candle store, sit cross legged and aum out…

[ Edited: 20 June 2016 02:02 by Hypersoup]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2465
Joined  19-01-2015

20 June 2016 04:21

We can moan about restrictions of free speech in the West, but we are kidding ourselves: real restriction is when you face prison, torture and execution for saying the wrong thing.

And no, we are not going to reduce oppression abroad by suffering hate speech at home. And we are in no danger of becoming a dictatorship just because we ask for a more civil public discourse.

Hypersoup

Hypersoup
Total Posts:  688
Joined  24-01-2013

20 June 2016 04:30

Secularism is under attack. On multiple fronts. Big deal, this is nothing new.  Do you expect to just claim “we have the answer” and all forces suddenly become friendly?  Maybe you should read the psalms?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+70

But its ok, new age sewage, old age sewage.

Think allegoriallly: Where in Samsara is such a speech?

You want to build alliances not isolate yourselves. The web with many connections is stronger.

The fact that business week (or whatever) is full of sun tzu and the “art of war” ought to have you questioning. People are watching you know.

As Bette Midler said “From a distance”.

koran 6.10 And already were messengers ridiculed before you, but those who mocked them were enveloped by that which they used to ridicule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEulyxBCA6c

[ Edited: 20 June 2016 05:38 by Hypersoup]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6677
Joined  22-02-2014

20 June 2016 07:40

hyper -

Since it was my OP - I’m under no illusions that secular societies have it all figured out - far from it. That said, our best hope to work our way out of this mess depends on free speech.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9118
Joined  20-10-2006

20 June 2016 08:13

WTF, Hypersoup?  Are blaming atheists and secularism for gangster rap, dangerous neighborhoods, and ineffective police?  Please don’t confuse free speech with criminal activity.