‹ First  < 107 108 109 110 111 >  Last ›

The Klein Bottle

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

30 January 2019 11:50

Is Let Me Finish the name of Chris Christie’s new book or what he can be overheard saying when the all-you-can-eat buffet is closing?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9560
Joined  20-10-2006

02 February 2019 11:53

A mouse has been spotted prowling the kitchen by everyone in my house except our two cats.  We named the mouse Crumbs.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1279
Joined  01-11-2014

02 February 2019 12:39

Skipshot - 02 February 2019 11:53 AM

A mouse has been spotted prowling the kitchen by everyone in my house except our two cats.  We named the mouse Crumbs.

Named after R. Crumb no doubt.

Perhaps you need to call Fritz the Cat to take care of your mouse?

Image Attachments

Fritz-the-Cat_3.jpg

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3301
Joined  21-10-2016

02 February 2019 13:03

So, with two cats failing to meet their feline responsibilities, you are left with a moral dilemma.  Made worse by naming the little fella.  So what’s it to be for Crumbs?

I remember that you once advised me, “My rule is, creatures outside are good, and uninvited creatures inside are bad.  If I can get it out alive then out it goes, but if it puts up a fight when given an out, then death is open as an option.”  Perhaps try a live trap first?  (Although, if you recall, in the end we gave up and turned into big meanies.)

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

02 February 2019 17:58

Jan_CAN - 02 February 2019 01:03 PM

So, with two cats failing to meet their feline responsibilities, you are left with a moral dilemma.  Made worse by naming the little fella.  So what’s it to be for Crumbs?

My 10-year-old came up with the name Crumbs, because as we were discussing the mouse I gently admonished him, and included his equally messy brother, that their messy eating is feeding the mouse, and I’ve been too busy with a new role in life to clean up after them as I previously did.  I thought it would be cute to personalize the mouse by naming it, and that was the inspiration for the name, and we liked the name.

We decided to give the cats a chance, and we have not seen Crumbs for a couple days, nor is there evidence s/he is dead or alive, but the cats have been spending more time inside since it has been raining, so perhaps they did their job of catching it or running it out of the house.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 February 2019 08:40

Skipshot - 02 February 2019 05:58 PM
Jan_CAN - 02 February 2019 01:03 PM

My 10-year-old came up with the name Crumbs, because as we were discussing the mouse I gently admonished him, and included his equally messy brother, that their messy eating is feeding the mouse, and I’ve been too busy with a new role in life to clean up after them as I previously did.  I thought it would be cute to personalize the mouse by naming it, and that was the inspiration for the name, and we liked the name.

We decided to give the cats a chance, and we have not seen Crumbs for a couple days, nor is there evidence s/he is dead or alive, but the cats have been spending more time inside since it has been raining, so perhaps they did their job of catching it or running it out of the house.

‘Crumbs’ is certainly a cute name, especially suitable given by adorably messy brothers.

We never used any kind of traps when we had cats; certainly wouldn’t want to use the snapping kind for fear of injury to kitty paws.  I suspect if the cats had caught Crumbs, there’d likely have been evidence left.  Perhaps s/he was a scout and went home telling the family to try elsewhere for a non-cat house.

We have learned that some mice are very smart, although others not so much.  We’ve had mice get in only to meet a quick end.  But we also had one that managed to evade three cats hunting in a team, by scurrying under furniture and waiting patiently for the cats to lose patience; after a day of skirmishes, this particularly big mouse disappeared never to be seen again.  At a later post-cat period, we had one mouse that managed to escape a live trap by licking the cracker clean of peanut butter and pushing it under the spring mechanism meant to lock him in, making a clean getaway with a full tummy.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8582
Joined  20-02-2006

04 February 2019 11:06

Crumbs is a great name for a mouse.  My cat died 5 years ago and I haven’t had a mouse since.  This is mystifying.  Frogs have disappeared from these beaver ponds, but mice from the woods?  No.  They’re out there, just not coming in.  My cat’s reputation?  Maybe he became a legend.  (hold cursor over photo)

Image Attachments

Pomme_sees_a_grass_blade_moving-3.JPG

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

07 February 2019 11:05

unsmoked - 04 February 2019 11:06 AM

Crumbs is a great name for a mouse.  My cat died 5 years ago and I haven’t had a mouse since.  This is mystifying.  Frogs have disappeared from these beaver ponds, but mice from the woods?  No.  They’re out there, just not coming in.  My cat’s reputation?  Maybe he became a legend.  (hold cursor over photo)

Is the kitty in the photo the same one in your avatar?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8582
Joined  20-02-2006

07 February 2019 11:36

Cheshire Cat - 07 February 2019 11:05 AM
unsmoked - 04 February 2019 11:06 AM

Is the kitty in the photo the same one in your avatar?

The same.  His hobby was to prove that a cat has more than 9 lives.  Finally I lost count.  Like, once he came in with a gaping wound in his head, pretending that it was just a scratch.  I think some owlets had fledged and he was stalking them among the ferns, not realizing that mom . . .

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

08 February 2019 15:05

Yeah but come on man, it’s dumb as fuck (A). (B) it’s racist as shit. And (C) you need to get out more. Intelligence in the G sense isn’t all it’s cracked up to be when you consider we’re tangential to apes.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

08 February 2019 17:35

Jb8989 - 08 February 2019 03:05 PM

Yeah but come on man, it’s dumb as fuck (A). (B) it’s racist as shit. And (C) you need to get out more. Intelligence in the G sense isn’t all it’s cracked up to be when you consider we’re tangential to apes.

Busted!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

09 February 2019 06:14

Skipshot - 08 February 2019 05:35 PM
Jb8989 - 08 February 2019 03:05 PM

Busted!

Lol pretty much, but not quite. I put this here. I used the Klein as my subconscious spill over. Because though I value free speech, I don’t like defending racism…unless it’s toward people not as handsome as I am. I verbally abuse ugly people in public.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

09 February 2019 17:16

The forum’s new racist-in-residence is like the energizer bunny – he just keeps on going ... and going ... and going.  (He even envisions a possible future not unlike Charles Manson’s of helter skelter.)  I wonder if there is a gene or allele or whatever that predisposes someone to being unable to see the full humanity in all of their fellow humans.

White supremacists have been evolving, but not for the better; they have not softened their views but have changed their tactics.  Now, instead of using the ‘n’ word and the like, they hide the same philosophies as ever behind nicer manners and distorted scientific and social/political theories.  But these are just as ugly as they always were and they shouldn’t be given any leeway.  Bullshit is bullshit no matter how well it’s expressed.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

09 February 2019 17:29

Jan, I don’t know if you noticed it or not, but Nhoj put the post in question under the “Hall of Holy Grails” heading.

Good call, I’d say.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6336
Joined  22-02-2005

09 February 2019 17:33

An admin did it, but I was napping.

‹ First  < 107 108 109 110 111 >  Last ›