< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

Our Patron’s Recommendations:

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6337
Joined  22-02-2005

13 September 2016 09:58

There were great retrospectives on the original Star Trek series this last week. If you come across the first pilot in its restored version with all the dialogue intact, check it out. It is quite a surprise. Like CBS said, too cerebal. But in a good way.

Many fan-versions of the series have been expensively undertaken. Most of them make me cringe and want to hurl my nerf tricorder at the screen. There is one that keeps me relaxed without any thought of jumping through the screen and fixing things that offend my personal sense of Star Trek. Any lingering desire to build sets in my basement and get it right have faded. Someone got it right.

He is Vic Mignogna and his series of Star Trek Continues episodes are as close to the fourth season of TOS that might have been as one could hope for. He writes, directs, does capentry, composes incidental music and plays Captain Kirk admirably. It’s not a Shatner imitation. Vic digs deep into Kirk’s character right down to the always bent elbows.

Try the sequel to Mirror, Mirror called The Fairest of Them All. It starts right where the original ends. It is efin brilliant. Michael Forest returns as Apollo in a follow-up story that actually improves the original episode it’s based on. All the episodes I have seen so far have been decent to fully memorable. Memorable is not a word I would use for any other incarnation. Except that SNL thing with Belushi.

Some of the actors take a bit of adjustment and seem off the mark at first. They all grew on me. James Doohan’s son Chris Doohan plays a campy Scotty but the character is better off in his hands than anyone else’s.

The sets and camera work recreate the look of the original with perfection. Everyone involved seems to be having a blast. Hats off to Vic for doing what some of us could only imagine being crazy enough to undertake. A real stand up job.

If Star Trek Discovery disappoints the fan base, check this out. It won’t.

[ Edited: 13 September 2016 10:01 by Nhoj Morley]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

13 September 2016 11:10

Nhoj Morley - 13 September 2016 09:58 AM

...check this out…

Cool.  I wondered what kind of lunatics watched those.  Gag reels even!

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9286
Joined  29-01-2010

18 September 2016 17:56

I am in a morbid mood, so I decided to read the letters of John Keats.  I am at the point in which he is coughing a lot and reflecting about his fear that ” he shalt cease to be before his pen has gleaned his teaming brain” 

Next shall be the letters of Van Gogh.

I think I may be the emotional equivalent of a “cutter”

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17531
Joined  15-02-2008

18 September 2016 19:07

I watched the first episode, it’s a prefect knockoff of the original, this could have aired in it’s place and no one would have known the difference.

RIS

RIS
Total Posts:  135
Joined  19-09-2016

01 October 2016 10:20

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

03 October 2016 06:49

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2733
Joined  19-01-2015

03 October 2016 07:07

LadyJane - 03 October 2016 06:49 AM

Westworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4

thanks, going to check it out.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2733
Joined  19-01-2015

04 October 2016 02:15

Westworld

really good start.

I had to laugh out loud when the Saloon piano started playing “Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

04 October 2016 05:29

Twissel - 04 October 2016 02:15 AM

Westworld

really good start.

I had to laugh out loud when the Saloon piano started playing “Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden.

“Paint It Black” too!  This show has already somehow exceeded my expectations.

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

05 October 2016 19:21

The Imitation Game movie.  A classic piece of history.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  12-07-2016

06 October 2016 01:41

Seconded.

Another piece of history, in its own dark way, is this documentary: The Agony And The Ecstasy Of Phil Spector. It is an extended interview with Spector during or just after his first trial. What a glimpse into a mind. It is cut with footage of his trial, and underscored with his greatest hits and subtitles giving a musical critique. Multi tasking watching. Very rich. And not a little disturbing. Outstanding piece of film making.   

https://youtu.be/-3r6cXw9nyU—trailer

[ Edited: 06 October 2016 01:50 by Ola]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  31-10-2015

24 October 2016 17:46

Do the Donald with Tom Greene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jARtuOq-WRc

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

24 October 2016 17:52

GDKOpinionator - 25 August 2016 02:53 PM

I guess that I’ll make some recommendations…

Current Pay-TV or streaming:
Mr. Robot
Billions
Game Of Thrones
True Detective, Season 1
The Night Of
Homeland

Classic Sci-Fi:
Star Trek (TOS)
Babylon 5

Classic Sit-Com:
The Big Bang Theory
Frasier
Cheers

Books:
Fiction
Dune (first three Herbert books)
Foundation (all Asimov books)

LOTR
Silmarillion
The Hobbit

Non Fiction
Slaying The Badger
Étape

Read/saw bolded.

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  12-07-2016

25 October 2016 12:38

I’m currently re-watching two documentaries worth a re-watch. Especially pertinent now (at US election time).

1. From HBO https://youtu.be/gi0jP4CBsc0 Nixon by Nixon - In His Own Words

Can’t tell if it’s a horror or a comedy but loving it.

For pure comedy, but just the same words, I watched “Nixon’s the one” (TV show) starring Harry Shearer. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2585194/

2. From Errol Morris https://youtu.be/J-NSyMTpkYI The Unknown Known

“Former United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, discusses his career in Washington D.C. from his days as a congressman in the early 1960s to planning the invasion of Iraq in 2003”.

First class interview.

Here’s a quote from the film, it is Rumsfeld describing Saddam. While not for a minute suggesting that Trump is comparable to Saddam - clearly he is not - I was very struck by how well the description might fit Trump. Just my opinion.

“He postured constantly, and was presenting himself as the great leader, which dictators apparently do… they foster that, and have school kids praise them, [and] make sure that their image is everywhere, whether in a photograph or a statue, and cause people to bow and kowtow. And, you know, if you see your picture everywhere long enough, and if you see enough statues, pretty soon you might even begin to believe that. He almost became a caricature of himself! (by my standards, as an outsider, not prone to worship idols). He was living his image of himself - which was pretend.”

[ Edited: 25 October 2016 12:41 by Ola]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3306
Joined  21-10-2016

28 October 2016 18:52

Some of my favourites, old and new:

TV series:
  The Walking Dead
  Downton Abbey
  Game of Thrones
  The Sopranos
  Star Trek – all versions (looking forward to Star Trek Discovery in January)

Movies:
  The Martian
  In Bruges
  Alien / Aliens / Aliens-3
  The Invention of Lying

Books – Authors (fiction & non-fiction):
  Margaret Atwood
  Ursula K. Leguin
  Robert J. Sawyer – Hominids / Humans / Hybrids (Trilogy)
  Stephen Jay Gould

Music:
  The Beatles
  Creedence Clearwater Revival
  Janis Joplin
  Joan Baez
  (What can I say – I was born in the 50’s)

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›