< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

Our Patron’s Recommendations:

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3294
Joined  21-10-2016

29 October 2016 05:33

Under “Music”, I forgot to list Bob Dylan.
(Don’t know how I could forget when he’s been in the news lately since being awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.)

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  31-10-2015

15 November 2016 14:19

Has anyone else noticed Pamela Adlon’s recently new FX TV show? She’s a voice artist who has a truly talented voice! For the past few years, she’s been a compelling and important part of Louis C.K.‘s FX show, which is taking a break these days. She now heads her own somewhat but not completely fictional family with Better Things.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9554
Joined  20-10-2006

16 November 2016 09:27

Who else needs a break from the election?

Some Joan Jett works for me.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4903
Joined  19-08-2010

16 November 2016 10:22

Skipshot - 16 November 2016 09:27 AM

Who else needs a break from the election?

Some Joan Jett works for me.

PLEASE!.. yes!

Good grief…

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  12-07-2016

06 December 2016 06:38

“Bridge of Spies”
“BFG”

Both of them Spielberg films. I’m not really recommending them, although they were fine enough, but I’m recommending Mark Rylance who, without a shadow of a doubt, held both of these films together and made them worth watching. He’s a remarkable actor, I feel ashamed of myself not to have tuned in to him before now, I think I am at risk of becoming a superfan.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6716
Joined  08-12-2006

09 January 2017 07:45

I Dropped Acid and Saw Into the Future: My Surreal First Time at CES (Consumer Electronics Show)

What finally brought me to the edge of emotional break was the carpeting.

There’s nothing particularly special about the carpeting in the Las Vegas Convention center. It’s bright red, crisscrossed with other primary colors, loud like most convention center carpets. Easy to clean. But at that moment, with nervous urgency and greed shimmering off the crowd around me, music and lights and gadgets and the smell of stadium food, reality buckled. I started to laugh, and suddenly all of my emotional faucets were on full blast, and then I started to cry. Then I was sobbing.

Maybe the Consumer Electronics Show was a bad place to take LSD for the first time.

The display that came next was less gentle to my sparking brain. Five or six androids on tiny wheels, maybe three feet tall, turned and blinked in unison on a smooth white surface. On their chests were screens displaying a cartoon heart, like a child’s drawing of a heart. The hearts were beating. Shitty pop music thrummed. One robot, separated from the dance crew, turned and blinked alone. I felt strongly that the robot on the outside was ostracized because she was too fat, or because she’d hit on one of the dance team robot’s boyfriends. Either way, she was not sitting with the cool robots at lunch. I felt really bad for her. I couldn’t look her in the plastic eyes. I wanted to tell her it was going to get better.

My companion pulled me away, toward another display of more robots. I can’t look at that right now, I said in an extremely bossy voice. I hate that robot. That robot is not here for the right reasons.

Above my head, a monorail flew by like a dragon. Every breath felt like a laugh. In my peripheral vision, a woman very blatantly held out her cell phone to take a photo of me. She was only a few feet away. I turned to tell her to mind her own business, I’m no celebrity, I’m just an amateur idiot drug-doer getting some air. She wasn’t a real woman; she was an ad for Polaroid.

I’d been warned that the drug would make me “sensitive to vibes,” which I interpreted as hippie talk for “overdramatic about liking or disliking things.” This turned out to be true. On my rocket-ship flight through CES, I very dramatically did not like booths advertising new speakers. I did not like cars. I did not like the robots. I did not like the large kitchen appliances. I envisioned some rich idiot who doesn’t know how to cook outfitting his dumb kitchen with them because they’re expensive, because they are a thing to have that tells visitors he has money. He’d never use them. It’d be like buying a racehorse and then turning it into glue. A wasted good kitchen is a goddamn crime. An expensive dishwasher won’t make your trophy wife love you for your personality.

(By Erin Gloria Ryan)

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

09 January 2017 16:41

Sully.  Excellent film

Ola

Ola
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  12-07-2016

19 January 2017 02:51

I presume everyone watched “Bright Lights”, the 2016 HBO documentary about Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher shown this month? I’m recommending it to everyone I meet.

