Regarding the issue of growing beard in Islam.

Irfan

Irfan
Total Posts:  8
Joined  29-12-2010

01 September 2016 20:04

I am sorry what I am about to mention might seem psychopathological, but here’s what I think:
Premise 1: Growing beard is either mandatory or it is not.
Premise 2: If we take that hadith into consideration in which Muhammad turned his face away from the people who had their beard shaved and said, “My Lord commanded me that moustaches to be trimmed and beard shaved”, we see that there is a commandment from a higher authority (Allah) to an authority lower than him (Prophet Muhammad).
Premise 3: Not all commandment from a higher authority to a lower authority are necessarily mandatory, as it usually happens here on earth amongst human beings.

Conclusion: Therefore, if we assume Premise 3 to apply to Allah, we cannot say for sure from the above hadith that keeping beard is mandatory, but we can definitely say that it was disliked by Prophet Muhammad since he turned his face away from those who shaved.

Is my argument sound?

Celal

Celal
Total Posts:  3164
Joined  07-08-2011

01 September 2016 22:23

Never Mind.

[ Edited: 01 September 2016 22:30 by Celal]

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

02 September 2016 05:19

Just a note ...

When you’re arguing theology you’re looking for sound logic, not so much sound argumentation.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6389
Joined  31-01-2012

02 September 2016 12:22

Irfan - 01 September 2016 08:04 PM

I am sorry what I am about to mention might seem psychopathological, but here’s what I think:
Premise 1: Growing beard is either mandatory or it is not.
Premise 2: If we take that hadith into consideration in which Muhammad turned his face away from the people who had their beard shaved and said, “My Lord commanded me that moustaches to be trimmed and beard shaved”, we see that there is a commandment from a higher authority (Allah) to an authority lower than him (Prophet Muhammad).
Premise 3: Not all commandment from a higher authority to a lower authority are necessarily mandatory, as it usually happens here on earth amongst human beings.

Conclusion: Therefore, if we assume Premise 3 to apply to Allah, we cannot say for sure from the above hadith that keeping beard is mandatory, but we can definitely say that it was disliked by Prophet Muhammad since he turned his face away from those who shaved.

Is my argument sound?

Harry Potter.

sojourner

sojourner
Total Posts:  5970
Joined  09-11-2012

02 September 2016 17:37

I was raised as a Christian, so if answering from a religious perspective, I would tell you to pray about it. When I was a teenager I used to do that (pray in a sort of conversational way, I mean,) about homosexuality (Societally, in my particular cohort, homophobia was very much Bad [I had, in retrospect, an unusual number of gay or ‘obviously going to be gay’ friends, maybe because I’ve always had a thing for people who are a bit unconventional] but in society at large there were certainly still sentiments that it was anti-Christian). So I did feel a lot of worry about ‘sinning’ on that topic…. that was before I realized the whole “the Bible says” argument isn’t particularly sound because the Bible talks about a lot of things, including murder and slavery (homosexuality might be a bit different in that it shows up in the New Testament, but, if I remember correctly, it was Paul who seemed to have a thing about it, I don’t think Jesus ever mentioned it. And, again, if I remember correctly, Paul’s assumption was that homosexuality was the result of something like a party atmosphere gone awry like “Whew, leave humans to their own devices and everybody will start having sex with everybody and maybe the furniture too!”, not the idea that this might be some people’s natural orientation.) I don’t know about Islam, but I imagine if there were things said in that time that no one would dream of practicing now, it’s safe to assume that some of that message was meant to be specific to that time and place. God is not temporal, right?