1 2 3 > 

Alcohol vs. Cannabis: Effects on Discourse

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6749
Joined  08-12-2006

01 July 2016 17:43

Is cannabis really a greater danger to society than alcohol? The fact that alcohol is legal but cannabis is not implies so.

I propose an experiment to determine whether this is in fact true, an experiment that can be conducted right here on this forum. The experiment would consist of two threads, both on the same topic, or maybe different topics, but with the key difference being that posters on the Drunk Thread would have to be drunk to participate, whereas posters on the Stoned Thread would have to be stoned. We could then compare the discourse on the two threads and draw conclusions about the relative impact of alcohol and cannabis thereon; and, extrapolating, on human behavior in general. Are laws against cannabis, but not alcohol, justified?

Anyone interested in participating? You’ll have to be willing to get good and drunk or stoned before posting.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

01 July 2016 18:29

Antisocialdarwinist - 01 July 2016 05:43 PM

Is cannabis really a greater danger to society than alcohol? The fact that alcohol is legal but cannabis is not implies so.

I propose an experiment to determine whether this is in fact true, an experiment that can be conducted right here on this forum. The experiment would consist of two threads, both on the same topic, or maybe different topics, but with the key difference being that posters on the Drunk Thread would have to be drunk to participate, whereas posters on the Stoned Thread would have to be stoned. We could then compare the discourse on the two threads and draw conclusions about the relative impact of alcohol and cannabis thereon; and, extrapolating, on human behavior in general. Are laws against cannabis, but not alcohol, justified?

Anyone interested in participating? You’ll have to be willing to get good and drunk or stoned before posting.

I’m 100% in. As you all probably know getting a discreet trial with marijuana is very difficult since most health related testing places are still scared of the federal government’s tear 1 narcotic bullshit categorization of it. I’m in. Greatest idea ever. Can I volunteer for one side or the other?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21573
Joined  11-03-2007

02 July 2016 07:51

Early in a drunk I feel smart.  Early in a stoning I feel stupid.  Later in both of them I feel unconscious.  I don’t feel dangerous in either of them, but maybe that’s the danger.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17602
Joined  15-02-2008

02 July 2016 09:05

The “What are you Drinking” should cover the drunk thread. I think there are many 1000’s of threads here that would cover the stoned thread already.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

02 July 2016 15:33

GAD - 02 July 2016 09:05 AM

The “What are you Drinking” should cover the drunk thread. I think there are many 1000’s of threads here that would cover the stoned thread already.

Does the butt ferrie condone smoking weed?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

02 July 2016 16:35

Jb8989 - 02 July 2016 03:33 PM

If that is what you need to open your ass up to receive his odoriferous wisdom, he has no objection. He also supports the legalization of all drugs.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7654
Joined  22-02-2014

02 July 2016 19:34

I don’t drink enough to get drunk, but I’ll jump in on the other thread

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

03 July 2016 06:29

GAD - 02 July 2016 04:35 PM
Jb8989 - 02 July 2016 03:33 PM

If that is what you need to open your ass up to receive his odoriferous wisdom, he has no objection. He also supports the legalization of all drugs.

It appears that the Butt Fairy is a libertarian.

jdrnd

jdrnd
Total Posts:  5899
Joined  25-08-2009

03 July 2016 06:31

EN - 02 July 2016 07:51 AM

Early in a drunk I feel smart.  Early in a stoning I feel stupid.  Later in both of them I feel unconscious.  I don’t feel dangerous in either of them, but maybe that’s the danger.

Alcohol consumption can cause ataxia.
Both are disinhibiting and influence judgment

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

03 July 2016 07:01

jdrnd - 03 July 2016 06:31 AM
EN - 02 July 2016 07:51 AM

Alcohol consumption can cause ataxia.
Both are disinhibiting and influence judgment

I was only talking about how I feel.  I’m stupid and from Texas to begin with.  Booze and weed don’t change that.  But I agree with you that the Butt Fairy will vote for Gary Johnson.  He is the coolest of the candidates now actually in the race.  He may get 8% and no electoral votes, but he’ll light up after the election and be just fine.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

04 July 2016 13:58

I’m tempted to suggest debating whether marijuana should be legal, with stoners on one side and drunks on the other. But legalization doesn’t seem like a very controversial issue around here, at least not from what I’ve seen. What’s needed is an issue that generates heated (emotionally charged) disagreement. Here are a few possibilities:

- Isn’t claiming to know that God doesn’t exist intellectually dishonest?
- What’s the best definition of consciousness?
- What’s the best way to prevent gun crime?
- Does Islam cause more harm than other religions?
- Is the wrongness of stoning adulteresses objective or merely a belief?
- Other

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

04 July 2016 18:02

Antisocialdarwinist - 04 July 2016 01:58 PM

I’m tempted to suggest debating whether marijuana should be legal, with stoners on one side and drunks on the other. But legalization doesn’t seem like a very controversial issue around here, at least not from what I’ve seen. What’s needed is an issue that generates heated (emotionally charged) disagreement. Here are a few possibilities:

- Other

1.  Yes.
2.  The mental registering of experiences.
3.  For people to stop shooting each other.
4.  Yes, and other Muslims are the main victims.
5.  A belief, but a good one.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 July 2016 19:00

Antisocialdarwinist - 04 July 2016 01:58 PM

- Other

- no; long live the Butt Fairy
- that you can debate what the best definition is
- 88 magnums
- yes
- an objective belief

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7654
Joined  22-02-2014

05 July 2016 20:42

Ready and reporting for duty!

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

06 July 2016 20:21

I’m afraid there aren’t enough people on this forum willing to get drunk or stoned for the sake of Science to make this experiment work.

June

June
Total Posts:  337
Joined  09-06-2013

06 July 2016 20:48

Look.  By comparison, I was a back up pitcher during my softball playing days.  First base,  center, and left field were my areas due to my ability to out throw anyone else, and not miss the mark.  Nothing got past me so I played first base.  Only when we exhausted every other back up pitcher did they use me to pitch, and that was scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

I like cheap beer and cheap wine.  Pot disgusts me.  The only kind I’ve tried is Mexican dirt weed, and occasionally Columbian way back when.  My brain would come to a stop and download crap like an engine that would seize up and drop a bunch of stuff on the road.  Not very pretty.

I do best with coffee and early morning hours.

So what I’m saying is I’m content to lurk and read, but if you don’t have enough players I’ll be your reluctant pitcher.  Just keep in mind if it gets to serious I’m out…

Oh, and sacrificing for the sake of science sounds like a worthy and noble cause.  Can’t get much more succinct than the answers I’ve provided.

1)  Yes.
2)  Awareness
3)  Depends on where the gun crime is happening.
4) Yes
5) A belief

[ Edited: 06 July 2016 21:23 by June]

1 2 3 >