In my tiny mind, it’s part of a trilogy.

“Bright Lights” - https://youtu.be/7qO2wJwiNYE - trailer

“Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work” - https://youtu.be/2fnojZw54ls (trailer)

And if you haven’t already watched “Grey Gardens”.... you’ve got a treat of a documentary awaiting you.
https://youtu.be/AI62e0fRieo (trailer)
https://youtu.be/UTNWgb75cIc (full film)

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2729
Joined  19-01-2015

07 February 2017 05:20

Currently reading

We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32109569-we-are-legion-we-are-bob

- I haven’t gotten far yet, but I totally love it. It’s (as far as I can tell) the first book of Dennis Taylor, Amazon self-published, I think, and it’s way better written than many long-term author’s works.

I believe many members might find it interesting to read a book written from the perspective of an A.I..

Dennis Campbell

Dennis Campbell
Total Posts:  19830
Joined  20-07-2007

08 February 2017 06:33

Twissel - 07 February 2017 05:20 AM

Currently reading

We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32109569-we-are-legion-we-are-bob

- I haven’t gotten far yet, but I totally love it. It’s (as far as I can tell) the first book of Dennis Taylor, Amazon self-published, I think, and it’s way better written than many long-term author’s works.

I believe many members might find it interesting to read a book written from the perspective of an A.I..

Read it yesterday.  Nicely done.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8579
Joined  20-02-2006

23 February 2017 10:32

‘LAND OF MINE’ - a Danish film nominated for an Oscar.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

21 March 2017 22:45

Hey, Martin!  Will you do me a massive favor and let me live through you?  I need you to go to the Jesus And Mary Chain show in Newcastle this Thursday, March 23rd at the Newcastle Riverside and somehow let me watch the show through your eyes.  Thanks.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4903
Joined  19-08-2010

22 March 2017 00:54

Skipshot - 21 March 2017 10:45 PM

Hey, Martin!  Will you do me a massive favor and let me live through you?  I need you to go to the Jesus And Mary Chain show in Newcastle this Thursday, March 23rd at the Newcastle Riverside and somehow let me watch the show through your eyes.  Thanks.

Is it a simple possession you are asking for, nothing creepy I hope, or would it not be easier to do a bit of that remote viewing shenanigans, or a little astral projection?
Tell you what, leave it with me, I will enter your dreams later and we can talk about it properly.

Jesus And Mary Chain must be getting old now. I’ve seen a few goodies at the old Riverside… oops.

[ Edited: 22 March 2017 00:58 by MARTIN_UK]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

22 March 2017 07:12

MARTIN_UK - 22 March 2017 12:54 AM
Skipshot - 21 March 2017 10:45 PM

Is it a simple possession you are asking for, nothing creepy I hope, or would it not be easier to do a bit of that remote viewing shenanigans, or a little astral projection?
Tell you what, leave it with me, I will enter your dreams later and we can talk about it properly.

Jesus And Mary Chain must be getting old now. I’ve seen a few goodies at the old Riverside… oops.

I ask for nothing more than your eyes and ears for only the duration of the show.  I won’t possess your voice, nor be another voice in your head, nor control any aspect of your body.  Make sure you go to the WC before I enter.

I like the astral projection idea.  That would be preferable if you can help make that happen.

Yep, they are getting old, in their late fifties, but what else are they going to do?  Sell insurance?  They got bills to pay, too.

https://youtu.be/zGCjpkewg5g

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3294
Joined  21-10-2016

22 March 2017 18:56

Could anyone here recommend book(s) or author(s) on the subject of prehistoric (Cenozoic?) animals (particularly mammals, and not dinosaurs) of North America?

I’ve done a bit of an online search, but it is rather difficult to figure out what would be good reading on this subject.  I’m not asking anyone to do any research; just thought that perhaps someone has done reading in this area and could make a recommendation.  I’m looking for a book(s) written by a biologist/paleontologist, but for the layperson.  (For example, I’ve enjoyed reading most of Stephen Jay Gould’s books.)

Any recommendations?

< 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›