‹ First  < 105 106 107 108 109 >  Last ›

The Klein Bottle

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1279
Joined  01-11-2014

11 December 2018 19:37

Thank you Jan. Thank you GAD.

Now I am at peace with my holiday Scrooge-ness.

[ Edited: 12 December 2018 15:03 by Cheshire Cat]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3308
Joined  21-10-2016

16 December 2018 21:42

After watching the 11 o’clock news featuring more of the usual Trump goings-on, I watched a documentary about life in Henry VIII’s court.  Couldn’t help but note some similarities between Henry and Donald:

- Orangeness.
- Considered to be somewhat attractive when young, became repulsive in later years.
- Expects his inner circle to give him unwavering loyalty; failure results in loss of head or position.
- Resulting in a court of paranoid ass-kissers.
- Incapable of fidelity or loyalty.
- Women are objects whose function is to fill his needs, disposable commodities.
- Petty, childish and ill-tempered.
- Entitled upbringing.  Greedy.
- Religion used and manipulated for his benefit.
- The welfare of his people of no real concern, except in as far as they can provide for his needs and desires.

But there are differences of course.  Henry was at least interesting, even after several centuries.  Everyone will want to forget Donald as soon as possible.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

18 December 2018 16:50

Since Trump wants his border wall so badly, he should take a page from his televangelist con men friends and start a telethon to raise the 5 billion dollars to build it.

Trump should have a televised revival meeting on the Fox News channel featuring Jerry Falwell. They could tell his base that “God wants the Wall at all costs,” and that God wants to keep those “poorer and dirtier immigrants” out of God’s chosen white nation. Falwell can ask Trump’s cult followers to sell their homes if they have to, because you really don’t want to let God down — there could be serious trouble for them in the afterlife if they do.

EN
Total Posts:  21490
Joined  11-03-2007

19 December 2018 00:07

Cheshire Cat - 18 December 2018 04:50 PM

Since Trump wants his border wall so badly, he should take a page from his televangelist con men friends and start a telethon to raise the 5 billion dollars to build it.

Trump should have a televised revival meeting on the Fox News channel featuring Jerry Falwell. They could tell his base that “God wants the Wall at all costs,” and that God wants to keep those “poorer and dirtier immigrants” out of God’s chosen white nation. Falwell can ask Trump’s cult followers to sell their homes if they have to, because you really don’t want to let God down — there could be serious trouble for them in the afterlife if they do.

Falwell would have to come back from the dead, but that could be simulated.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

19 December 2018 09:58

EN - 19 December 2018 12:07 AM

Falwell would have to come back from the dead, but that could be simulated.

Oops.

Substitute Pat Robertson, then. A living, breathing, human being would be more effective than a CGI Jerry Falwell.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8585
Joined  20-02-2006

19 December 2018 11:07

This could work.  Since 5 billion dollars has never been raised on a telethon before, an event like this would have to be presented as a matter of life or death for Trump.  I suggest that he always be on camera and that he promise to stay on a strict hunger-strike, like Gandhi, until all the money is raised.  By day 5, still $1.5 billion short, he is lying on a cot and speaking in a whisper.  On day 6, with Melania cradling his head and helping him sip some water, the Koch Brothers, the NRA, Exxon Mobile and the Crown Prince send in the balance. 

While the golden confetti falls, Trump has a pizza and the band plays ‘Hail to the Chief’.  The Wall Street Journal reports that stocks in the Robbins Company have suddenly tripled in value.  http://www.therobbinscompany.com/products/tunnel-boring-machines/

[ Edited: 20 December 2018 11:02 by unsmoked]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

19 December 2018 15:13

unsmoked - 19 December 2018 11:07 AM

This could work.  Since 5 billion dollars has never been raised on a telethon before, an event like this would have to be presented as a matter of life or death for Trump.  I suggest that he always be on camera and that he promise to stay on a strict hunger-strike, like Gandhi, until all the money is raised.  By day 5, still $1.5 billion short, he is lying on a cot and speaking in a whisper.  On day 6, with Melania cradling his head and helping him sip some water, the Koch Brothers, the NRA, Exxon Mobile and the Crown Prince send in the balance. 

While the golden confetti falls, Trump has a pizza and the band is plays ‘Hail to the Chief’.  The Wall Street Journal reports that stocks in the Robbins Company have suddenly tripled in value.  http://www.therobbinscompany.com/products/tunnel-boring-machines/

That’s a lovely scenario, Unsmoked.

Yes indeed, Trump as America’s Gandhi.

Almost brings a tear to one’s eyes.

I wonder if Vladimir would contribute too? They are such good friends.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

23 December 2018 07:16

If Helium is the second simplest and second most abundant element in the universe, and if aliens exist and speak somewhat similar to the way we do, then what is the likelihood they sound like Mickey Mouse?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8585
Joined  20-02-2006

23 December 2018 12:09

LadyJane - 23 December 2018 07:16 AM

If Helium is the second simplest and second most abundant element in the universe, and if aliens exist and speak somewhat similar to the way we do, then what is the likelihood they sound like Mickey Mouse?

