‹ First  < 4 5 6

Our Patron’s Recommendations:

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3301
Joined  21-10-2016

20 June 2018 18:47

Just happened upon a great movie on regular cable last night.  If you like a good survival and love story, you might also enjoy The Mountain Between Us (Official Trailer), with Kate Winslet and Idris Elba.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

19 November 2018 08:09

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

20 November 2018 16:27

Airing tonight on PBS Frontline…Documenting Hate: New American Nazis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q3efcWLYJw

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

22 April 2019 17:23

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6335
Joined  22-02-2005

26 April 2019 02:54

I’m posting a recommendation for Ian Bremmer’s show G-Zero World because it is on in a half hour and I don’t want to forget. It is weirdly cool with great interviews and frequently amusing puppet segments.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6335
Joined  22-02-2005

14 August 2019 01:06

I have for many years now been catching episodes of Robert Lawrence Kuhn’s TV series Closer to Truth. It appears on PBS at odd hours, usually an early morning slot before the yoga lady. Kuhn talks, very slowly, with academic folks about the nature of God, consciousness and reality. Many of his guests have also done The Boss’s podcast. In this show, the heavier the subject, the slower the speech. I’ve seen most of the episodes. I’ve learned some things and my mind has been opened to some new questions that I never asked before.

For example, how do these folks feed themselves? They carry on as if spending years pondering the finer points of Christ’s Incarnation or extended consciousness is their job. Why would anyone pay someone to do this? It’s plain crazy. I assume they are all on some kind of welfare program. They spend or blow their stipend on a fancy wardrobe, which is why they are often seen gorging themselves at hotel buffets.

Mr. Kuhn usually finds these heady folks hanging out at four-star vacation resorts sipping cocktails on the balcony overlooking scenic splendor. It will be an ‘event’ with a title like, Conference on the Long Term Security of Eternal Uncertainty About Stuff. Once on this silver-ladled gravy train, no one wants to get off. That longevity is assured by avoiding Results at all costs and maintaining the illusion of incremental Progress. That’s what most engineers do, and I have to wonder if that is what is going on here in the banquet room as well.

How does one judge the product produced by their combined efforts? For example, what if God, in being timeless and eternal, saw all of time and space at once and could tweak things in the universe like pruning a cosmic shrubbery? Not to be harsh, but I’ve heard that notion and more from band mates after a couple of sugar cubes and a ninety minute rendition of Tobacco Road.

To be fair, it must be hard to work out complex problems while dazzled by a sunlit mountain range or a thundering shoreline or sunset on a forest trail. The comfy chairs, the gorgeous wood paneling and brilliant stained glass make for lofty surrounding that do not manage to lift much of the conversation from the mundane. It might sound more intellectual if overheard from the next booth of a local pub or a Chuck E Cheese.

Instead, Mr. Kuhn visits places like an Institute for Theological Research where people think hard about Christ’s divinity or how a three-being monotheism works. I’m left wondering who mows all that grass and pays for the landscaping. The facilities seem way out of scale with the importance of the problem. There’s plenty of room for lots of people to think hard about more pressing concerns. I think issues of the Trinity can be handled at a roadside kiosk or with an RV with a trailer.

Once someone admits that they are offering a theological explanation of theology, the conversation becomes too far from truth. I want to know why theology is a given before I can care about God’s body parts or questionable habits. Even when the subject is consciousness, I still have a problem with the givens. They postulate a preposterous thing and argue over who has a preposterous enough idea for how it could work. One more round of cocktails might lure the Truth close enough to pounce on it.

I exaggerate a bit. It is cool to find such a show anywhere and I am a fan of many who have appeared on it. However, I would place these conversations in settings where normal people discuss such topics. Some of the best chats about the origin of the universe take place on a wooden bench in front of a row of tumbling dryer windows.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15809
Joined  17-12-2006

14 August 2019 08:34

Nhoj Morley - 14 August 2019 01:06 AM

I have for many years now been catching episodes of Robert Lawrence Kuhn’s TV series Closer to Truth. It appears on PBS at odd hours, usually an early morning slot before the yoga lady. Kuhn talks, very slowly, with academic folks about the nature of God, consciousness and reality. Many of his guests have also done The Boss’s podcast. In this show, the heavier the subject, the slower the speech. I’ve seen most of the episodes. I’ve learned some things and my mind has been opened to some new questions that I never asked before.

For example, how do these folks feed themselves? They carry on as if spending years pondering the finer points of Christ’s Incarnation or extended consciousness is their job. Why would anyone pay someone to do this? It’s plain crazy. I assume they are all on some kind of welfare program. They spend or blow their stipend on a fancy wardrobe, which is why they are often seen gorging themselves at hotel buffets.

