The Klein Bottle

EN
Total Posts:  21817
Joined  11-03-2007

21 August 2019 18:10

Jan_CAN - 21 August 2019 02:21 PM
EN - 21 August 2019 12:46 PM
Jan_CAN - 21 August 2019 12:18 PM

Well Trumplethinskin is in fine form again today.  He’s called the Danish PM “nasty” for rebuffing his buying of Greenland and has cancelled his visit to Denmark like a spoiled child, wants Russia to rejoin the G7 regardless of the reasons for which they were booted out in the first place, is blaming Obama for practically everything, and has backtracked on his previous statements regarding gun regulations.

The fact that he has any supporters at all, let alone over 100 million, is difficult to comprehend.

Why try to comprehend it?  Just don’t let it infect you.  I don’t try to understand the subjective experience of the Ebola virus, if there is one.

One may not need to know the subjective experience of an infectious virus, but there is some need to know how it’s spread in order to contain it rather than waiting for it to die out on its own.

OK. How do you stop it? I’m telling you there is no way except to hope that young people see through it enough to maintain the majority.  Then they must vote. Those who have it are rarely healed and many of them infect their children.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3468
Joined  21-10-2016

21 August 2019 18:31

nonverbal - 21 August 2019 05:36 PM

Admittedly, it’s a foolish optimism, but you never know.

That’s right – you never know. 

The basis of optimism is sheer terror.
— Oscar Wilde

For myself I am an optimist – it does not seem to be much use to be anything else.
— Winston Churchill

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
— Helen Keller

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 August 2019 18:46

EN - 21 August 2019 06:10 PM
Jan_CAN - 21 August 2019 02:21 PM
EN - 21 August 2019 12:46 PM
Jan_CAN - 21 August 2019 12:18 PM

Well Trumplethinskin is in fine form again today.  He’s called the Danish PM “nasty” for rebuffing his buying of Greenland and has cancelled his visit to Denmark like a spoiled child, wants Russia to rejoin the G7 regardless of the reasons for which they were booted out in the first place, is blaming Obama for practically everything, and has backtracked on his previous statements regarding gun regulations.

The fact that he has any supporters at all, let alone over 100 million, is difficult to comprehend.

Why try to comprehend it?  Just don’t let it infect you.  I don’t try to understand the subjective experience of the Ebola virus, if there is one.

One may not need to know the subjective experience of an infectious virus, but there is some need to know how it’s spread in order to contain it rather than waiting for it to die out on its own.

OK. How do you stop it? I’m telling you there is no way except to hope that young people see through it enough to maintain the majority.  Then they must vote. Those who have it are rarely healed and many of them infect their children.

Yes, a lot of hope is with young people, but also if the moderate majority become less complacent and more politically active.  And with everyone voting.  And like you have done in the last election by supporting a worthy candidate.  (I’ve been trying to better educate myself on specific issues and have become more of a letter-writer to my MP/MPP, supporting specific organizations, etc.) 

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1362
Joined  01-11-2014

30 August 2019 14:05

Former Canadian prime minister roots for Dorian to hit Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

Former Canadian Prime Minister Kim Campbell said she is hoping for a bull’s-eye hit by Hurricane Dorian on Mar-a-Lago, President Trump’s prized Florida resort and so-called Winter White House.

“I’m rooting for a direct hit on Mar a Lago!” Campbell, who served as the 19th Canadian prime minister for less than five months in 1993, tweeted on Thursday.

Trump once claimed the resort sustained $17 million in damage during the 2005 hurricane season, but an Associated Press probe found little evidence the private club took a hit.

https://tinyurl.com/y5wwmjj4

Mmmmm…

Me too.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3369
Joined  26-03-2013

10 September 2019 16:23

Maybe it was the Taliban that refused to meet with Trump…on account’a the recent travel warnings about gun violence in the United States.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17790
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 16:00

Cheshire Cat - 21 September 2019 01:21 PM
GAD - 21 September 2019 09:02 AM

The problem with progressive taxation is that is really forced welfare, people who achieve little pay little, people who achieve more pay more, a lot more. Basically if you do well you are forced to provide for more people so the government doesn’t have to, since it can’t, since governments don’t produce, they take, and you can’t take what people don’t have. But taking from those that have more doesn’t play well since every government says it wants people to be successful and have more, that is why they now have to vilify those who have more as “not paying their fair share” so they can justify taking it even through those with more are paying the same rate as everyone else.

“Taxes are what we pay for civilized society”.
— Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

The above quote is absolutely true in my opinion.

Taxes not only pay for our protection — through the military, police, fire departments, etc. — they also promote the “common good.”

I’ll assume GAD, that the common good is “bullshit” to you, to use one of your favorite phrases.

It’s not to me, however.

There’s a story I remember hearing, about how Harry Truman, after becoming president, was informed that 50% of the American population were statistically below normal intelligence in regards to IQ tests. He was astonished to hear this.

The fact is, there are huge amounts of people who were not lucky enough to born with a high, or even average intelligence; people who can handle menial jobs, but that’s about it.

One of the major problems of our time, is that these sorts of menial jobs are quickly disappearing with automation. What is to become of these people?