Mickey Mouse in Spanish.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDuIovlDTGU

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

23 December 2018 12:25

unsmoked - 23 December 2018 12:09 PM
LadyJane - 23 December 2018 07:16 AM

Mickey Mouse in Spanish.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDuIovlDTGU

Ha ha!  Awesome.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15809
Joined  17-12-2006

25 December 2018 15:14

Speakpigeon - 25 December 2018 12:35 PM
burt - 25 December 2018 09:59 AM
Speakpigeon - 23 December 2018 11:39 AM

Thank you to discuss the following argument, its two premises and its validity.

Premise 1 - For all we know, somebody’s conscious mind may be the state of a group of neurons in this person’s brain;
Premise 2 - What somebody does is determined by the state of a group of neurons in this person’s brain;
Conclusion - Therefore, for all we know, what somebody does may be determined by the conscious mind of this person.
EB

Thank you to restrict yourself to facts and logic.
EB

This is phrased in syllogistic form, but it is not a syllogism. Bracketing out the equivocal “for all we know” and the “may” in the presumptive major premise, it can be rephrased as:
1. A group of neurons in a persons brain determines that persons conscious mind.
2. Behavioral actions of a person are determined by a group of neurons in the brain.
Therefore: the conscious mind determines behavioral actions.
This has the formal structure:
A—> B (group of neurons determines conscious mind)
A—> C (group of neurons determines behavioral actions)
Therefore B—> C
The fallacy of this is clear if one draws a Venn diagram. There is no guarantee that it’s the same group of neurons, and even if that assumption is included, as in:
1. A group of neurons A in a persons brain determines their conscious mind.
2. That same group of neurons A determines a persons behavioral actions.
There is still no syllogistic implication.
Regarding Brick’s question about the use of the word “determines,” this could be taken as logical identity in which case:
1. B = A
2. C = A
Therefore B = C
Which remains a fallacy of the form
The sunset is red
A rose is red
Therefore the sunset is a rose.
Poetic, but not logic.

You post reminds me of the Stalinist trials of opponents in the Soviet Union not so long ago. You start by rephrasing my argument out of recognition and then sentence me to the Goulag on the basis that the rephrased argument shows I am a capitalist stooge. This is just gross and insulting to the intelligence of all posters here.
In effect, all that you’ve shown is that your own argument is a fallacy. And I agree.
If you were serious, you would try to criticise my argument as I posted it.
I would agree it would be a much more difficult and laborious task.
EB

OKAY, YOU ARROGANT ASSHOLE, NOTE THAT WHAT I DID WAS CLARIFY YOUR ILL STATED PREMISES TO THE POINT WHERE THEY COULD ACTUALLY BE SHOWN TO FAIL. YOU WANTED TO KNOW IF THE ARGUMENTS WERE CORRECT OF NOT. I DEMONSTRATED THAT THEY WERE NOT. NOW YOU ARE JUST BEING A JERK. I’LL LEAVE IT UP TO OTHER POSTERS HERE TO DECIDE WHO IS INSULTING THEIR INTELLIGENCE. I THINK THAT EVERYBODY ELSE HERE HAS COTTONED ONTO YOUR FORM OF SELF-PRESENTATION AND REALIZED THAT IT’S JUST ANOTHER TROLL TRYING TO JERK PEOPLES CHAINS, NOT ANYBODY WHO IS ACTUALLY INTERESTED IN SERIOUS INTERACTION.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7618
Joined  22-02-2014

25 December 2018 16:39

I’m with you Burt.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  31-10-2015

25 December 2018 16:49

icehorse - 25 December 2018 04:39 PM

I’m with you Burt.

Yes. Please leave Burt alone, SP.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

09 January 2019 09:45

It seems to me that puzzles are welcome challenges for the brain.  That is to say it feels like it satiates some desire to distract the intrusive thoughts and fill in some blanks that fit fer a change.  We so rarely get to do it so neatly.  I guess that’s why we invite it.  To entertain the noodle’s need to arrange.  The chance to focus on something while letting other things blur ever so slightly.  The brain seems to like it until it gets stuck and begins shifting until you look away for a moment to blink a few times before reapproaching.  Like almost wiping out on a patch of ice and then finding yer balance.  And the shift turns more into a glide.

Plus, it kills time.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3308
Joined  21-10-2016

11 January 2019 07:18

United States Coast Guard helps Canadian dog get back home
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/canadian-dog-rescued-by-us-coast-guard-1.4973623

This route of illegal entry into the U.S. appears to be high risk, but at least it had a happy ending.

‹ First  < 105 106 107 108 109 >  Last ›