18 August 2019 11:49

Jan_CAN - 17 August 2019 08:30 AM
proximacentauri - 17 August 2019 07:20 AM
Jan_CAN - 16 August 2019 06:29 PM

The man baby Trump must be sad indeed
For his latest desire is for Greenland to cede
This real estate deal is bound to fail
Cuz the people have said they are not for sale

Our country is $22 Trillion in debt and climbing, yet our president wants to spend money buying up other countries. If it was really “America First”, the orange emperor would be focusing on paying down the national debt and shoring up our nation’s ailing infrastructure. But this would not be in character for a megalomaniacal ass of a president.

Unfortunately, it does seem quite in character for the actual “Donald First” president.  A spoiled wanna-be king who thinks he can buy anything he wants and pines for the good ‘ol days of colonialism.  He probably envisions stripping Greenland of its resources without a second thought for the sovereignty of the people who live there.

But like many a megalomaniac before, in their myopic self-absorption they miscalculate the will and power of the people which is their eventual downfall.

How much was Trump going to bid for Greenland?  http://www.comparea.org/GRL+US_AK  (size of Greenland next to Alaska)

The U.S. presently owes China more than a trillion dollars.  What does a trillion dollars look like in $100 bills?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCyzrci_4v0

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1309
Joined  01-11-2014

18 August 2019 14:40

I think buying Greenland is a great idea.

I’ll even chip-in a few bucks, but only if Trump steps down as president and moves there.

Then he can fulfill his life’s ambition and declare himself king — the King of Greenland.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9599
Joined  20-10-2006

18 August 2019 17:08

Greenland is small potatoes.  Buy Canada!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3401
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2019 17:40

Skipshot - 18 August 2019 05:08 PM

Greenland is small potatoes.  Buy Canada!

Nope ... also not for sale.  And if ya get any ideas, please note we still have our cannon from last time.

Alaska should be a Canadian territory, obviously.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

18 August 2019 18:27

Now, don’t be hasty, Jan.

Think of all the benefits you’d get if Canada became the 51st state.

You’d get Donald Trump as president!

You’d inherit an archaic election system called “the electoral college,” which helped elect both Trump and George W. Bush.

You’d get the biggest, most bloated, and financially unaccountable military industrial complex in the world.

You’d get endless war.

You’d get a crumbling infrastructure.

You’d get the best government money could buy.

You’d get 24 hour surveillance from the NSA.

You’d become part of a two party system, a system where politicians from both sides are beholden to corporate and elite wealthy interests.

You’d get “the best healthcare system in the world,” that is, unless you actually need to use it.

You’d get fellow citizens who love guns, the bible, the Rapture, conspiracy theories, white nationalism and oxycodone.

Jan, please reconsider.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2019 19:58

Well CC, I guess I should give it some serious thought since you make it sound so very tempting ...

You’d get Donald Trump as president!  No thanks – orange isn’t our colour.

You’d inherit an archaic election system called “the electoral college,” which helped elect both Trump and George W. Bush.  Nope, we like our leaders with working brain cells.

You’d get the biggest, most bloated, and financially unaccountable military industrial complex in the world.  Nah, we prefer to spend our money on stuff we really need, like snow plows.

You’d get endless war.  Nah, we like our military to be called ‘peace keepers’ – kinda contradictory but we like it that way.

You’d get a crumbling infrastructure.  We already have a bit of that, thanks.

You’d get the best government money could buy.  Money can’t buy love, baby.

You’d get 24 hour surveillance from the NSA.  No thanks.

You’d become part of a two party system, a system where politicians from both sides are beholden to corporate and elite wealthy interests.  No, we like to have lots of choices of who not to like much, and think super-rich corporations should be regulated to the hilt.

You’d get “the best healthcare system in the world,” that is, unless you actually need to use it.  Nope, we like everyone to live and be healthy.

You’d get fellow citizens who love guns, the bible, the Rapture, conspiracy theories, white nationalism and oxycodone.  No thanks, a little of these is too much and we already have some (we just tend not to elect them).

So, after much consideration, the answer is still ‘no’.  But one thing I would say about the U.S.A. – it certainly isn’t boring.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

18 August 2019 20:34

Okay Jan, I give up.

I’ve got another idea…

Image Attachments

TrumpGreenland.jpg

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

18 August 2019 21:12

Cheshire Cat - 18 August 2019 08:34 PM

Okay Jan, I give up.

I’ve got another idea…

Niced try, but that won’t work ... the people in Greenland don’t like him and they already have a monarch, sort of.

But you might be onto something – what about the uninhabited Appat Island in northwestern Greenland ...

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8627
Joined  20-02-2006

19 August 2019 11:47

Trump is jealous of Vlad because Vlad has Siberia.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 August 2019 12:18

Well Trumplethinskin is in fine form again today.  He’s called the Danish PM “nasty” for rebuffing his buying of Greenland and has cancelled his visit to Denmark like a spoiled child, wants Russia to rejoin the G7 regardless of the reasons for which they were booted out in the first place, is blaming Obama for practically everything, and has backtracked on his previous statements regarding gun regulations.

The fact that he has any supporters at all, let alone over 100 million, is difficult to comprehend.

EN
Total Posts:  21577
Joined  11-03-2007

21 August 2019 12:46

Jan_CAN - 21 August 2019 12:18 PM

Well Trumplethinskin is in fine form again today.  He’s called the Danish PM “nasty” for rebuffing his buying of Greenland and has cancelled his visit to Denmark like a spoiled child, wants Russia to rejoin the G7 regardless of the reasons for which they were booted out in the first place, is blaming Obama for practically everything, and has backtracked on his previous statements regarding gun regulations.

The fact that he has any supporters at all, let alone over 100 million, is difficult to comprehend.

Why try to comprehend it?  Just don’t let it infect you.  I don’t try to understand the subjective experience of the Ebola virus, if there is one.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 August 2019 14:21

EN - 21 August 2019 12:46 PM

Why try to comprehend it?  Just don’t let it infect you.  I don’t try to understand the subjective experience of the Ebola virus, if there is one.

One may not need to know the subjective experience of an infectious virus, but there is some need to know how it’s spread in order to contain it rather than waiting for it to die out on its own.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  31-10-2015

21 August 2019 15:06

I’m optimistic enough not to see Trumpism, with all of its nastiness, to be a natural fixture for us, and I’m counting on him being an unrepeatable aberration rather than a source of inspiration for a continued clownishly-contorted political scene here once he’s left Washington whether in 1.5 or in 5.5 years.

On the other hand, such optimism is entirely laughable. But that’s what optimism is about, right?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 August 2019 16:16

nonverbal - 21 August 2019 03:06 PM

I’m optimistic enough not to see Trumpism, with all of its nastiness, to be a natural fixture for us, and I’m counting on him being an unrepeatable aberration rather than a source of inspiration for a continued clownishly-contorted political scene here once he’s left Washington whether in 1.5 or in 5.5 years.

On the other hand, such optimism is entirely laughable. But that’s what optimism is about, right?

Although I’d like to be, I guess I’m not quite as optimistic as you are.  It seems to me that Trumpism is causing some serious social and political damage that will take longer to overcome than it was to bring about.  And it is not contained within U.S. borders but directly affects neighbours and allies.  If there is a return to some kind of normalcy after the next election, than it might be seen as an aberration as long as some lessons are learned in order to avoid a repeat.  However, if he is re-elected for another term ... gawd, I don’t even want to think about it. 

Please carry on with your optimism though; a positive attitude can be helpful.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  31-10-2015

21 August 2019 17:36

Admittedly, it’s a foolish optimism, but you never know.

‹ First  < 116 117 118 119 >