To a libertarian, this is a question with no meaning. “It’s their problem, not mine. I don’t care what happens to them. I take care of myself, that’s plenty.”

I am definitely not a libertarian. I see homeless people every day. And their population is growing. It’s not an abstract idea to me, but a reality. Perhaps it’s my Christian upbringing. Perhaps I’m a sentimentalist. Perhaps it’s my sense of what is fair, moral and just. But this is not right. This is not a “civilized society.” Something is seriously wrong in this country. The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer and the middle class is treading water.

If raising taxes by 2% on people who make over 50 million dollars a year, which is Elizabeth Warren’s “wealth tax” plan, is what it takes to take care of these wretched people as well as other problems, then I’m all for it. If you are fortunate enough make that kind of money, you should be magnanimous and generous enough to accept this tax increase with grace; after all, you already have everything that money could possibly buy.

Even giant global corporations are coming around, probably out of fear, towards the notion of the common good. The Business Roundtable’s most recent version of its Principles of Corporate Governance, signed by 181 major CEOs this year, states that:

“The American dream is alive, but fraying,” said Jamie Dimon, Chairman and CEO of JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Chairman of Business Roundtable. “Major employers are investing in their workers and communities because they know it is the only way to be successful over the long term. These modernized principles reflect the business community’s unwavering commitment to continue to push for an economy that serves all Americans.”

https://tinyurl.com/y5ygufqs

After years of worshiping the bottom line and the god of greed, these corporations see the writing on the wall: Help your workers and the communities they live in, or else begin to lose the very people who can buy the goods and services you produce.

The common good is good for everybody.

Bullshit. Lets do 10% tax, if you make 10K you pay 1K, if you make 100K you pay 10K, if you make 1M you pay 100K, so the millionaire is paying 100 times more tax then 10K poor guy and 10 times more then middle guy, and not because use uses 10 or 100 times more of anything but just because he has 10 or 100 times more money. But wait, 10K guy uses the same basic everything that 1ook and 1M guy does but he actually can’t even pay his share of what everything costs, and in fact needs welfare to even get by. So what do we do, oh 100K and 1M guy are now suddenly not paying their fair share for the good of 10K guy who is a money pit, and even though they are now paying far more then 10 or 100 times 10K guy who is negative, it isn’t fair and they need to pay more. so 100K an 1M guy are now told they should pay 20 times more then 10K, but now 100K says it’s not fair 1M guy has 10 times more then me and should pay a lot more, so now we 1M to pay 300 times more then 10K guy and 30 times more then 100K all while using the same same basic everything as them. But now 1M says hey that’s not fair 10M should be paying 3000 time more then me to be fair. And on and on it goes kicking that can down the road so that 10K guy never has to to jack shit to do any better…

That is you bullshit progressive tax, some one else paying YOUR fair share so you don’t have to do jack shit but fucking whine that you being a loser isn’t fair.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

21 September 2019 17:25

What’s the matter, Sunshine, everybody swiping left?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 17:53

LadyJane - 21 September 2019 05:25 PM

Given that most of them are pretty, shallow and as intellectually challenged and dishonest as you it saves me the trouble of having to tell them to fuck off.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

21 September 2019 17:58

GAD - 21 September 2019 05:53 PM

Given that most of them are pretty, shallow and as intellectually challenged and dishonest as you it saves me the trouble of having to tell them to fuck off.

Maybe it’s your anorexic mood swings that turn the ladies off.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 18:10

LadyJane - 21 September 2019 05:58 PM

Whats the matter, running around here manipulating the threads to support your agenda not fulfilling your delusions of grandeur? You have also make up shit to project on posters to try and feel better about yourself and get that self-righteous high you need so badly to convince yourself your life isn’t a complete waste.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

21 September 2019 18:14

GAD - 21 September 2019 06:10 PM

Whats the matter, running around here manipulating the threads to support your agenda not fulfilling your delusions of grandeur? You have also make up shit to project on posters to try and feel better about yourself and get that self-righteous high you need so badly to convince yourself your life isn’t a complete waste.

What’s it really, Princess, are your Lululemon’s riding up?  Is it coz the tuba player stopped following you around?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

21 September 2019 18:29

LadyJane - 21 September 2019 06:14 PM

What’s it really, Princess, are your Lululemon’s riding up?  Is it coz the tuba player stopped following you around?

Oh god, are you really fantasizing about me in tight pants with my trombone showing.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

21 September 2019 18:32

GAD - 21 September 2019 06:29 PM
LadyJane - 21 September 2019 06:14 PM

Oh god, are you really fantasizing about me in tight pants with my trombone showing.

Tuba player.  But don’t worry.  He’ll return when you gain all the weight back.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

02 October 2019 12:14

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

07 October 2019 16:10

Nhoj Morley - 07 October 2019 03:56 AM

Is anyone else reminded of when the Joker told Batman, “You complete me”?

A Riddler fer sure…but only when it’s an equal match up.  What’s happening in the Jar is more like Antifa.  When the fascists organize rallies the antifascists show up to counter those voices.  Antifa doesn’t organize rallies to protest anything.  They are a response to something.  Hardly an equal comparison.  They only show up where they’re needed.  Like Batman.  Ka–POW!

‹ First  < 117 118 119 120 121 >  Last ›