Mr. Kuhn usually finds these heady folks hanging out at four-star vacation resorts sipping cocktails on the balcony overlooking scenic splendor. It will be an ‘event’ with a title like, Conference on the Long Term Security of Eternal Uncertainty About Stuff. Once on this silver-ladled gravy train, no one wants to get off. That longevity is assured by avoiding Results at all costs and maintaining the illusion of incremental Progress. That’s what most engineers do, and I have to wonder if that is what is going on here in the banquet room as well.

How does one judge the product produced by their combined efforts? For example, what if God, in being timeless and eternal, saw all of time and space at once and could tweak things in the universe like pruning a cosmic shrubbery? Not to be harsh, but I’ve heard that notion and more from band mates after a couple of sugar cubes and a ninety minute rendition of Tobacco Road.

To be fair, it must be hard to work out complex problems while dazzled by a sunlit mountain range or a thundering shoreline or sunset on a forest trail. The comfy chairs, the gorgeous wood paneling and brilliant stained glass make for lofty surrounding that do not manage to lift much of the conversation from the mundane. It might sound more intellectual if overheard from the next booth of a local pub or a Chuck E Cheese.

Instead, Mr. Kuhn visits places like an Institute for Theological Research where people think hard about Christ’s divinity or how a three-being monotheism works. I’m left wondering who mows all that grass and pays for the landscaping. The facilities seem way out of scale with the importance of the problem. There’s plenty of room for lots of people to think hard about more pressing concerns. I think issues of the Trinity can be handled at a roadside kiosk or with an RV with a trailer.

Once someone admits that they are offering a theological explanation of theology, the conversation becomes too far from truth. I want to know why theology is a given before I can care about God’s body parts or questionable habits. Even when the subject is consciousness, I still have a problem with the givens. They postulate a preposterous thing and argue over who has a preposterous enough idea for how it could work. One more round of cocktails might lure the Truth close enough to pounce on it.

I exaggerate a bit. It is cool to find such a show anywhere and I am a fan of many who have appeared on it. However, I would place these conversations in settings where normal people discuss such topics. Some of the best chats about the origin of the universe take place on a wooden bench in front of a row of tumbling dryer windows.

The envy of the outsider looking in. Back in my salad days, while still an egg, I happened to spend some brief moments at a fancy club in Santa Barbara and saw nirvana. There, sitting by the pool, apparently doing nothing although occasionally making a note on a writing pad that lay on a table beside him, was a guy who seemed to be spending most of his time eying the young ladies who lounged about the pool, or bathed therein. I asked somebody who he was and they replied that he was a theoretical physicist who worked at some sort of local think tank. There formed in my center of will and inspiration the complete and irresistible impulse, as a dominant guiding light for career development, and this in a young mind that had already learned that certain social roles allowed one to sit back with eyes closed while claiming to be “thinking,” the goal of achieving a similar, as is said, gravy train; in line with advice that I would only read several years in the future, to the effect that one ought to arrange ones life so as to have a happy old age. This, combined with the conviction which had been imprinted on my formatory apparatus many years before to the effect that a fortunate life was one in which one could supply oneself with the necessities of food, clothing, shelter, and such requirements with a minimum of effort and through the exercise of “doing what one wanted” led, in the fullness of time, to a career whose unfolding has been very much like the tale of the young man who went to find his destiny and, through a series of fortuitous coincidences which he, as do all of us, assumed were a result of his merit showing forth to gain him the goodies, ended up married to the kings daughter with half of the kingdom as dowery.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1780
Joined  31-10-2015

14 August 2019 10:46

Writing long sentences can result in the security of tenure (just ribbing you, Burt), but true riches are achieved by way of conning wage earners and others of their ilk. That is—of their money!

[ Edited: 14 August 2019 10:48 by nonverbal]

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

14 August 2019 15:45

nonverbal - 14 August 2019 10:46 AM

Writing long sentences can result in the security of tenure (just ribbing you, Burt), but true riches are achieved by way of conning wage earners and others of their ilk. That is—of their money!

Send me money, I will respond in an appropriate way.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

14 August 2019 16:40

burt - 14 August 2019 03:45 PM

15 Quadloo’s to the snowbirder…

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

14 August 2019 18:33

Jefe - 14 August 2019 04:40 PM

For that, you get the bird.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7079
Joined  15-02-2007

15 August 2019 09:02

burt - 14 August 2019 06:33 PM

But, is it a majestic bird?  wink

burt

burt
Joined  17-12-2006

15 August 2019 17:25

Jefe - 15 August 2019 09:02 AM
burt - 14 August 2019 06:33 PM

But, is it a majestic bird?  wink

Sure, not any old scraggly type bird the cat might drag in, perhaps a pterodactyl even.

‹ First  < 4 5 6