‹ First  < 130 131 132

The Klein Bottle

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1636
Joined  01-11-2014

09 September 2020 18:30

I got to play God last night, and I did it during a real life and death situation too. I must humbly admit, I am a merciful God. I was the kind of God that I truly wish existed.

Let me explain.

It was midnight and I was closing up the apartment, getting ready for bed and sleep. Before closing and locking the front door, I gazed down the stairway to the ground floor walkway below.

There, our cat, Shadow, was sitting and watching something intently.

Then I heard the cry.

It was not human, yet I felt the anguish and terror that had produced it.

Shadow had caught a mouse… again. He is amazingly good at it. We’ve had an assembly line of dead mice left at the exact spot where Shadow sat.

The mice that Shadow leaves us, can be in any number of states:

Lying peacefully on their sides — whole, no blood or visible damage — looking as if they had chosen our landing to die peacefully in their sleep;

Or

Macabrely, a bodiless head, the base of which is a bloody stump where it had once been attached to its missing body;

Or

Even more disquieting, a lone head accompanied by four tiny mouse paws daintily arranged around it.

I’m sure it was all good fun to Shadow. He had cornered a live and tasty plaything.

But to me the situation was disturbing. The high pitched shriek of terror issuing from that mouse had caught me by surprise. In my anthropomorphizing of that tiny scream, I heard the existential cry of all living things facing the despair and horror of imminent pain and death.

I took my flashlight and descended the stairs.

Shadow disappeared into the space of the carport to the left.

At first, I saw no trace of a mouse, just the artificial grass. Then I aimed the beam of my flashlight behind the carport gate which was propped open by a stone.

There he was, a black mouse, wedged in the triangular corner space between the open gate door and the solid white fence behind it.

I am here to answer your prayers, Mousie.

I kicked away the stone and gently shut the carport gate.

Suddenly exposed, the mouse began frantically leaping upward, trying, it seemed, to propel itself up and over the six foot tall fence. But he could only manage leaps of two or three inches high. Then he froze, waiting, I suppose, for the death blow to come.

I stood there still and silent, watching.

After a few moments, he recovered. He began moving to my right, along the fence towards the open front gate several yards away. About half way there, he must have found a place where he could squeeze under the fence, because he simply disappeared.

In one of his novels, speaking through the voice of one of his characters, Kurt Vonnegut Jr. wrote that the purpose of life was to be the eyes, ears and conscience of the creator of the universe.

That just about sums it up, I think.

Wouldn’t you agree, Mousie?

[ Edited: 10 September 2020 11:33 by Cheshire Cat]

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5040
Joined  19-08-2010

09 September 2020 23:34

You truly are a charitable God, reflecting the benevolence of reality.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10193
Joined  20-10-2006

10 September 2020 02:37

Your benevolence reminds me of Warner Brothers cartoons on after school TV, specifically Dodsworth - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x608zwd

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9438
Joined  20-02-2006

10 September 2020 11:57

MARTIN_UK - 09 September 2020 11:34 PM

You truly are a charitable God, reflecting the benevolence of reality.

However, as usual God has underestimated Shadow who was waiting on the other side of the fence.

https://www.art.com/products/p15063482306-sa-i6846354/eric-lewis-cat-kung-fu-new-yorker-cartoon.htm

The kung fu master you see as my avatar could bat a pea gravel pebble with one paw and as it sped away with the speed of a bullet, catch it with the other paw without moving a whisker.  He didn’t like his hunting skills to go unnoticed so would leave gall bladders on the welcome mat.  I once saw him relaxing on the grass and to my astonishment a mouse ran over him with impunity.  Only one ear moved.  He was a fan of Toshiro Mifune.  Also, like God, he didn’t like to be categorized or predictable.

Once, he came through his cat door with a gaping hole in his head saying it was just a scratch.  I believe the barred owl saw him stalking her newly fledged chick.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1636
Joined  01-11-2014

10 September 2020 13:23

unsmoked - 10 September 2020 11:57 AM

However, as usual God has underestimated Shadow who was waiting on the other side of the fence.

...Also, like God, he didn’t like to be categorized or predictable.

Yes indeed. If there really is a God of this universe, I suspect that cats may be a much closer embodiment of Him/Her/It than we humans are.

I’d like God to be compassionate and loving — a human-like entity. But if you look at nature as it really is, and if nature is a reflection of whatever created it, then cat-like behavior is a much closer match to reality.

Gall bladders, eh?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3690
Joined  26-03-2013

18 September 2020 08:44

One reason to vote early.

Image Attachments

Mailbox.jpg

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

08 October 2020 05:51

Anyone watch last night’s American Vice Presidential debate?

Do you think Pence got pink eye from The Covid independently or from having his head so far up Trump’s arse? 

I’m pretty sure that’s how Stephen Miller got it.  You think he would’ve learned his lesson after the gonorrhea.

I wonder if that fly knew he had a racist under him.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10193
Joined  20-10-2006

08 October 2020 09:16

I watched the “debate,” mostly because Ms. Harris is from my hometown.  Why did the moderator bother asking Pence questions?  He didn’t answer any of them, and instead he kept Trump’s dick in his mouth the whole time.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9438
Joined  20-02-2006

08 October 2020 11:05

I gave up when Pence again reminded the world that Trump had closed the door on the virus by prohibiting travel from China on Feb. 2, saving millions of lives.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-ban-travel-china-pandemic/

quote from this article:

“Even before the restriction was imposed, Americans and other nationalities came into the U.S. from mainland China unabated. According to an April 2020 report from The New York Times, at least 430,000 people arrived in the United States on direct flights from China since the outbreak was reported on the last day of 2019, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after the February restrictions were put in place. Thousands of these travelers flew directly from Wuhan. At least 60% of the travelers arriving in the U.S. on direct flights from China in February were not American citizens, according to government data.”

Besides, I thought everyone knew that covid-19 arrived in NYC from Europe.

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/most-early-new-york-covid-19-cases-came-from-europe

“Officially, the first case of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) was reported in New York City on February 29, but a new report based on genomic analysis suggests the disease was introduced as early as January, and that most cases were linked to Europe, rather than Asia.”

As head of the U.S. task force on the covid-19 pandemic, could Pence not know these things?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

18 October 2020 13:23

“We live in an age when you say casually to somebody ‘What’s the story on that?’ and they can run to the computer and tell you within five seconds. That’s fine, but sometimes I’d just as soon continue wondering. We have a deficit of wonder right now.”

~ Tom Waits

‹ First  < 130 131 132